Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tummy troubles

Pantoprazole - not taking it. Nope.
Ugh.

So I continue the journey in trying to figure out why I have a tummy ache every freakin' day of my life. 

Tests recently came back that showed no allergies to anything. Cutting out dairy and gluten seemed to make me feel a little bit better in other ways but, still, the tummy troubles come back.

Today I got to go see a gastro doc. He asked a few basic questions and quickly decided that it is probably IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). Could be. I guess. I'm no stranger to Web MD so based on my symptoms I could have that or about every other stomach ailment on the planet.

He prescribed me TWO medications to take for the next 6 weeks. 

One is called Pantoprazole.  The other is Dicyclomine. He didn't hand me a prescription he sends it in "electronically" so of-course, I don't write down the names and didn't know what I was getting until I got it home.

Ugh again.  I'm pissed.

First of all, I'm not a big fan of just taking medication. I mean there's usually 800 side effects and frankly, I'd rather live with the stomach ache. Plus, I hate not knowing exactly what I've got. We're guessing at a diagnosis and it makes me feel like I'm taking the meds for the fun of it. I'd rather adjust my diet or something but I'd have to find a doc that believes in that approach I suppose. I probably should've spoken up while there but didn't even think about it until I was in the car. I was expecting him to run some tests or something before just giving me drugs.

Secondly, after looking up the medication, the first one doesn't even seem to address my issues. This is typically given to people with Gerd (reflux disease). That is one thing I know I don't have. He asked me if I ever take an antacid at the end of the appointment, and I told him I very occasionally take a tums (and that's when I've eaten total crap and have a little heartburn. That's not a mystery to me…) I've pretty much decided to not take the Pantoprazole. 

The second med (the Dicyclomine) has it's own list of shitty side-effects but at least that one is supposed to address IBS specifically.  But it's got side effects like the ones I'm trying to avoid like 'stomach pain,' vomiting, and upset stomach. WTF - great it cured my stomach ache with another stomach ache! Awesome. It also makes people drowsy (just what I need) and how about this little ditty:
you should know that dicyclomine reduces the body's ability to cool off by sweating. In very high temperatures, dicyclomine can cause fever and heat stroke.
Well isn't that just awesome for running in the summer. Sounds great.

Anyway… I don't know yet what I'm going to do - it makes me want to throw out both meds, never go back to the doctor again and just live with the stomach aches. 

I am so annoyed and frustrated right now about it - and I did personally like the doctor.  He's also supposed to be one of the best. I just feel like this is the result I'm going to get everywhere. 

Sigh. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In more fun/interesting news…

In case you don't remember, I was invited to run the Ragnar Race in January 2013 - From Miami to Key West. The Ragnar is a 200 mile 12 man relay race (or 6 man ultra).  I am so excited and honored to be on the team - each member of our team has lost an average of 100 pounds or more! How's that for cool? 

We are trying to come up with a cool name for our team. One that speaks to our weight loss journey but is also kind of fun.  Katie, who writes the blog, "Runs For Cookies" has a great giveaway going on! She's giving away a GARMIN! Woo Hoo - and you get a bonus entry for the giveaway if you throw your suggestions for a team name in. So CLICK HERE to read about the giveaway and pony up a name.

Hope you are having a great day.

Do you ever decide against taking medication that your doc has prescribed?
Do you know anyone who has IBS? Do they take meds or do they just live with it?
Should I give one or more of these meds a shot - am I being a baby? 
What do you think we should call our Ragnar team?

XO
Jen

11 comments:

Jason said...

I wouldn't take the meds and would just keep tinkering with my diet. Remove one item and see what happens, then re-introduce it and remove another. Keep that going until you figure it out. I bet you that takes less than 6 weeks and the only side-effect is the one you've got.....a stomach ache.

I'm sorry but I don't trust Drs at all. They don't look at shit and just write scripts. I can't stand them and I think they are all just in the pocket of the pharma companies anyway. My 2 cents.

Unknown said...

I know, Jason - I kind of feel the same way. I got so angry as I sat here with these meds - thinking this is some dumb shit to just take medication without knowing the issues. And this is why I hate going to the doctor.

Amanda said...

I have had IBS for years. I do not take any medicine for it, I have to be very careful with what I eat. Too much of anything (even veggies) causes issues. I also cannot eat yogurt, drink soda or eat popcorn. I know it is different for everyone if you don't already, you should keep a journal of everything you eat and how you feel after. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better.

Caroline said...

I have GERD and I also dont have a Gallbladder.
I take that medecine. it is for people who have GERD not IBS
for IBS..I do know people who have and some take medicine for it to deal with the cramping it is like a muscle relaxant.

I have had Rx and decided not to take it because I did not believe it would help me.

I dont always trust the Drs I have.

Unknown said...

Thanks Amanda -

I think I'm going to take your advice of journaling and Jason's advice of eliminating and re-introducing. I've loosely tried that before but never made that much of a commitment to it. I just don't feel comfortable jumping on medication.

Thanks Caroline. From a couple of Google searches I suspected that was for GERD and entirely not for what I experience.

So frustrating. I'm going to start looking for a holistic doc - I'd much rather heal thru nutrition if possible. I'm not entirely anti-medication but would rather not take it if I don't have to. Especially something that threatens robbing me of the ability to sweat!

Rebecca said...

Talk to your pharmacist, especially if you're considering starting and stopping the meds. Plus they'll be able to explain better what they're for. Don't try to mess with the dose or anything yourself. they'll be able to make better suggestions than a doctor when it comes to drugs. :)

Dena said...

Have you had an ultrasound done to make sure you don't have any cysts of any sort? I'm currently going through this with my mom right now. She has had knock her out stomach pain where we thought it was just really bad gas. Turns out its cysts. And I totally agree with a holiostic doctor. Don't be taking medicine if you don't believe it's the right thing for you to do. You can always always get another opinion!

Maria Simone said...

I'm going echo what others have said and say skip the meds until you know what they are for. It doesn't even sound like they will work.

I understand this frustration. My mom has pancreatic cancer and every time she says she has an issue, they just give her more meds. I had to forcefully ask for nutrition counseling to help her with her stomach aches and other issues.

Keep searching for someone who takes a more holistic approach. And if you think it's IBS, do a little research for what you can do nutrition/holistically.

I hope you get some answers.

And themrgnar sounds SUPER fun! I want to try one of those some day...

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Have you had an endoscope, upper GI, sonogram or all of the above? I had extreme pain, wound up being my gallbladder. Had that out after my son was born in '96. Turns out A LOT of women experience gallbladder issues after childbirth. With the upper GI they discovered a healed ulcer of my duodenum, which I didn't know I had, or the frickin gallbladder pain trumped that. My mom had a perf. ulcer and almost died last year from it (beautiful side-effect of chemo), but that was mind-numbing pain. Have you eliminated dairy?

After I had my daughter in '98, I was experiencing horrible pain up at the top of my stomach and the dr. thought it was a hiatal hernia. In order to start taking the Prilosec (at that time it was script only) I needed to stop nursing (she was 9 months old). Turns out, I think my eating habits and reclining to nurse had more of a relation to the pain and once I stopped nursing, it went away!

I hope you find answers to this soon. You shouldn't live with pain. You're taking great care of yourself and you should feel wonderful, not resigned to it. Maybe another doctor will LISTEN to you. You are your best advocate!

*~*~* Tracy said...

I have had stomach issues my whole life as have a number of my family members.

I agree that you should keep digging. Sadly you are your best advocate. Personally, I wouldn't take medicine for a non life threatening issue unless I knew what was going on.

Have you had your gallbladder looked at? My mom was 'diagnosed' with diverticulitous (sp??) for years until she had a horrendous gallbladder attack that landed her in the hospital for a couple of days.

Also (boy I sound like a smarty mcfarty today, don't I?) the more I read about wheat, the more I'm convinced I need to eliminate not just from my diet, but my kids as well. It's a pervasive ingredient so it will require a lot of committment on my end.

All in all, I hope you find the root of the issue and some relief. Daily pain sucks! :(

Anonymous said...

I have IBS - and I have always felt like the doctors diagnosed that b/c they don't know what else to call stomach pain. I do not take medication for IBS. I found what I ate really caused things to act up. I eliminated entirely any and all foods that did not "agree" with my stomach. That has really helped to live with it. You should look into more tests and/or holistic practitioner to really get a good idea of what is going on and not just be taking medicines. Good luck to you!