Thursday, April 19, 2012

Food for thought: Carbo-loading pre race

Atkins is rolling over in his grave
BREAKING NEWS! You should eat carbs before a marathon.

OK, so I know people generally know this but if you've ever had questions about how much, how often, what types and whether you should incorporate other foods (like protein and fats) this is some good information…

I came across this article at RW.com which was written by one of my favs btw… Dimity McDowell and thought it was fascinating. It was absolutely packed with awesome information when it comes to carbo-loading pre-marathon.

I have no full marathon on my calendar at this time (though, I'm in the lottery for the NYC ING marathon) but I am always very confused about what carbo-loading really is. For my first marathon last year, I kinda just ate a little pasta (uh - with cheese and meat) the night before, picked at some bread and had a half bagel with cream cheese for breakfast. No special loading otherwise, no big changes, probably too much protein.

Being that I had tummy troubles (what else is new?) during that race, I walked much of it. The downside was I was disappointed that my time was longer than a NYC to LA flight… The upside, I never hit the wall.

But I've hit the wall in my life - I remember it clearly in a long run or two when training and it sucked.

So properly carbo-loading is super important in helping you not hit that wall.

Which is very interesting because while I know that carb-loading is important I also thought that training and "getting used to the high miles" was the most important factor in wall-prevention. While that is a given, it seems that the carb thing is really, really crucial here. Ok. duh. They do all talk about "glycogen levels" falling and what not… but we can't all be this guy...

Benjamin Rappoport hit the wall at the NYC marathon in 2005 - he was also a smarty pants -- a Harvard MD student so instead of just bitchin' and cryin' about hitting the wall, he decided to research it and study it.
"Proper carbo-loading—or filling your muscles to the brim with glycogen—won't make you faster, but it will allow you to run your best and, if you race smartly, avoid the wall," he says.
The article goes on to say that you should begin your carbo-loading a few days before. You can't properly fill your glycogen levels with one or two meals. It should start 2-3 days before and 85 - 95% of your calories should be carbs! (I really didn't realize that.)

Good carb choices would include pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, bagels, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, yogurt and juice. Check out the article for some meal ideas.

Also listed in the article was this handy little calculator. Our smart friend "Benny Rap" - came up with an endurance calculator which will take in account your target race time, age, weight, resting heart rate, etc to come up with a good idea of how much carbohydrate you should aim to have in your system. Maybe I'm becoming a running nerd but I found this compelling stuff.

Anyway - I plugged in my numbers with a marathon aim time of 5:20 and it was pretty cool. It gave me carb guidelines for a "conservative best marathon time," an "aggressive best time" and my "target time."

Now don't freak out, the article says that if you've properly carb-loaded you'll be up 3-4 pounds come race day! (Yeah, that would freak me out - so I'm glad they warned me.)

It's funny because as someone who's always tried to avoid simple carbs (to lose weight) I think properly carb-loading was something I couldn't really grasp. If I ever run another full marathon, however, believe you me I'll be heeding this advice… 3 or 4 pound gain and all!

Do you meticulously carb-load? As in know that you need 2210 kcal's of carbs or do you just wing a bagel the morning of?
What's your favorite way to carb-load?
Have you ever hit the wall?

XO
Jen

11 comments:

Jen said...

I'm no where near carb loading as I'm just getting into running. But my trainer laughs at me. He says the whole "carb loading" the night before is a joke and just an excuse to eat. He did say it has to be done 3-4 days before to have any effect. But he didn't say that many cals from carbs. WOW. I'd gain 10 lbs I'm sure. It would not be as low as 3-4 lbs. I wouldn't be so lucky.

Unknown said...

Well I always kinda laughed it off like your trainer too - especially because, well, yeah - I'm always looking for an excuse to eat! ;)

It's probably not necessary to carb load for smaller races but for running marathons - yeah. it is. And it seems that you should start 2-3 days out and up until 12 hours before. (at least according to the article and the smart dude from Harvard.)

misszippy said...

Yep! I'm a believer in carbs pre-race. Also salt to help keep your fluids in. Atkins can roll in his grave all he wants!

Kristin said...

This is also an excellent article on tapering and loading. http://www.runtheplanet.com/trainingracing/marathon/taperload.asp

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

good lord carbs non stop for 3 days before a marathon? will do but I probably won't weigh in at WW for a few weeks after that!! I can eat warm artisan bread forever!! yum belly rub!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Seeing as I don't need an excuse to eat ANY carbs, I'm all in! This should be followed for a half-marathon, too, no? I know I shouldn't eat as much, but it couldn't hurt, right? The weight gain wouldn't freak me out since I know it's for a perfectly valid reason.

For all of my other races, I try not to eat hardly at all before hand because I don't want stitches or trots!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kristin - I'll check it out!

LOL Babyweight - definitely no WW weigh-in nothing more annoying then training for a marathon and gaining 4 pounds! ;)

Linda, I definitely think you could/should carb load for a half (especially for your first few) tho you probably don't need as much. I remember hitting the wall in BIG way during my second half at around mile 10. Those days it did take me 3hrs to do a half - so that's a long time… I haven't the slightest idea what the recommendations would be tho.

Amanda said...

I have wondered about carb loading, thanks so much for the info.

Rachelle Wardle said...

Great post! I ran my 4th marathon (Boston) this week and it is the first time I have ever really carb-loaded. Guess what? It is also the first time I have ran a marathon without hitting the wall. It does work and I am excited to try out the calculator now.

Thanks for sharing girl!

Unknown said...

Amanda and Rachelle - you're welcome!

And Rachelle: ooooooh you ran Boston! Congrats, that's so awesome! I'm glad you made it thru the heat too!

Anonymous said...

I read this article too and although I'm a half marathon junkie at the moment I still took the advice and am carb loading all of my meals 2-3 days in advance in hopes that it truly helps me get a better time this coming Sunday at SLO. While I love a good Half Marathon, I hate that I'm naturally slow or.. am I just not properly prepared as this article suggests? I can't wait to find out the results of my race. Thanks for sharing!