Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Embracing 2014 and how I'm ringing in the New Year

So I've decided to ring in the New Year by getting some of the goals and resolutions that I spoke about in this post yesterday - (I know, right? Two blog posts in a row!) rolling in the right direction.

The first thing I did this morning was to renew my membership with the Moms In Motion! They are an awesome group of women and a tremendous support - I feel lucky to be a part of the group.

MIMS! I'm bottom left with the arm warmers

Secondly, I took a bold leap and also joined the RTA (Ridgewood Tri Club). It seems like a very friendly (though very accomplished) Tri club and I have been stalking admiring them from afar for a while now. From the looks of the talent and caliber of athlete there I am a little nervous that I could be way out of my league. But I exchanged emails with the owner and she assured me that they are welcoming to beginners. Stepping out of your comfort zone is where you grow - right?



I then began to build my Whole30 pantry with some staples. For those of you who missed it, I'll be doing a clean eating detox program for 30 days beginning on Jan 2. It looks like a great program and it's based on the book "It Starts With Food." The program eliminates sugar, alcohol, legumes, grains, dairy, processed foods and gluten leaving you with all the organic meat, fish, eggs, coconut milk, veggies, fruits, (most) nuts, ghee, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and olives that you want!

I totally bought a cheap food processor (the one below was only $35 at Target) because I don't own one and a lot of good recipes for this plan includes using one. I also bought some vegetable peeler thing that will make zucchini into ribbons for this recipe I plan on making and also some homemade mayo.

Some of the other things I got was coconut aminos (reportedly tastes like soy sauce), coconut milk, coconut flour for thickening stuff, cashews, ghee, coconut oil, kalamata olives and a bag of sweet potatoes. Not pictured are a ton of eggs and some organic meats and veggies.



And in the spirit of Whole30 I made my favorite butternut squash soup that is totally made to fit the plan. It's yummy. If you are interested the Whole30 Butternut Squash soup recipe is here.

I've been hydrating with my very fancy Mom in Motion pink cup - my favorite!



Then I will head to the gym (when hubby gets home so I have someone to watch Ben) I will run my last run of 2013.

A few unhealthy things I'm doing today - I am polishing off some leftover pad thai as we speak and I'll be swilling in a martini or two as I watch the ball drop from the warm coziness of my couch!

Have a very happy, safe and healthy New Year!!

Are you doing any New Year prep today?

XO
Jen

3 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Happy new year, Jen! I'll be cleaning things up starting the 2 and, also. I have my eye on a cool kettle bell system I saw at Kohl's today that I will promptly p/u with the GC I asked for from my parents for tomorrow's Christmas!

Christine said...

Yes, I am doing the same Whole30 prep that you are. I stocked up earlier this week and today,I did quite a bit of cooking/food prep. I have eaten Paleo in the past but fell off the wagon. I will be doing a stricter autoimmune protocol as I am trying to treat a severe autoimmune illness.

I am running my first race tomorrow, a 5K and then I am Whole 30!! Best of luck to you and Happy New year!

Unknown said...

Thank Linda! Happy New Year to you as well - I might have to check out the Kettle bells myself.

Christine - looking forward to hearing about your Whole30 too! I've never done Paleo so I'm truly a newbie at this. I hope this helps your autoimmune illness - this really is supposed to be a great program for it. And wow!! Your first 5k - what a great way to kick off 2014 :-)