Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 29 - 54 days to go! Running around town


Today was run for 2 miles day.    I gave up on the official training (run for 2 mins and walk for 1) that the training calls for.  I feel it benefits me more to try to run for as long as I can and walk when I need to.  I'm mindful of rest days and keeping up the other protocol but I feel ready to run a little more.   I ran for close to a mile in one direction and probably about 3/4 of a mile back home (with walking in between for a total of 2 miles).

Took the training outside and it was pretty good.  It definitely was a little more challenging and I found it a little frustrating not to have the "control" I feel like I have on a treadmill... (setting pace, knowing distance, calories burned, incline.)  I felt like I was more out of breath and there was more of a burn in my legs - yet I felt like I was going slower.  I guess it's just something to get used to.

My hip is a bit more achey too.  I don't think it's anything to be way concerned about.  I warmed up and stretched (both pre and post run) iced said hip and knee for good measure and have been taking my flex-a-min...  hopefully it'll be fine.  I read an article that said that some aching is OK and that as you get stronger, these aches go away.

Of course the upside is, fresh air, the feel of a little wind and warming sunshine.  It's not as boring as the treadmill and everyday presents a new way to look at your town.  I think the Nike + will be handy for this once I recoup my "fun money" and invest in it... oh and thanks to Karen, found this great website: mapmyrun.com  you can map out any route and it'll give you the miles - this was really cool and a big help!

Like anything, everything takes some time to get used to and I'm looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

XO
Jen

2 comments:

Angie said...

Awesome post! Although the training was a great guide and motivator to get you started, I feel that our bodies will ultimately tell us where we should be.

Doh! I can't believe I didn't mention mapmyrun.com when you were asking about distance. I use this same tool to map out my daughters runs. Since she is young we try to vary the time she goes and the route she takes throughout the summer. I guess summer isn't in my realm of thought yet. :-)

Unknown said...

thanks, Angie!