Friday, March 30, 2012

Chia seeds: Good for more than growing plants on creepy pottery

Well who woulda thunk when those wacky chia pet commercials came out long, long ago that someday we'd be eating those seeds?

Certainly not I.

I mean, do you remember Chia Pets? 

They were downright creepy, there is nothing remotely cute about this:

Someone took the time to cultivate this hideous thing
source
During the documentary, Hungry For Change, which I talked about in this blog post, they touted the benefits of chia seeds… so off I went to get me some.

They are tasteless and you only need a tablespoon or so to get the benefits. In my research, I've learned that chia seeds are pretty freakin' good for you. How good for you?  How about these stats according to  Chia Seed Super Food.com:

  • They have 100% more omega fatty acid than salmon
  • Double the antioxidants of blueberries
  • 41% of your daily fiber needs
  • 6 times more calcium than milk
  • 32% of your daily magnesium (more than broccoli)
  • 6 times more iron than spinach
  • 64% more potassium than a banana
Chia seeds also increases energy, improves digestion, improves your skin and helps you to sleep better -  these little seeds will even clean your house, walk the dog and take out the garbage! (Well I made that last part up but these things really are the best thing since sliced organic/gluten-free/sprouted bread!) ha.

You can stir them into smoothies or juices, sprinkle them on top of salads, oatmeal, cereal or whatever you want. They don't have to be ground like flaxseeds either.

If you put them in water for 10-15 minutes they become almost like tapioca so it's a good thickening agent and people like to make puddings and stuff with them. I'm just starting to experiment with them but who the hell knew they were so great? 

They store easily too. Up to 2 years in a 'cool, dark, place.' I got a bag that will last forever at GNC for $11 or so.

Help stop chia seed abuse: Eat them, don't let Bart
Simpson ever become a victim again

You can read more about them at the link above.

Have you been using chia seeds?

Did you know they were so great?

Did you ever have a chia pet?

XO
Jen

16 comments:

Amanda@justagirl said...

I am a newer read and I really enjoy your blog. Oddly enough I always wanted a Chia Pet growing up. I have only been using Chia seeds for only about a week. I was trying to find ways to add fiber and protein to my salads. I have been putting them on everything, even my eggs this morning.

Unknown said...

I just started using them too! Picked them up this week as well! Welcome to my blog, glad you're here. :)

westmetromommy said...

Thanks for sharing this...I may pick some up and try them!

Overhauling-Me said...

Wow, I never heard of eating them! I think I'll give them a try. The list of what they contribute is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I know! Who knew? I am pretty sure you can get them in Whole Foods or order them off line as well.

I had heard of them in passing but I had no idea of all the health benefits. They are easy enough to add to stuff so why not?

KellytheCulinarian said...

I've never had chia seeds, but I keep hearing about all the benefits, so I think I'll pick up a bag.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I've been eating them. I think Katie mentioned them once. I put them in my yogurt or "oats in a jar." If I can ingest something and it doesn't effect the taste, then I have no problem incorporating it. Did you see Hoda and Kathie Lee talking about them this morning on their show?

Unknown said...

Linda - I saw that! The funny thing is I wrote this post and scheduled it last night and then there they were talking about chia seeds this morning!! LOL small world…

Cheryl said...

I've been eating them for about a month now. According to a nutritionist who did a wellness lunch at my office, most of the antioxidants are released when the seeds have gelled, so it's best to add them to wet foods, like yogurt. Just throw 'em in, stir it up, and let it sit for a few minutes. Easy!

Summer said...

Hi Jen! I love chia seeds! One of my favorite recipes is chia "tapioca" pudding. Just soak 1/4 cup of chia seeds in 1 cup almond milk (I like almond, you can use rice, soy, hemp, and even cow's milk but I like to keep it non-dairy) for at least 10 minutes. I also add some cinnamon and vanilla extract for flavor and like to stir once or twice, but the stirring isn't necessary. I made this one evening for dessert, and my husband (who usually avoids any food that is "healthy", "vegeterian", "vegetable") became very interested in it when I told him I was making tapioca pudding. He ate the whole bowl as I giggled, and when he finally asked why I was laughing, I told him it was vegan chia pudding - not tapioca! He got mad about that (playfully). We still joke about it, but he ate my bowl for dessert again last night, so he obviously likes it :)

Book Dragon said...

Started then stopped. No reason really, just a downward turn in my mood.

I'll be starting again. I like to take them before bed to help with nighttime heartburn.

2 tbsp of seeds in a cup of water will expand to 1.5 cups of what I think of as slimy goodness. ;)

I eat them straight....measure a teaspoon + out then put some on my tongue and drink some water, repeat until they are gone. Then at least a cup of liquid afterward for the expansion.

Saw them on Dr. Oz, said having some before eating (hour?) helped fill the tummy so you'd eat less.

Gigi said...

I have been eating them for about a year now. There is a web site called nuts on line and they sell them there very cheap and I was curious and I have never looked back! I put them in my oatmeal every morning and sometimes in my yogurt. I want to try them other ways but I am just so lazy lol

Gigi said...

I have been eating them for about a year now. There is a web site called nuts on line and they sell them there very cheap and I was curious and I have never looked back! I put them in my oatmeal every morning and sometimes in my yogurt. I want to try them other ways but I am just so lazy lol

Jason said...

Do you read my blog or just pretend to read it? HA HA HA!

After I make my almond butter I toss in 2 Tbsp of chia seeds and mix by hand so that my AB&Js have chia in them. My overnite oats get Chia Seeds as well.

I toss them in my veggie chili and even in my veggie tacos......can't beat these little buggers.

Unknown said...

Good ideas Jason! :) Sometimes it takes a while for sh!t to sink in for me! hahaha

teresa bowen said...

Thank you for sharing this information with us! We all know that Chia seed is useful in terms of health supplements and there are lots of health products but we need to choose the safe and effective.

baby foot