Saturday, January 18, 2014

Whole30 Day 15 and 16 - Not Winning

I've made it to the half way mark and am still remaining on track.

It's been FREAKIN' freezing here in Kentucky and I've been working outside all day. This Jersey girl went totally country yesterday and bought some carthartt gear from the tractor supply store. Those Carhartt bib/overall things are super warm and helped a bit today. Temperatures reached in the 20's but "felt like" the teens most of the day and it's been windy.

ready for the cold and to farm


I'm not hating this Whole30 plan and I'm finding it OK and mostly enjoyable. It was easier and I liked it better when I was at home and not working crazy long days but I'm managing.

A few annoying things though…

According to the "What to Expect and When" Whole30 thing - today I should have felt like I had "Tiger Blood" but instead of "winning" I felt like Charlie Sheen after a bender.  Last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible pain in the center of my chest - it's a tight cramps feeling in my stomach I get rarely but it's a killer when it comes on and last night it came on and woke me up at 3 AM. Ugh. Also (and sorry for the TMI) the last few mornings have been a bit rough in the morning in the "loo" department.



By now I thought the digestive things should be sorted? It's very frustrating.  I also don't feel like my clothes are getting any looser but I don't know. I'm sticking it out and going through the process.  I do have good energy during the day in spite of getting less sleep than I like to get usually.

On the up side, I'm proud of my commitment and sticking to the plan.

Speaking of not winning, I was disappointed to hear from my husband this morning that he 'didn't really cheat' but had a "sip" of lemonade - which makes me suspect that it was really more than just the lemonade (I mean who cheats with lemonade?) and even if he's truthful and it was just a sip - it messes up the program for him and he should technically start from day 1 (which I told him but I know he won't.) Ugh. I'm disappointed but what can I do? We all have to decide what is best for our health and I can't make him do something. I just wish he wanted to really, truly, fully commit to the program.

I won't bore you with the details of my meals as they were standard foods and meals I've talked about before involving eggs, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, avocado, etc.

I'm hoping to get out and run this weekend. It's been non-stop work and I haven't had a chance to run this week at all. Luckily I've been hauling the camera and we've been running around in our work so we're getting movement in.

Have you ever had a weight-loss friend, spouse or 'partner in crime' for  a program and the partner gave up? How did you handle the situation?

XO
Jen


3 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Yeah, I probably wouldn't cheat with lemon anything. It would definitely be a baked good, like the muffin I got today after volunteering for a race. Pretty sure it was the size of my head, and I have a big head. :(

Jen said...

Oooh I love me some Carhartt! They last forever. I have a pair of bibs that I wear every winter. They are so tough that nothing ruins those babies. :)

You know I did a 30 day challenge with my hubby once. We gave up sweets. In the first 3 days were at a birthday party for his nephew and who takes a piece of cake? My husband. Yup. I was PISSED! He agreed to do this with me and is eating cake? Later I found that he was eating my favorite girl scout cookies right out of the box from the freezer. We have an extra freezer in his shop. They were in there and when I discovered it they were almost gone. I'm discovered it after the challenge, but I'm pretty sure he was eating them during the challenge. I was pretty bummed. It's so nice to do things like this with someone, but they have to be fully on board. I've given up and just do it myself now. I can't imagine cheating with lemonade though. If I'm going to cheat, it's going to be on something better than that! lol

Julie said...

I started my weight loss journey for myself, but of course like many I had a "secret" agenda to get my husband involved. He's to the point where now he's in his 30s and I fear for the news that it's diabetes, or higher risk for stroke, heart disease, etc... not to mention every day it will get harder for him to shed the pounds. We tried to go on cleanses, "diets", and hard-core cold-turkey lifestyle changes, and he is always the one to bail first. It frustrates me, but I also came to the conclusion that what works for me just might not work for him.

So, I do my thing, and I try not to bug him about his lack of thing. He did cut out soda and sugar-y drinks, drinks one cup of coffee per day with a splash of milk and nothing else, and only drinks organic teas if he doesn't have his gallons of water with him... but the lack of exercise isn't helping the pounds drop off. /sigh

Good luck with the last half of your Whole30 challenge! I am looking forward to reading the rest of the results! :-)