Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year! A Healthy Kick off and getting Whole30 ready

This morning I decided to kick off the New Year right by running with Moms In Motion. I usually wouldn't drag myself out in 23-feels-like-15-degree weather but I have missed the group and I figured that doing a bad-assed cold weather run was exactly what I needed to get moving in the right direction.

The group had a great turn-out and we were chilly but happy to be there.

Can't miss me with my bright pink gloves bottom left
Funny thing about running in the cold. I always build it up in my mind to be this horrible thing but the truth is, is that by the end of the run it could be 50 degrees out. I get so warmed up! I was actually sweating.  Another thing that did help a lot are these amazing cold-weather fleece-lined tights that my hubby got me for Christmas from Athleta. I have to say that Athleta is expensive but worth every penny. I don't have a lot from them but everything I do have rocks. Here are the pants I got in case you are interested.

After the run I came home and decided to get some more food prepped for the Whole30 challenge. I hard-boiled some eggs and then cooked up some chicken. I got a bag of peeled garlic from BJs so I dumped about 20 cloves into a crock pot along with a sliced onion and a little chicken stock and topped that with four big bone-in (with skin) organic chicken thighs. I seasoned those with some salt, pepper and tyme and let them cook all day. They smell heavenly. 

crock pot chicken
While that was cooking I went to the grocery store and stocked up on a bunch of veggies and stuff. I'm super excited to get started.

Then, I made some homemade mayonnaise for the first time! Holy crap I'm so proud of my mayo. I feel like Julia fricken Childs and it's delicious.  Here's the mayo recipe I used. (I wound up squeezing a lemon and measuring it out - all the bottled lemon juices I saw had sulfites in it to preserve.)

Look at that pretty mayo! 
Tonight I will have my final dirty martini until the program is complete. You will be missed.

For those of you who like dirty martinis and not saying goodbye - Dirty Sue is the best martini mix ever.

Hope you had a healthy kick off to your New Year!

Do anything special last night or today? How did you prep for some of your resolutions?

XO
Jen




6 comments:

Jennifer K. said...

Good luck! Last night I was primed to tackle some projects today. Then I woke up with a cold and now I'm in that decongestant haze...so...maybe tomorrow?

Unknown said...

Cold weather runs are usually not as bad as you think so it's great that you got out there(I hate the heat much more!)

Good luck!

Lauren said...

I warm up soooo much too when I run! Sometimes I hate it but sometimes it's good!

Good luck with the Whole 30!

Unknown said...

Love to have your recipe for mayo :)

Christine said...

I love when I start following a blog and then the author ends up doing something I am doing! I started the autoimmune protocol of the Whole30 on Jan 1st...the same day I did my first race, ever. It was a big day! Good luck to you.

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Patty the link for the mayo is in my blog I think it's in pink and says "here's the recipe I used" let me know if you can access it.

Congrats on the 5K Christine! I love when I can connect with others that are on a similar journey so glad we'll be doing it together!!