Monday, April 2, 2012

Running stuff worth splurging on

My very first "splurge"
Last week I caught an article on-line at Yahoo Finance about what's worth splurging on and what's not. I think it was an article about big ticket stuff - like, splurging $18,000 on kitchen renovations is worth the investment because you should get that back… or something. I didn't read the article that closely.  Here it is in case you're interested.

It did get me thinking about what's worth the splurge in this whole running/weight loss/ health world.

At heart I am a cheap bitch frugal. I am proud of my thrifty ways.  I am a coupon clipping, deal sniffing, penny-pitching type of gal. I wasn't always like that but with a tough economy and smaller paychecks, a girl does what a girl has to do.

Well. I've had to let go of some of my cheapness along the way. I soon found out that there's places to scrimp and places you have to "splurge" when it comes to running and stuff.

Here's what I've learned:

  1. Sneakers. Ok if you're a runner you know this already. Me? I TRIED to be cheap when I first started running. Oh yes I did run right to Payless with my 15% off coupon and try to get away with crappy sneakers. You can even read all about those sneakers in one of my first posts. Hmmm, wonder why my knees, ankles and hips hurt so much? They lasted a week or two before I sucked it up and 'splurged' on sneakers from a real running store based on the recommendation of a real pro.
  2. Gym membership or at-home treadmill. Possibly. If you are the type who will run outside no matter what the temperature then perhaps this is unnecessary. For me, my gym membership is absolutely crucial for my success. I spend probably as many days a year racking up treadmill miles as I do outside miles and without access to the dreaded tread I would not get in nearly an many runs. (If I ever get a little more $$ I'll really splurge and switch from my very cheap-o/no-frills gym to one that has classes.)
  3. Food/Fuel. Up until recently (uh, like a week and a half ago) I was really cheap with my food. I really robbed myself of having more healthier and organic stuff in the house because of expense.  I can't tell you how many avocados I put back or how many time I got the cheaper non-organic apples or the processed whatever, simply because it was on-sale.  I'm really working at changing that. It still hurts to see my grocery bill rise but I finally made a decision that I and my family are worth the extra expense. I still have to be smart with our money but health is the epicenter of everything, so making the investment in good/healthy foods now will hopefully eliminate disease and healthcare bills later? One would hope.  (Oh don't scrimp on fuel for long runs either… GU's, sports drinks, whatever is going to keep you hydrated and balanced on those runs are important!)
Other things splurge-worthy (IMHO): Compression wear, hydration systems/bottles, reflective gear for night/dawn runners, the right socks, sports bras, Garmin, Weight Watcher meetings (I splurged on this expense even when times were really tight in my house. I needed the support) and (some) race fees (if races help keep you motivated. They do me.)

What makes your splurge worthy list?

What do you wish you could just totally splurge on? I wish I had a way bigger grocery budget :) 

What do you think is a waste of money in the running/health world?

XO
Jen

11 comments:

Emz said...

Love this!!
Me: treadmill & shoes. Worth it!!!
Not worth it....gym membership. ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks, lady… I have to say that if I had a tread at home, the gym membership probably not be necessary - tho, I would like a little spin class or boot camp on occasion. ;)

Fluffy Girl Turned RUNner said...

Love this post! I've splurged on all of those things! Love my Mizunos! :) Just bought a Garmin and my FOOD is on point :) I shop at Farmers Markets and buy seasonal veggies! :)

Unknown said...

Nice shopping m02byz! :)

Mary said...

My Garmin was my favorite splurge - I lusted after it for ages, finally was able to get one when I got a good job, and it has totally changed my workouts. I love using it for running *and* biking!

TriGirl said...

I agree with all of the above! I've learned that the hard way too. When I first started cooking and baking I discovered that fresh ingredients and good tools/cookware are a MUST.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I prefer the treadmill over running outside. The combination of my music, the tv and the people all around me keep me going and usually motivate me to push faster or farther. I enjoy the gym for the friends I've made (actually meet up with a hs gf a few times/week, 20 some-odd years later!) and for the other equipment, like the ellipticals and my favorite, the ARC Trainer!

Nicki said...

Without a doubt, shoes are at the top of my splurge list. Right behind them is a good/great sports bra. After six kids, my girls need the support.

Gigi said...

What a great post!

When I decided I NEEDED to lose weight I started with the $40.00 per month on weight watchers.

Then a month later I discovered 5k's. I bought 2 pairs of good running shoes 1 pair road and 1 pair trail (I have since gotten a pair of all weather too)I don't really like to run but I love 5k's the whole commroderie of them, the bib number the finish time, t-shirts medals....everything. So I have run in 42 races since 5/22/11. This includes a trip this past weekend to DC for the Cherry Blossom 5k!

I have had an expensive treadmill for years and it is now getting used and I am glad I have it so I can still run when it is cold here in NY. I also got a garmin 305 (on ebay) when I started training for faster times.

I have a gym membership and have never once gone (i need to cancel it) but I do pay about $200.00 a month for yoga classes which I LOVE more than most things and it helps my 5k time and is just so good for me.

Unknown said...

my splurges are shoes and clothes! love them!all of yours are great.

Nurse Anne said...

Protein and powerbars and Shoes definately worth it. I got lucky because we have free 24/7 gym at my apartment complex. They don't have much but a few weights, 1 treadmill and 1 elliptical. Saves me money as long as I have the elliptical and treadmill...I'm good. I still prefer running outside thou. Its really different running outdoors than it is using a treadmill. I go outdoors atleast once or twice a week. Concrete kinda put a little strain on my knees. Until I get used to it ill have to keep using the treadmill throughout my training.