Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thank you Tiger Woods - I am a runner



I had an epiphany this week. I'm nearly one year at my goal weight and in February I'll be running for a full two years.  This running thing, this living (pretty) healthy thing-- it's not a fluke, or a novelty or something that I'm 'trying' out this is truly who I've become.

A runner.

I remember when I first started running I was in the 13min mile range (on a good day.) I remember thinking how cool it would be if I could just get to below 12 min mile and today I ran a 9:55 / 9:34 split and Tiger Woods (via my NIKE+) kindly told me that I had recorded my 'fastest' mile to date.

If i'm feeling happy, I want to run. If I'm feeling crappy I really have to run. I prefer running outdoors but I don't even mind running on the treadmill anymore.  I like short runs, long runs and runs in-between.

I see other runners on the street and I want to high five them and shout, "looking good runner." I get excited for my running magazines when they come in the mail, I'm making room on my DVR for Iron Man replays and salivating over the NYC marathon coverage this weekend.

I'm also daydreaming about my next 26.2 already…

For a long time I felt like a bit of a running fraud. But now I don't. I know that I'm a runner.

Did you ever have an 'I'm a runner' epiphany or have you just always known you were one?

XO
Jen

5 comments:

nikki said...

terrific jen the runner! we have both become wiser (runners) with age... i will celebrate my three year running anniversary this spring... you've always been such a wonderful inspiration, and i always knew you were a runner from the beginning.... xo

Unknown said...

thanks Nik - I really should add to this blog that when we really became friends a few years ago and I would see you refer to me as "Jen the runner" I always loved it. It motivated me but I never really felt worthy of that title.

Now I do.

thanks for that. xo

Mandy said...

Congrats on your epiphany moment!! Congrats on your fastest mile ever too!

I don't know that I ever had one of those epiphany moments. :)

The Skårtist said...

hmmm. I still don't call myself a runner. I still "just run". maybe you have to have a marathon under your belt to feel worthy of a title like that?

Jason said...

Congrats on your discovery but you've been a runner for a long time now.

Keep up the great work and keep motivating people to get up off the couch. You are awesome.