Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 26 - 57 days to go! Woo hoo - Happy Dance! :)



15 minutes!  


Some people want 15 minutes of fame, others, 15 minutes in heaven... well, I ran for 15 minutes straight today!  Yayyyyy!  WOW!  do you know 26 days ago what a struggle to run for a minute was!  yay!  :)  I was so proud of myself I almost cried on the treadmill...!  For the record, today's assignment was to run for 3 miles. So this is how I did:

1 mile at 14:07 (yes!  and ran to 15 for good measure!  I ran for more than a mile!  YES!)
2 miles at 29:40 (not too shabby, walked for 2 mins to catch my breath and sip some water and then ran for 10 mins and then walked for another minute or so and ran into the 2 mile mark)
3 miles was reached at 44:33!!  YAY!!!  I think that's a pretty respectable time for a late 30's, newbie, 30 pound overweight woman who is running less than a month!  woo hoo.

It can only get better from here!

With the promise of spring coming, I'm going to be taking some of the running outside.  Anyone have any suggestions for a gadget that could help me with pace and distance?  I have no idea how to guestimate pace  or distance.  Brendan from the Road Runner store said that people seem to like something called the Nike +.  Ever hear of it?  It's a nifty little gadget that has your name all over it (ANGELA).  you can either hook it up to your ipod or you can buy a wrist band thingy... it's an UB port  thing that supposedly records your pace, distance, and other stats and then you can plug it into the computer and it keeps track of your runs and progress.  There's also a whole Nike + community that you can connect to and it has different training programs (from 5 K - to full marathon) to help you get trained.  There's even a virtual avatar of you that does something... (don't remember what.)

Anyone have experience?  It's $59- but I spied it at Sports Authority today.  I would definitely find a coupon to use and get it cheaper.

If you're interested in checking out the Nike + -- kick around this web-site.  There's an interesting informational video there:  http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/

Have a great weekend - I'm off to happy dance!

xo
Jen




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course I have a Nike+! I LOVE IT!!! You can program it to have a power song so if you're feeling sluggish you just push the center button on your iPod and the song come on. Calibrating it can be a pain but once that's done it's amazing. I have a couple of specialized playlists for the Nike+ too that I can send you. One is a 25 minute drill to help your speed by Serena Williams. Do you have an iPod nano? I'm not sure if the Nike+ works with all iPods. It was originally designed for the Nano but I think they've made it work with regular iPods now. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with shuffles.

Sara and I were also talking about head phones. We're going to go to Ross to find you some iJoy headphones. They have volume on the wire and are great when you're running with someone. It's easy to turn the volume down to talk to someone then turn it back up.

You rock!!!!! I checked your facebook page 4 times this afternoon to see if your blog was up yet! :-D

Unknown said...

LMAO! I knew it! I KNEW you would be all about that Nike thing. I only have that tiny shuffle I-pod so I'd have to get the wrist band thing. It still looks cool though.


Awww! thanks for liking the blog so much...

Unknown said...

PS: the head phones sound way cool!

Unknown said...

We'll get you a pair of headphones! Oh yeah, and just for the record, that pace is a 3 hour and 25 minute half marathon. AND you've got 2/3 of your training time ahead of you! You'll definitely be getting that medal!

Unknown said...

thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to keep up this pace for a 3 1/2 hour stretch... It wasn't easy ;)