Wednesday, March 21, 2012

5 ways to move that caboose when you're feeling stuck at the station

Siers / FreeDigitalPhotos.net
After a few years of losing weight / maintaining weight loss and finally having developed a healthy and active lifestyle there is at least one truth that cannot be argued - to truly be healthy we have to move it and keep moving it.

Oh trust me, prior to finding this unlikely love and passion for running I fought that concept every step of the way. I faithfully counted my Weight Watcher points, I worked at eating cleaner and leaner but still grumbled, kicked and screamed when it came to real fitness. 

This is probably why it took me more than 2 years to lose my first 40 pounds (and then after finding running) less than a year to lose 50+.

Now-a-days, exercise is a healthy habit that I have grown to love and appreciate but even with this appreciation comes many a lazy day where it seems like I can find any crappy excuse in the world to procrastinate or skip a run.

So here are a few things that keep me moving my caboose when all I want to do is stay at the station: (and blog hop, Facebook obsess, watch another Real Housewives episode or whatever…) 

  1. ONE MILE. or rep, or sit-up or jumping jack. Whatever it is, sometimes you've got to fake it 'til ya make it. If I truly don't feel like running that five mile run I will put on my sneakers and tell myself to just run for one mile or just for 10 minutes. Sometimes I'll force myself to sit on the exercise bike, "for just 5 minutes" or do "just one set" of bicep curls.  First off, even if it's all you do, at least it's something - mentally and physically it is better than nothing, second, you have indeed "moved your caboose" and third - there's a very good chance that the momentum will build for you to do much more than the "only" that got you moving to begin with! You know how I feel, this is not the first time I've talked about doing whatever you can. I still believe in leaving "no mile behind."
  2. POWER UP. Do you have a favorite work out song or two? Good. Fire them up! Blast it, remember the best sweat you ever had to that song, close your eyes and imagine those endorphins flooding your body. Likewise if you have a favorite running quote, blog post or inspirational passage.  People watch romantic movies (you know what I mean) to get in the mood for love so why not call upon images, music or words that will get you in the mood to move? Tap a foot, sing along and "get a good feeling," go for "the eye of the tiger," or remind yourself why you were "born to run" and get out there!
  3. RACES. Keeping a race on the schedule is super motivating for me. I have to be working for something or some goal or it gets too easy to become complacent. The temptation to skip too many workouts is lessened when I know that I have my cold hard cash invested in a race and an expectation on myself to perform well.
  4. DIAL A FRIEND.  Find one accountability buddy or cheerleader. Someone who'll gently (or not so gently) kick ya in the caboose when you need a little shove out the door. And even better if that person will get out there with you. Many times I have been lagging, and with a little help from my friends, got back out there and on track. In fact, some of the best workouts I've had in my life was courtesy of friendly 'peer pressure' from my friends - like the intense Cardio Barre and Boot Camp classes that my friend Angela forced me encouraged me to do!
  5. NEW STUFF.  Now don't break the bank but I will say that when I need a little extra pep in my step and have a little extra money to burn that buying something new does wonders for my motivation. Whether it's a new gadget, pair of socks or cute new tech tee - there's something about something new that gives me that extra little boost to get going when the going is tough.
having a goal helps! couldn't wait to get this sticker on
my bumper!
On a side note, if you are really struggling to get going you might have to do a little digging. Have you been pushing yourself too hard and legitimately need a rest day? Are you burning yourself out with doing the same work out every day at too high of an intensity? Don't be afraid to try other activities.  Sometimes you do just need a break. That's OK too, as long as your break doesn't turn into a break-up, it's all good.

So what do you do to keep that caboose moving? 

What are some of your tips for keeping in the game?

Do you have a favorite song that psyches you up for running or working out? 

XO
Jen



10 comments:

Unknown said...

I lived by the "10 minute" rule. Those days when "I don't feel like it" I make sure I give it at least 10 minutes before I bail. 9 times out of 10, I'd execute it with a smile after that first 10 mins.

Training has become such a passion now, I rarely have those days...but when I do
10 MINUTES!!

Crystal said...

I absolutely LOVE this post. I never knew I had the 10 minute rule...but that's pretty much my exact mindset when I'm completely unmotivated.

I am just getting back into running... but I love road and mountain biking. Those create nice alternatives on days I don't feel like running. For some reason, those feel less like working out and more like FUN.

P.S. You are such an inspiration.

misszippy said...

Your first tip is one of my favorites. Just getting out the door is half the battle.

And being a competitive soul, I often think to myself that if I'm not doing it, my competition is!

Anonymous said...

Oh girl! I just blogged about this same subject (sort of)... if you wanna take a peek, here's the linky:
http://savannahscrapbooking.typepad.com/savannah_scrapbooking/2012/03/how-to-run-for-an-hour-and-forty-minutes-without-getting-bored-to-pieces.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments - Jen and Amanda, I do imagine that neither of you ever have any motivation issues! You guys are awesomely inspiring and incredible to me when it comes to grabbing your training and running with it ;) I agree - the ten minute rule is a good one to get going. Amanda, sometimes I imagine the 'competition' but that competition is more with myself. If I want to PR or have a brag-worthy finish time I have to put in the work.

Thanks Crystal - and I do think doing stuff that is FUN really is so important to prevent burnout

Jaime, going to go check out your post right now!

Lealah said...

It's funny you talked about the 10 minute rule here. I have a friend that was asking for advice and I told her exactly that! Well, not exactly, but it basically amounts to that. 9 times out of 10 my absolute best workouts started with that first 10 minutes of forcing myself out there! Great post!

Emily said...

These are all really great suggestions! The 10-minute rule works wonders for me but I am also a huge fan of trying new things... new combinations of running clothes, new routes, doing my usual route backwards, trying a new GU flavor, new music, etc.

I've found that the VERY best motivator for me is to try a new pair of running shoes! I've even gone running twice in one day because of it! But obviously and unfortunately it's way too expensive to get a new pair of running shoes every time you need motivation... sigh!

Karen said...

Great suggestions, I am in between training plans right now and get stuck at the station more than I care to admit! I constantly negotiate with myself, giving myself permission to leave the seesion a few minutes early if I am not feeling it. That usually works, if I go into giving myself the permission to bail, I usually end up sticking it out. Oh the mind games we play... :)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Love it all! What's that quote? "Fake it til you make it?" Some suggest putting your workout clothes out the night before so they're the first things you see when you wake up OR go to sleep in them! I find having a gym membership as highly motivating. First, I am super cheap and it would KILL me not to get my money's worth and second, all of those people working out around me? We are so in competition! They might not know it, but I do! They push me to go harder or longer and I hope I do the same for them!

Sara said...

This is great and helpful advice, Jen. Thank you!!