Friday, March 19, 2010

Day 40 - 43 days to go: FIVE miles

Holy crap.  five miles.  FIVE MILES.  Wow, that was hard!  But, I am proud of myself.

It was the first day that I really had to push myself to keep going.  I started out strong.  Ran for thirty minutes and feeling good.  Walked for a minute or two and then ran for another twenty or so.  Then started to run five or ten minutes and walk a minute or two.  I think the real "hard" part came around 3.5 mark.  I started to run out of energy.  I'm not sure where I went wrong (although there were a few power songs in there that definitely had me running quicker earlier on... maybe I should try to run slower to conserve energy?  not sure.)  The last .5 mile of the run had to be the hardest ever and I walked more than I would've liked during the last 1.5 miles.  Oh well.  I think I had a good breakfast for fuel.  One hearty-fiber filled, slice of whole grain toast, one egg, one glass of skim milk.... I also sipped my water thru out.

hmmmm...

Or maybe there's no reason except running for an hour and 16 minutes to complete 5 miles is freakin' hard.  LOL.  The upside is, it won't be as hard as SIX miles will be next week!  yikes.

Anyway, found a few good songs to add to my running mix.  Thought I would share some of the highlights  -  (keep the suggestions coming!! Can never have too much music!)



I found this Eminem song called, "Til I collapse"  First of all, it has a very similar vibe as "Lose Yourself" and the beginning has a military marching beat and these are the opening lyrics:


'Cause sometimes you feel tired,
feel weak, and when you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up.
But you gotta search within you, you gotta find that inner strength
and just pull that shit out of you and get that motivation to not give up
and not be a quitter, no matter how bad you wanna just fall flat on your face and collapse.

Perfect combination of motivating words and good beat.  I had no idea I would like Eminem so much.

I also was recommended a Kanye West song, "Stronger."  That's pretty good too.

Since I like Let's Get It Started and Gotta feeling from the Black Eyed Peas so much, I figure I also give Pump It and Hands Up a try - thumbs up.  

I went old school Pat Benatar and downloaded, "Promises In The Dark"  - the beginning is a little slow but the chorus is good and fast - and I loved that song as a kid so it was fun to hear again.

I also decided to download the old Smashing Pumpkins song, "Rat in A Cage."  Which is not really motivating lyrically but there's something about the pace and the angriness of the song that made me want to increase my speed and just run hard.  So it worked.

I'm half way to the race!!  Seems like it's coming quick -- When I started this journey it was over 80 days away!!

Have a great weekend.  Tomorrow I weigh in... I'm a glutton for punishment so will be weighing in and reporting back :)  I'm feeling good about it though, no matter what happens.

XO
Jen

2 comments:

Azrhiaz said...

Nice job Jen! I did 5.6 in 1.28 so I know how ya feel! I could barely get my fat, heavy butt up the hills. Damn gravity! lol Gonna try it again on Sunday. I'm sure chasing after Penny's giraffe legs should improve my time!

I d/l'ed a couple Katie Perry songs and "Sexyback" Did you ever get "Dollhouse"?

Unknown said...

Thanks Karen, Running uphill - you're my hero!! Good luck on your Sunday run.

No, I forgot to get Dollhouse -- thanks for the reminder, I'll go download it now!

PS: Running with Penny just doesn't even seem fair.