Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not so clean eating and new toys

I am on the clean, healthy eating trail. Lot's of good stuff this week, juicing every day, consuming a mainly plant based diet with a few eggs and hormone free, free range poultry here and there -- I'm even consuming freakin' chia seeds. I'm really working at this and actually feel great. Have also eliminated most wheat (due to a suspicion of having a gluten thing…)

But, how easy we fall off the wagon.

I had to bring my darling son to the doctor today. His favorite thing in the world is strawberry ice-cream in a cone.

Now don't judge me. I'm doing the best I can with this parenting thing and I know this is a parenting fail but this kid was flipping out, like major melt-down flipping out about going to the doctor, he was laying on the pavement of my driveway having a stroke. I was at my wits end and impulsively promised him I'd buy him ice cream if he was a good boy at the doctor. I know, I know. Bribery. Rewarding with junky food. I promised myself I would never do that. I fell victim. I'll have to figure out how to do better next time… but for now, it's what happened.

So off we went. He did fine at the doctor, so Ben was ready to collect on the promise. I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things anyway and got him his favorites.  He took four bites from his little cone and was done. I guess it was more about him going to the store and picking out his loot.

I should've tossed it out and been happy that Ben didn't want to over-do it. Instead I mindlessly took a taste and then proceeded to scarf the whole thing. Where the F did that come from? 

Fail. Chemical filled/non-organic, craptastic bribe. shame.

Parenting fail /  clean eating fail. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Oh well. Guess it's going to take some practice. I'm slowly trying to convert the whole family to cleaner eating. Hubby and son doing pretty well otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news - I got to use my brandy-new Garmin yesterday - yippee!

I am still learning all the bells and whistles and didn't set  it properly to give me my splits, so my four miles was one big lap. It was cool to see the HR and all the other things it does. I can see how this thing can mess with your mind tho. I'd look down and see my pace and would instantly feel 'challenged' to run faster. If it wasn't what I wanted it to be I'd pick it up. This could be a good and bad thing. But I'm really looking forward to getting used to the thing.

And BTW, in defense of NIKE + app - I had that running too since it's connected to my iPhone and my   iPhone has my music - Nike+ was on point with pace and distance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in yet other news…

My son has delays and special needs and one of his delays is speech. He is talking more and more everyday.  It makes me proud that one of the few things he'll say is "Mamma goes exercise…" and "Mamma runs." This morning he picked up a Runner's World magazine and as he flipped through it, he saw a picture of a super fit, young woman, pointed to her and exclaimed, "Mama!!" "Mama running!" :-)  It's the little things.

How are things going with you?

Have you had a food or parenting fail lately?

What's your favorite feature on your Garmin or other pacing device?

XOXO
Jen








Post a Comment