Sunday, April 15, 2012

Boston bound or turn around?

record breaking heat didn't stop me during my first half…
thankfully, the locals hosed us down
Like most of the running world, I'm excited for Boston. Although I'm not running it, I'm looking forward to following the coverage online and rooting on my friends. 

I read earlier today that racers have been given an option to defer their entry to 2013 if they wish because the heat is expected to reach a highly unusual 86 degrees tomorrow.  Yikes! Brutal for sure… 

But.

What would I do in this situation? I have to say I'm 98% sure that I wouldn't defer. I mean this is the day you've been waiting for and training for. I probably wouldn't PR, I would surely slow down and rethink fueling and hydrating needs but defer? Probably not. I mean the bragging rights and the story alone… "I finally get into Boston and of course it's the year that it was like a million degrees… but yeah, I finished. And it was awesome."

I wouldn't blame anyone who deferred.  I should be so lucky to have such a decision to make.  And it's easy for me to say from my will-be-air-conditioned couch, I'm not facing down the horrible temps… and heat can be downright dangerous in endurance races and not to be taken lightly.

So, what about you? Would you be marathon bound or turned around during a heat wave?

What would make you defer? Snow? Rain? Tornado watch? Zombie apocalypse? 

Zombies actually make me run faster ;)

XO
Jen


16 comments:

Caroline said...

In this situation I would run it for sure. We cannot know what can happen in a year. Life is too short.

Christy H. said...

I lived in TX for 6 years about a decade ago. I ran heat there so I think I would still run it. That being said, I have lived in WA for the past decade so the heat would kill me, lol. I about died at the Hollywood half (not really) from the heat. I could only imagine hotter and twice the distance. I too am rooting from my couch (or phone as I will be at work) and hoping all racers stay healthy and hydrated.

John Hulsey said...

I would totally run, though like you I would adjust for the heat and focus just on finishing.

The day before the Marine Corps Marathon this past October, a surprise storm came through and left a path of snow and ice across the region. I still ran and can't imagine how disappointed I would have been to defer.

Unless it's fast zombies (the slow ones are no problem), I'm definitely running the events!

Mary said...

When I'm training for a race, I run no matter what it's like outside - because that's what I'd do on race day. If it rains, I run. If it's hot, I run. I just adjust my speed/hydration/etc. to suit the weather. So I would probably still run - after all that training, I wouldn't want to have to defer a year! That's a long time, and who knows what the weather (or my life!) will be like then.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I couldn't imagine putting in all of that work and then pushing the finish line another 365 days away. That being said, I'd probably be the body that everyone trips over on the course because the heat took me OUT!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

From what I have read in order to defer to next year, you have to go pick up your bib. If that is the case, I'd be running because what is the point to go to Boston, pick up your bib and defer. The costs are already there so you might as well run. If they offered a deferral in which you did not have to come to Boston I'm sure more people would defer.

christina said...

I dont know if its just me or because the runners running Boston run WAY faster than I do ... but I trained for my fall runs all summer in 85-95 degree heat and humidity. 86 just doesnt seem that high to me. Yes you need to adjust for it but its not 100.

Mandy said...

Despite living in Texas for years, I'm a major heat wimp. MAJOR. Nonetheless, I think deferring would be awfully hard given the anticipation of this race. I don't know any running it that have taken that option.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments! Yep, I'm a wimp when it comes to running in the heat as well. I hate it. I would bitch and moan the whole way but I think I would try to suck it up and do it.

Jason said...

Boston is the reward for the hard work and I would go and enjoy the run. I would not race it and just be happy to be there for the experience.

Let's also not forget the cost of travel and lodging and then to do that again the next year would be nuts.

Erica Gorman said...

I would run but run safe. :)

Unknown said...

I would run for sure! I would be smart, hydrate and listen to my body. BUT I WOULD RUN FOR SURE

Yo Momma Runs said...

Definitely run. I ran a FL marathon in January that was in th 80s. In January!! So the Floridians train in a sauna year round. They were probably feeling chilly in Boston.

I would definitely run! No matter what. That's just how stupid excited I would be.

Lisa said...

In Amesbury, MA there is actually a race called the "Run for Your Life 5K," where people dressed as zombies actually chase you. If you get "caught" by a zombie, you become one too!

Unknown said...

Lisa, that is hilarious! I am actually a big wuss and getting chased by even fake zombies would probably freak me out - hahaha

Sara said...

You should come run the Zombie run with me in Columbus - maybe we can both PR!! HAHA! It would be fun, to say the least.

I can't believe how warm it was in Boston. Like you, I would probably not defer. Who knows if/when I would ever have another opportunity to run Boston. I would think the same - I had trained for it and I would do it, even if I didn't make my time goals. I, however, also would not blame anyone for deferring. Crazy heat!

Have a great weekend my BBFF!! :)