Wednesday, March 7, 2012

No TWO miles left behind: running short

my recent little jaunts
A few months ago I wrote this post called, "No Mile Left Behind." Basically, I made the argument that every mile counts so if you can't get in your long run (or your short run) there's no need to abandon the run altogether because anything is better than nothing.

How quickly we forget our own rantings. I even have it up in the bar up there… Still. Do I read my own posts? Nope.

I have been beating myself up because the last few weeks I've been not getting in the miles I've wanted 3 miles here, 2 miles there - a good day maybe 4, it's been since February since I've gotten 6 or more.

There's a litany of good reasons and bad excuses why this has happened and I won't bore you with the details… but the good news is, I've kept running.

So while I feel guilty about these mini-runs there are still some good things about these little runs:

  • Mental break:  A two mile run is fun. It's now (puffs out chest proudly) under twenty minutes for me. I don't have to 'psyche myself up' to run 2 miles like I do for, say, an 8 mile run.
  • Speed builder: I have a little internal rule, if I'm gonna only run 2 miles, I have no excuse for strolling. It's (puffs out… ok it's not that fast...) only 19 mins or so, there's no need to 'save some for later' like you have to when running long. 
  • Calorie burn: Hey. I'm still maintaining a 96 pound weight loss and burning calories counts. At around 215 calories per 2 miles my three little 2 milers this week alone has torched away 645 calories… That's the equivalent of 6 light beers or a big mac and small coke or 3 servings of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia low fat frozen yogurt --> Definitely worth running for food.
And I still maintain that momentum is super important - that was the main point of my original "no mile left behind post," sometimes you've gotta fake it 'til ya make it. Running two miles leads to more miles because you are keeping the momentum up. If you were to just skip the 1 - 2 - 3 mile runs because you couldn't do more, you might find yourself not running at all for weeks.  EGADS. The horror.

What are some of your favorite reasons to get in mini-runs?

Do you beat yourself up when your runs are short?

Do you think mini-runs are a waste of time?

Do you have a favorite flavor of frozen yogurt?

xo
Jen



10 comments:

RunToTheFinish said...

i definitely use those mental tricks like hey any burn works and yes if it's short make it count

I finally realized i actually needed to step back for a few weeks and so i hope when I come back I'll be able to hit my desired speeds

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

My Tuesdays and Thursdays are interval and tempo runs, so they're generally around 3 miles or so. On off days I've been trying different treadmill programs- one is a hill hike, and 4.5 mph at a 10 incline gets me jogging, huffing and puffing up that hill for 5 minutes! So, my walks have kind of become short runs, too. Running is definitely the BEST drug!

Suz and Allan said...

I don't think mini runs are a waste of time at all. Doing a little each day is not only great exercise but I sleep so much better!

Erica Gorman said...

Don't beat yourself up. When life gets busy, or we get in a rut, our runs may become shorter. I have a lot of 1 mile runs in February but I am glad for each one. Okay, it bugged me to see them all and I have the desire to get my long runs back in my plan, but I am still thankful for the runs. Each mile counts, each run counts, and you know what? That long series of small, measly one mile runs kept me in pretty good form to crank out a half marathon run this week.

Keep up the great running, no matter how long. Each mile counts. Each step counts. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember, we are all very proud of you!

Jason said...

Sodas and Bic Macs? Did I just read that right?

And I do a lot of short runs off the bike. They are intense leg burning, lung torching I am going to puke runs but they elevate the HR and that is what they are for.

Unknown said...

Thanks peeps! You guys have some great comments and I appreciate you swinging by.

Suz - you are totally right, I sleep better too!

TY, running mom :)

haha - Jason. I know. As if I spend my calories on Big Macs and Coke. Just about never. But I thought it would be a good example of what those calories added up to… Now the fro yo… that one I am guilty of. And pizza once in a while. ;)

Jen said...

Thank you for this! You had perfect timing. I had been training for a marathon, hurt my ankle, took 2 weeks off, ran a week, now my hip hurts and it's looking like the marathon's a no-go. I've been bummed that my 100+ mile months may have come to an end, at least for a while, but hey, running is running, and short runs count for something! So thank you for the much-needed pick-me-up.:)

Unknown said...

You are so welcome, Jen!

I know the feeling -it's hard to not want to see those miles rack up but running is running.

Those small runs so count - just ask anybody who has been sidelined… What people would do to just run anything at all! We need to honor all runs, both big and small because they are sacred.

TurboTurtle said...

I wasn't really going to answer your questions, but kind of got hung up on the thought of 6 lite beers! I've virtually given up drinking much of anything while I'm training for this race coming up (in exactly 3 weeks), but GrazMan and I each had a Mich Lite at the Harlem Globetrotters Thursday night and it tasted so good! So yeah, there's motivation for a mile here, two miles there--no beer belly!

Sara said...

I beat myself up for NOT running, which has been happening WAY to much lately. I've gained back weight and not been running as much.

Girl, you are a HUGE inspiration to me - no matter how many miles you run. I just wanted you to know!