Friday, April 20, 2012

You know you're a running nerd when...

Score! New gels made with Chia - long run here I come!
It happens slowly. Somewhere between picking up the sport as a hobby and now, a change occurs and BAM. You wake up a running nerd. I'm finally gonna stop fighting it and proudly wave my nerd flag high…

You know you're a running nerd when:

  • You go to the mall for a cute new outfit for a party, get sidetracked and leave with a few tech tees, a pair of running pants and a new water bottle instead.
  • You can't wait for your next long run to try a new type of energy gel.
  • You pay particular attention to new songs to figure out if they'd be good running songs or not.
  • You know at which point your new running song should play (great cool down tune!)
  • You follow people on Twitter simply because the word run, runner, marathon or other running-related term is in their user name.
  • Your heart does a little leap when the new Runner's World arrives in the mail.
  • You are totally psyched over your race day expo even though you've seen most of the products at every other expo you've ever been to! (You're extra nerdy if the people at the booths know you by name!)
  • You watch marathon coverage on television. (You're extra nerdy if you're like me and watch live streaming coverage on your computer!)
  • Your Christmas wish list includes any or all of the following: running sneakers, compression socks, Garmin, hydration system, race entry, and other running crap.
  • You know what "Goofy" means.
  • You find yourself looking forward to analyzing your race, splits, hydration, nutrition and pace post-race to figure out what went so right or what went so horribly wrong.
  • You can debate running outside vs. running on a treadmill or around a track all day long.
  • When you see other runners running and you're driving, you feel both a kinship and a little envy that you're not running too!
  • Not only do you know what negative split means, but when it happens, you have an uncontrollable urge to tell another runner about your run.
  • You hop your ass into New York city on a Wednesday morning by yourself to celebrate the ING New York City Marathon Opening Day just to be near the buzz of it all - even though you have no idea if you'll ever get in or run it (well, I'll get in and run it someday - I know I will)!
YEP. Running nerd. That's me. I'm so excited about this.
What makes you a running nerd?

XO
Jen





14 comments:

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

lol. Runners World is a day to stay away from Mommy because I have things to read!

And don't they do a lottery of people in the audience for NY?

Unknown said...

hahaha - I know I love that magazine. Who woulda thunk.

10 people who go to the event find out "live" if they've been selected. I imagine it'll be a mob scene but I'm such a nerd. Hopping the train, putting Ben in his program and Mommy is going to the city by herself to around other runner nerds. It's like my star trek convention… minus the cool costumes! hahaha.

Unknown said...

PS: Other running nerds - you can actually watch ING NYC opening day live on line:

Tune in to the live stream on tv.nyrr.org, beginning at noon EDT on Wednesday, April, 25, for celebrity guest apperances and exclusive event announcements from Columbus Circle NYC. You may even see your name scrolling across the screen by the time this event ends at 12:30 p.m.!

You can also catch live coverage of this event during your local (NYC) ABC7 news broadcast, which begins at noon EDT.

Teamarcia said...

Guilty as charged! I love that you go to NYC for opening day live-fun!
I do watch the live stream. Oy. :)

Kristin said...

Your bag for a weekend race trip includes shorts, capris, back-up shorts and/or capris, a selection of sleeveless, short-sleeve, and long-sleeve shirts, a running jacket, a couple of hats, 2-3 running bras, compression socks, regular socks, running shoes, back-up running shoes, Garmin, iPod, a large selection of gels, the latest Runners World plus a running memoir to read during rest times, a toothbrush, jeans, and underwear (you can wear the race shirt after the run). Okay, that's MY bag! :)

Running With The Girls said...

Chia gel! Awesomeness. Yes - running nerd here. What makes me a nerd is that I spend far more money on running clothes than work clothes and wear running clothes for just about everything.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Hmmmm...I'm not babysitting Wednesday... Invitation only? Will you find out on Wednesday if you were picked?

Unknown said...

Love it marcia!
Kristin - I was cracking up! you are a running nerd ;)
Jen - I'll report back on the Chia gel - my friend saw it at an Expo and picked it up for me to try!
Linda--- Oooooh I would love company! But you do have to show ID to get in? Not sure the deal there. 10 "lucky" lottery entrants will find out if they get in or not… I'm sure it'll be a zillion NYC folks but ya never know! ;) I would fricken die if they called my name. I think everyone else finds out something this week.

Brandan E. Lloyd said...

You know you're a running nerd when:

You pull your wife over and you both snort while reading a post on "You know you're a running nerd when..."

jamie said...

I have just laughed my butt off at your list here... SOOOO me!!
I can add that if I'm planning a super hard workout, like running the stadium steps or doing a long run, I can't sleep the night before Even if it's just me... not even a real race. lol!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Just as long as it's not a Reaping!

Unknown said...

Love it Brendan!

Good one, Jaime ;)

Jason said...

No longer a running nerd but instead a triathlete geek. All the same rules apply. I have to fix this or fix that but instead I just bought $50 worth of Honey Stinger waffles.....yup Tri Geek.

Sara said...

I have a gigantic smile on my face (at work, nonetheless) over this post! I can relate to so many of these. Awesome post.

"You are totally psyched over your race day expo even though you've seen most of the products at every other expo you've ever been to! (You're extra nerdy if the people at the booths know you by name!)" My poor husband doesn't understand why we have to visit ALL of the booths, EVERY expo. He always says, "aren't they always the same?!" HAHA!

Thank you for a fun post, my friend. :)