Friday, March 26, 2010

day 47 - 36 days to go... running for miles

First of all - are you all digging the new blog layout?  I thought it was really cute for a running blog.  I like to switch it up.

Today was a five mile run.  Wow that's hard.  I am proud to say that I did it in 1:15 which is 1 minute quicker than last week and works out to a 4.0 mph.  I know this isn't great speed.  I'll admit I'm a little worried about the marathon.  I can increase distance or speed but increasing both seems to be pretty tough. We'll see.  My goal is to do it under the 3:30 required to get that fricken medal!  Maybe when I take it outside again, things will get better.  It gets dull inside on the treadmill!



Next week I'll need to go SEVEN miles!!  OMG!  It's so nerve racking but I guess the only way to be able to run 13 is to run seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven and twelve first. Yee haw!

Question to you runners.  I warmed up, cooled down, stretched prior and after the run.  Came home and iced down.  Mid ice, my feet curled up like the wicked witch of east into awful cramps.  My entire foot felt a "charlie horse" grip of pain - what the hell is that from!?  If that's happening after only 5 miles, I shudder to think about what's going to happen after 7,10, 13 miles!!  Anyone have experience with this? My dad thinks i might need potassium.  I have an allergy to banana's so any alternative suggestions might be good?

Tomorrow I weigh in.  I'm feeling slender this week and hope for another good weigh in (I wore a pair of size 12's yesterday - the smallest size I've worn for years and years!)  :)

By the way, my friend wrote this awesome cookbook - if you like healthy, low fat cooking with lots of taste, check it out:

Secrets of a Skinny Chef: 100 Decadent, Guilt-Free Recipes

XO
Jen

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Your dad is right. I take potassium tablets. When I forget I get charlie horses also. Totally normal.

As for training, as long as you get up to 8 miles you'll be fine for the race. I've never ran more than 8 on training runs. It's just too tedious and time consuming. Now.... When we start training for a full 26 we'll need to do real training runs. But first things first. You are doing GREAT!!! I wish you were here to do the 7 miles down the bike path at Santa Monica. Running along the ocean makes it go by so much quicker.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and I love the new layout! I meant to comment on yesterday's blog.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I will pick up some potassium tablets.

I sooo wish I was able to run along the Pacific Ocean!!