Sunday, April 1, 2012

Weekend recap and other crap

Porky's next to my WW center never gets old to me - yes,
my actual center
After my crappy run on Friday, I decided to take Saturday off. I camethisclose to taking today off too but I was starting to feel a little depression creep in. Not sure why. I was just having a serious case of the blahs and at 4:30PM I looked down to realize that I was still in my pajamas. Not good.

The rain has me feeling a little ho-hum too.

So I pushed myself to the gym. (I didn't have the hoorah in me to run in the damp, icky rain…) 

Because I was still not feeling particularly motivated I decided not to do my Nike+ thing. My Nike+ app asks for how many miles you are planning to run before starting and it then automatically tells everyone on face book that "Jennifer has just started a 2 mile run" or whatever...  

I didn't want to put the pressure on myself to run a certain distance or pace so I just went. I gave myself permission to do just one mile and to just walk if I really wanted to. I knew that doing just one slow, walking mile would still make me feel slightly less crappy than doing nothing at all.

I got there and started with a walk - before I knew it, I was running and running pretty well. I finished 2 miles in 21:00 or so - better than I would've thought.

And while I still feel slightly blah, I do feel at least 50% better than I did before and that does count for something!! AND it was a waaaay better little run than my Friday debacle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the cleaner eating - I'm doing pretty good. I would give myself a B to a B+ this week.

The good: I juiced 6 out of 7 days. I had the Chia Seeds 4 out of 7 days. I cut out most gluten, ate tons and tons of fresh fruits and vegetables and swapped most of our meats, eggs, dairy to organic versions.

The bad: I'm still far from being 100% onboard. Yesterday I visited a friend and dove head first into a bowl of tostitos, crackers and goat cheese. I also polished off a half a bottle of wine and a giant piece of cake.  Ooops. Ah well. That's gonna happen. Won't be the first time and probably not the last.

The great: Not one yellow packet of sweetener in more than a week. NO artificial sweeteners of any kind. That I'm going to really try not to bend on.

The kinda annoying: I gained a pound and a half at WW this week. Damn those fattening Chia Seeds and juice! (Just kidding… Eh, it's fine - I'm still well with-in my goal range - just, still, it's a little annoying.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And speaking of gluten free eating, on Friday my allergy tests came back. I do not have celiac or any food allergies so now the doc wants to send me to a GI - Yippe.   

Still, I do think I could be gluten intolerant because I really have felt better since cutting most of it out. Today I don't feel so awesome but it follows a day that had gluten in it - coincidence? I don't know yet.  Could've been the wine too? 

For dinner I'm going to try this organic brown rice pasta from Trader Joes and will be making a homemade meat sauce to top it.
I tried to make this picture of my pasta a little jazzy ;)

Hope you had a fab weekend!

What have you successfully given up lately?

Know anyone who is gluten free?

Have you ever tried brown rice pasta?

Do you ever go to the gym with the intention of working out for only 10 minutes? (ha) that's probably just me.

XO
Jen


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Agh I totally feel you. I had all those test and gi appointments. Finally they told me just stop w/ gluten and bam all better! Hope the GI can figure it out, I feel your pain!

Michelle said...

I think I love you .. no seriously :) I am too trying so hard to eat clean. I am totally off those dumb yellow/blue/pink packets and struggling a little. I am having some stevia (not with fillers, the raw crazy expensive one) and its ok but hoping I can find a good substitute that I am not racking up the calories or points. Baby steps I guess! I am still literally cracking up on that picture. SO FUNNY! I am not intolerant to anything but prefer the brown rice and quinoa products like pasta and pretty much stay away from bread all together but love me some tortillas and flat breads. Have a great rest of your night!

Jamie said...

Hell's bells, no I haven't tried any of those things, lol! I'm not the trashiest eater on the planet, but I'm certainly not the healthiest. I do try to stay away from any and all sodas and artificial sweeteners, does that count? I drink an ASSload of water every day and at least one meal is all veggie (usually salad lunch.)
AND I refuse (here comes the alkie talking) to give up my THREE glasses of vino every night. My liver might have a heart attack if I did. Plus it all but guarantees a morning poop, which comes in mighty handy before a long run, haha!
I'm at my ideal weight, 142lbs for a 5'8" height, but I'm kinda saggy in the belly area. I know I could eat better and get my waistline under control, but I'm just not ready to try that hard. ugh... So, I'll just strap on my bikini and pretend I look like I did when I was twenty yrs old haha!

TriGirl said...

I have cut way down on my wheat/gluten intake and then slowly added a little bit back once a day if the strong desire hits. It's made a huge difference in how I feel (all the tests came back negative, so I did this on my own). Good job on that run!

Dena said...

I went gluten free at the beginning of the year. I don't think any tests would come back saying I was allergic, but definitely intolerant. I feel way better when I don't have it. This last 3 weeks I have been cheating horribly on it, and my stomach has not been my friend :(

I did discover brown rice pasta and I actually like it! I like it best a little salted, but that's a baby step. I will usually mix it with taco meat and a salad at lunch. Or I have made a homemade spaghetti sauce (we never used canned) and made a goolash type dinner with it. I prefer the brown rice spaghetti noodles over the corn spaghetti noodles, I never got those to cook right. One of my grocery stores has them in bulk for a very reasonable price, so I feel good buying them rather than almost 4.00 a bag for the same stuff in the gluten free section.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I have no problem getting my ass up and moving, it's the Little Debbie's voice in my head I can't seem to quiet!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments.

Courtney, I am surprised at how many people I've spoken to who don't formally have a gluten issue but also feel much better without it.

Michelle - WTG with giving up those packets! I like the Quinoa products when I can find them too.

Jaime - I'm with you girl. I don't think I'll ever give up my wine ;)

Thanks TriGirl - that's a good idea.

Dena, good ideas - I'm going to Costco soon and will poke around there and see if there's any deals to be had. I liked the brown rice pasta!

Linda - it's never easy, is it? ;)

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Yeah I've tried to go GF but it never worked out. I * might * try again.

Chia seeds and WW to me is a lot of points. Points I would rather have for a Fiber One Brownie. See how awesome I am?

And until last Thursday I have given up pop from DEC 31st. I had a dr pepper on Thursday and it tasted like nectar from the God's but even as I drank it I was like holy hell is that syrupy.

Jamie @ *that* mom said...

My family went gluten free almost a week ago to see if it would help with a variety of each of our health issues. We're committed to giving it a full 6 weeks to see how it goes. so far, it's not so bad, though I do desperately need to go grocery shopping.

We already eat pretty darn clean although I am newly loving my Chia seeds! Of course, I am not losing any of the 25lbs I still need to lose at the moment, but instead focusing on making sure we're getting what we need in our diet, and then I'll go back to focusing on not getting too much of anything.

I love hearing about your journey to cleaner eating! Way to go!

Maria Simone said...

I made a gluten free lasagna with the brown rice noodles and I thought it was good. I've alsomtriedmartichoke flour noodles. Very good also!