Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year! A Healthy Kick off and getting Whole30 ready

This morning I decided to kick off the New Year right by running with Moms In Motion. I usually wouldn't drag myself out in 23-feels-like-15-degree weather but I have missed the group and I figured that doing a bad-assed cold weather run was exactly what I needed to get moving in the right direction.

The group had a great turn-out and we were chilly but happy to be there.

Can't miss me with my bright pink gloves bottom left
Funny thing about running in the cold. I always build it up in my mind to be this horrible thing but the truth is, is that by the end of the run it could be 50 degrees out. I get so warmed up! I was actually sweating.  Another thing that did help a lot are these amazing cold-weather fleece-lined tights that my hubby got me for Christmas from Athleta. I have to say that Athleta is expensive but worth every penny. I don't have a lot from them but everything I do have rocks. Here are the pants I got in case you are interested.

After the run I came home and decided to get some more food prepped for the Whole30 challenge. I hard-boiled some eggs and then cooked up some chicken. I got a bag of peeled garlic from BJs so I dumped about 20 cloves into a crock pot along with a sliced onion and a little chicken stock and topped that with four big bone-in (with skin) organic chicken thighs. I seasoned those with some salt, pepper and tyme and let them cook all day. They smell heavenly. 

crock pot chicken
While that was cooking I went to the grocery store and stocked up on a bunch of veggies and stuff. I'm super excited to get started.

Then, I made some homemade mayonnaise for the first time! Holy crap I'm so proud of my mayo. I feel like Julia fricken Childs and it's delicious.  Here's the mayo recipe I used. (I wound up squeezing a lemon and measuring it out - all the bottled lemon juices I saw had sulfites in it to preserve.)

Look at that pretty mayo! 
Tonight I will have my final dirty martini until the program is complete. You will be missed.

For those of you who like dirty martinis and not saying goodbye - Dirty Sue is the best martini mix ever.

Hope you had a healthy kick off to your New Year!

Do anything special last night or today? How did you prep for some of your resolutions?

XO
Jen




Post a Comment