Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 8 - 75 days to go! What's your "stop" story?


This morning I did something even more out of my comfort zone than going to the gym at 8 at night, I went to the gym at six... in the morning.  Meaning I got out of my warm cozy bed at 5:15 am.

I know this isn't that impressive to most people but you have to understand something about me, I barely get out of bed to roll to the bathroom to pee.  I will choose to sleep through bladder pain and risk wetting the bed (which I've never done for the record) than have to leave my snoozy cocoon... never mind getting dressed, getting into my car and going to a gym... No way. "I'm not a morning person."  "I'd rather be fat than get up so early." "I can't," "what about taking care of the baby."  Blah, blah, blah.

And that's the stories I've always told myself - the stories to why I just couldn't possibly work out so early.  And don't you know it, all these years I bought it.  All these years I believed that I would die of sleepiness or something if I left the house that early to work out.  All these years I believed that I would hate getting up so early to exercise.  All these years I believed that I didn't have time to exercise because quite frankly, waking up at the crack of dawn was simply not even an option.  Totally out of the question.

And you know what?  I LOVED it.  I mean LOVED it.  I felt empowered, I felt proud of myself, I felt energized and ready to take on my day and most of all I felt like it was something I could do again.

My training had me moving up to running for 3 minutes at a stretch and walking for one.  I'm doing it.  It's not easy for me but I'm doing it and liking it.  In the middle of my final run I accidentally punched the "stop" button.  It was annoying because I had a good stride, was listening to a good song (thanks to all those playlist suggestions!) and was in the zone.  But I hit that stop and the machine slowed to a halt and it started to display my work out stats... it took a minute or two but I quickly got the thing moving back up to speed and went running on my merry way.

It occurred to me that so many times I have hit a mental stop button and let it end my run.  Whether it was getting up early or feeling too fat, too out of shape, too lazy, too busy, whatever - I told myself a story that said "stop."  And I would.  But no more.  My new story says, "there's no stopping me."  If I hit a roadblock, I'll find a detour, a new road, a new way -- there's no bed too warm it's time to stop snoozing and start living...  sleep is overrated anyway.  ;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! 5:15 is early! Go Jen!

The Skårtist said...

sleep is NOT overrated! I LOOOOOVE sleep. I'm totally impressed by your motivation. I thought about getting out of my own bed at 5am this morning in solidarity! -- but then I rolled over and went back to sleep...

Unknown said...

I love sleep too ;) thanks for the comments!