Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not so clean eating and new toys

I am on the clean, healthy eating trail. Lot's of good stuff this week, juicing every day, consuming a mainly plant based diet with a few eggs and hormone free, free range poultry here and there -- I'm even consuming freakin' chia seeds. I'm really working at this and actually feel great. Have also eliminated most wheat (due to a suspicion of having a gluten thing…)

But, how easy we fall off the wagon.

I had to bring my darling son to the doctor today. His favorite thing in the world is strawberry ice-cream in a cone.

Now don't judge me. I'm doing the best I can with this parenting thing and I know this is a parenting fail but this kid was flipping out, like major melt-down flipping out about going to the doctor, he was laying on the pavement of my driveway having a stroke. I was at my wits end and impulsively promised him I'd buy him ice cream if he was a good boy at the doctor. I know, I know. Bribery. Rewarding with junky food. I promised myself I would never do that. I fell victim. I'll have to figure out how to do better next time… but for now, it's what happened.

So off we went. He did fine at the doctor, so Ben was ready to collect on the promise. I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things anyway and got him his favorites.  He took four bites from his little cone and was done. I guess it was more about him going to the store and picking out his loot.

I should've tossed it out and been happy that Ben didn't want to over-do it. Instead I mindlessly took a taste and then proceeded to scarf the whole thing. Where the F did that come from? 

Fail. Chemical filled/non-organic, craptastic bribe. shame.

Parenting fail /  clean eating fail. Time to go back to the drawing board.

Oh well. Guess it's going to take some practice. I'm slowly trying to convert the whole family to cleaner eating. Hubby and son doing pretty well otherwise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news - I got to use my brandy-new Garmin yesterday - yippee!

I am still learning all the bells and whistles and didn't set  it properly to give me my splits, so my four miles was one big lap. It was cool to see the HR and all the other things it does. I can see how this thing can mess with your mind tho. I'd look down and see my pace and would instantly feel 'challenged' to run faster. If it wasn't what I wanted it to be I'd pick it up. This could be a good and bad thing. But I'm really looking forward to getting used to the thing.

And BTW, in defense of NIKE + app - I had that running too since it's connected to my iPhone and my   iPhone has my music - Nike+ was on point with pace and distance.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in yet other news…

My son has delays and special needs and one of his delays is speech. He is talking more and more everyday.  It makes me proud that one of the few things he'll say is "Mamma goes exercise…" and "Mamma runs." This morning he picked up a Runner's World magazine and as he flipped through it, he saw a picture of a super fit, young woman, pointed to her and exclaimed, "Mama!!" "Mama running!" :-)  It's the little things.

How are things going with you?

Have you had a food or parenting fail lately?

What's your favorite feature on your Garmin or other pacing device?

XOXO
Jen








13 comments:

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

bribery = we all do it! no worries.
And how did I not know about your son's speech and delays? * hugs * Great strides makes happy news!

Mandy said...

I don't think you should be so hard and yourself and call it a fail. You probably ate it all because you've been depriving yourself too much. I don't believe that a little reward here and there is a bad thing.

Too cute about your son!

Unknown said...

Thanks. It's a bit of a fail because it wasn't a planned, dignified treat. I have no problems with treats and really haven't felt deprived. I'm eating more now then I did before, in fact. It's a fail because I scarfed the thing without even really needing or wanting it. It was a weirdo thing. Like if I was craving it, or had to have it, I would consider it less of a fail - but it's OK. I'll get over it. Life is moving on and this little ice cream cone should be my worst problem! lol

BW - yes, he does. I relate so much to a lot of your blog because we go thru it too. We had our meeting yesterday and while he's making great strides we still have a ways to go.

Unknown said...

I ate some Good and Plentys at the airport on my layover yesterday. I decided to cut myself some slack. You should too.

My favorite part of the Garmin is the pace runner. Does yours have the pacer on top and you underneath?

Unknown said...

Yes it does have the little runner dude. I can't wait to chase him. It really has so much crap in that thing - I need to spend some time learning it all!

Jason said...

Not a fail......it's life. Sh*t happens sister.

Don't beat yourself up and just move on to the next thing is all.

That is awesome that your son recognizes that you are working out. That is leading by example.

Jamie said...

I'm just so freakin' impressed that you actually bought the ice cream cone stuff from the grocery store! I'd have lazied out and hit the Sonic or Dairy Queen, haha.
And I TOTALLY know what you mean about the cone scarfage... I'd have done it too.
And YAY for your Garmin...I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine!! And you're SO right about how it makes you want to go faster, I've already improved my pace significantly (which just means going from super slow to moderately slow lol) since I got mine. It'like a little nag on your wrist saying, "GO GO GO!"

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I'm reading this while eating my Bush's baked beans... yum!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the words of kindness… Jason I really thought you were gonna come down on me for the slips in both feeding my kid and myself crap… but it is what it is and yes sh*t happens. Luckily I've come to the point where we are all doing pretty good most of the time.

Jaime, if I didn't have to pick up other things I would've found someplace to scoop up an ice-cream for the kid. That is actually better because now I have a half a gallon of ice cream in the freezer and 24 craptastic cones. (I am loving the Garmin!)

LOL, Lynda… I love it. I am happy I'm not alone! Guess it's all part of the journey. Somedays it's kale and long runs and somedays it's ice-cream and repeats of The Real Housewives ;)

misszippy said...

I would not chalk that up to a parenting or eating fail. It's a blip on the screen in an overall healthy approach. Let it roll right off your back. And don't think we haven't all been there, 'cause we have!

Amanda@justagirl said...

We have been converting to "cleaner" eating and should actually receive our juicer in the mail today. What kinds of things do you juice that work well together?

I hate it when I do that with food. I am really bad about eating off of my kids plates, and try really hard not to do it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi, Amanda -

One of my favorite juices is a carrot/ginger/apple juice:

One apple
One small chunk of ginger root (peeled)
3 decent sized carrots
half of cucumber (I peel it)

Juice away.

Lately I've been adding spinach, parsley, cilantro and celery to the above - they all do different good things for your body. I love it but my husband didn't so if you are new to juicing you might want to baby step your way up in the greens. I've never tried juicing Kale. I hear juicing Kale is awesome for you but I hear it doesn't taste so great.