Thursday, January 9, 2014

Whole30 Day 7: Miss Cranky Pants

I made it to Day 7 without any real issues except yesterday I did feel super cranky most of the day. There is a day around 5 or 6 of the Whole30 where they say you might feel like "killing everyone" so I'm not sure if I had a delayed reaction to that day or if everyone around me legitimately deserved to be killed.



I have to say aside from yesterday's crabbiness, I'm feeling pretty good overall - energy has been really good. Yesterday at the gym I ran faster than I have for a long time yet the effort felt good, not like I was overly pushing it.

Next week I head back to Kentucky for two weeks to go back to work on location. It will be so much more challenging to do this on the road but I will do my best. I'm going to have to figure it out because there is no turning back now.

I went grocery shopping and the bill was 3 times what I usually spend. I went to a 'fancier' grocery store that has a lot of organics and specialty items. I stocked up on organic ghee, organic cashew nut butter, tons of veggies, meat, compliant chicken sausage, etc. I keep reminding myself that I am and my husband are worth the expense. It's expensive but preventing future disease, getting healthy, shedding weight is worth it- my husband is on cholesterol and blood pressure medication. He carries a few extra pounds in his belly. He's already looking and feeling better and if he gets heathy it's so worth it. Even though there is 'sticker shock' this is an investment in our future. Also we are saving where we are not drinking (me wine and he beer) he used to pick up breakfast and lunch at work everyday (we are saving a fortune there I bet) and we'd order out once or twice a week. So in the grand scheme of things we might not be spending too much more than we did before.

Food yesterday was OK - breakfast and lunch were pretty standard.  Dinner was delicious. I made an Avocado Basil lime salad dressing from the Nom Nom Paleo App to top some mixed baby greens, I threw a stew together in the crock pot that came out tasty and tender and I whipped up a Butternut Squash "mashed potato". It was delicious and easy. I bought a large pre-peeled, seeded half of butternut squash that was in my produce section so all I had to do was cube it.  I brought a pot of water to a boil and then boiled the squash about 10 minutes. Drained well, added a tablespoon of ghee and salt and pepper. I then pureed it with my immersion blender. It was so yummy.

doesn't look like much but it was very tasty

Hope all is going well for you!

Have you discovered any foods you like that you didn't know? I never would've thought butternut squash mash would be so good.

XO
Jen

No comments: