Saturday, March 31, 2012

The worst run ever

wtf happened?
Yesterday I experienced the worst run ever.

I had grand plans of running 10 miles. I had the time, the weather was perfect, I had my new toy… so things should've went as planned.

Ha.

I got to running, decided to run slower since mentally I wasn't into it and it was a longer run for me. Fine.

My legs were feeling tight (perhaps from pushing the speed one two many times this week) but aside from that I was just mentally - UCK. I had zero desire to run. ZERO. I hated every song my iPod spit out at me. Around 2.5 miles I did what I haven't done since I first started running, I walked.

Then I hit 3 miles and walked again and decided to head back.

The last 3 miles was a shit show of running as slow as I could and walking.

It was pitiful.

With all the walking, I had some time to think.

I think I might be suffering a little 'running burn-out'.  I'm not sure why, I'm not logging giant mileage weeks or anything but yesterday I just was soooooo not in the mood and I couldn't overcome it. I've never thrown in the flag like that. I mean, I've cut runs short but I've never cut them short and decide to walk half of it. Ever. Well. First time for everything, I guess.

I will take today off.  The rest of the week is hectic and next Saturday I'm running the Hollywood half.

My plan is to keep my runs easy and light this week leading up to the race and maybe focus on a little cross training until my running love comes back.

What's the worst run you've ever had?

How do you shake it off?

What do you do to get your running mojo back?

XO
Jen




8 comments:

nikki said...

i trudged through yesterday too.... some days it just happens... have a light week and then a great time at the hollywood half!! xo

Dana White said...

I usually go back through my logs on those days and realize how much work I've put in over time. And then I usually treat myself to something--a new pair of running socks, maybe some new music (although I don't run with an iPod), or maybe even a big old cup of Starbucks. You know you are a running when you have crap days! And--they make the good days feel even better! :)

*~*~* Tracy said...

I hate those runs. The only good thing about them is the knowledge that everyone has days/runs like that.
If you're tired and run down more often than not, you may be overtraining. Maybe take a week or two and walk your miles or bike instead of running?

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I had to look back at my posts and I think one of the worst runs I ever had was after I gave blood! My routine has been screwy, so I have missed a couple of runs over the last month or two. Maybe your crazy travel schedule has messed up your routine?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the support guys, I guess it happens. i'll get my groove back.

Caroline said...

you know we all have those.
put it behind
moving on
at least it was not on race day
right?

my worst one...rainy cold 11 miles. I ALMOST call for a pick up but I did not and I finsh but it was hell. I remember it really well. Easter last year

Suz and Allan said...

Ugh, I hate that you felt you had such a bad run!

Unknown said...

I totally have days like that, sometimes our minds just are not friends with our bodies!