Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Day 24 - 59 days to go... ow.


Decided to go for 3.1 miles today to see what if felt like to do a 5K.  I ran for ten minutes and that was good... then I walked for one and ran for five but my knee started to bother a little and my hip started to ache and the rest of the training was more or less running for two, walking for one - with a little more walking towards the end.  It took me almost 50 mins to do 3.1!  UGH.  That's probably not a great time....

I guess I will just turtle along and remember that the most important thing is just to finish right now.

My hubby did remind me that I'm only on day 24 of training and that I'm doing great for an amateur but you know, I put high expectations on myself.

Also, this was interesting.  I dreamt about running.  And it wasn't even a nightmare! ;)  I think I was running some kind of race and remember feeling out of breath but accomplished.  I finished whatever it was that I started in the dream.

Tomorrow is a rest day, I might do a little walking and weights but will try to take it easy on my achey breaky knee and hip.

Is it normal to have a little discomfort or do I need to be concerned?  I think it doesn't seem like any huge deal but what do I know?  Any remedies or advice?  I always warm up but maybe I should be better with some stretches or something.  If we've learned anything from my foray into attempting yoga it's that I have the flexibility of a tree stump.

xo
Jen

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stretching will help. Do a little warm up first then some easy stretches but most importantly stretch when you are finished so your muscles can release some lactic acid and not tighten up. You should also get some glucosamine and chondroitin from the drugstore or health food store. I started taking it and it has helped. But most importantly you should go to a running store and have your stride checked. It's time to get some real running shoes. If you are under or over pronating and running in Payless shoes you could hurt yourself. Proper shoes stopped Sara's plantar fasciitis and Dave's knee and hip and my hip problems. I know they are expensive but it's a small price to pay in exchange for your joints!

Now for a reality check. Less than a month ago you would never have dreamed of running 3 miles!!!!! In LESS THAN A MONTH you did it in under an hour! 3.1 miles is more that 1/4 of the half marathon! You've got 2 months of training left. You are doing AWESOME!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much, Ang! I promise to go find some running shoes today :) and I'll get the glucosamine stuff. I am on a journey! Thanks for the reminder.

The Skårtist said...

I agree with Angela's advice, proper shoes make ALL the difference. And go to a real running shop, don't make the mistake of "they FEEL comfy in the store" -- 2 minutes in the store is way different than three hours on pavement. For sure stretching after every run. They say you need to hold the stretch for 30 seconds ... (I never have the patience to, but they say that's what it takes to really complete the stretch)

A little discomfort is expected --- aches and such. If it becomes actually painful, then you need to reevaluate.

Angie said...

All very good advice. I'd just add that ice can be your friend. And if you need to ice an awkward location like your backside, cling wrap works wonders for holding it in place hands free.

Unknown said...

thanks sara and angie! another friend recommended ice too... we'll see how it goes. tomorrow I run again!