Saturday, December 3, 2011

Watch out Mutai - Here I come! And an open letter to Nike+

Dear Nike+

People keep telling me I need to break up with you, that you're no good for me. That you tell me lies. 

I want to love you. Really I do. I love the bells and whistles, I love the 'cheers' I love your slick looks and other stuff.  I stick up for you, defend you and try to roll with the quirks.

And like many women before me, I even love when Tiger Woods whispers sweet nothings in my ear… "You've ran your fastest mile…" oh tell me more.

I really want to continue our love affair but if things don't change, I'm going to have to save my pennies and break up with you for the other guy. You know who I'm talking about, he rhymes with Charmin… 

Two days ago, you kicked me in the head and told me my run (and I know this was a pretty fast run) was a 15 minute mile. I don't walk that slow! When I protested, you tried to make me feel better - 

I just got an iPhone so I thought maybe the satellite App would be a better way to go.

And you gave me this feedback during my long run of yesterday:



YES. Nike+, you told me that my 8 mile run (which I know is 8 miles because I've done it 50,000 times before was actually a 9.72 run.

And even better, you told me that my first mile was run in 4.44! Wow - eat my dust Mutai who's average pace for the NYC marathon was 4:46.  Yes. Nike, you told me, i was that good.  Thanks. 'preciate that.

Your customer service is great -- but I'm sick of having to call you and have you upload workouts that vanish, get inaccurate information, and 'guess' if my pace and mileage is for 'realz' or not.

Sigh. I'll give your satellite App another shot or two and chalk it up to me fiddling with it before getting to my destination.  Hopefully we can work this out.

Love,
Jerseyjennyr

HoneyMilk + cool t-shirt = yay!
PS: oops - paper ball thing over my head from
recent party needs to be removed.
In other news, here was the best part of my 9.72 8 mile run yesterday - HONEYMILK! I recently won a case of Honeymilk and the fancy Cook, Train, Eat, Race teeshirt for naming Jason's newest pair of sneakers. So to recover, I decided try the Chocolate Honeymilk - WOW, my God, DEE-LISH. I will add it as another good reason to long run to my list - it was so good and felt like a reward.

Oh, and happy to report that I lost 2.4 pounds at Weight Watchers this week - so the Thanksgiving debacle has been erased and then some!

Hope all is good with you!


XO
Jen



13 comments:

Mandy said...

LOL! I love your open letter! Dang girl - you're so good you can make a run longer just because. :) I've never had Nike+, I splurged from the beginning - and now they have the 405 at Costco....

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Jason said...

I had the same conversation with Nike+ numerous times but usually in my head and not on paper. Good for you for laying it out there and save those pennies as you'll be much happier in the long run (get it....long run!)

Unknown said...

You will love your Garmin more than you've ever loved an inanimate object. Trust me! Like Mandy said, Costco!

Unknown said...

LOL, Mandy - i'll have to checkout how much it is at Costco! It's a little out of my budget right now. And I truly do like Nike+ when it's working correctly.

I can't blame it all on Nike some of it could be my nano but I'm not sure. My Nano isn't all that old. So who knows?

The peeps at Nike+ are really great and helpful so I feel bad about it but it's just been frustrating. I don't want to be told to 'recalibrate' it… again. Who has time to do one random mile over, and over at a track someplace?

Jason, love the 'long run' pun and thank you for the into to HoneyMilk - I'm definitely a new fan.

Unknown said...

LOL@ Ang -- You know the last few times I've had these issues, I kept thinking of you telling me to 'just get the Garmin' already!

Run with Jess said...

Yup, I broke up with Nike+ this past year. Funny because I too tried the iPhone GPS route... but finally FAILURE.
Congrats on your weight loss this week!!

Matt said...

Love your post--I used Nike's pre-Nike+ system and loved it too but getting the foot pod & watch to sync up was a major pain sometimes. And god forbid I somehow lost the settings, I had to go to the track and run a lap and adjust it. Finally in later models they made it so you could just enter the calibration once you knew it.

I've been Garming fro a few years & love that now, although a recent software "update" has messed up battery performance.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jess and Matt for swinging by with comments!

Matt, I'll be 'recalibrating' my sensor for the 3rd time if I decide to go that route. Since it's now recording 10:40'ish miles at 15 min miles… Maybe I'll stick with the App since that has turned a middle-aged mom from Jersey into a Kenyan! :)

Suz and Allan said...

Congrats on the loss this week! The honey milk sounds tasty!

Katie Foster said...

Wow! A 4:44 mile?! That kind of makes me want to break-up with my Garmin and get Nike+ ;)

Hahaha, I've heard the same complaints from a lot of people who use Nike+. My Garmin is my favorite investment EVER. You won't regret getting one!

Erica Gorman said...

Oh I am with you with the Nike+....It is a love/hate relationship. I just got the GPS app too and can't splurge on Garmin.....yet. I hope it works out for us and my darling daughter does love modifying my mini online for me.

Great post!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments guys!

I need a Garmin, I guess… but breaking up is hard to do!

LOL

Sara said...

Way to go on the weight loss! You look fabulous as always, my friend!

I did not have any luck with Nike+. I think I "tried" to use it once and gave up.

I house sat two summers ago for like a month and used what I got paid to buy a Garmin. So expensive, but I love it!

Like Mandy said, check out Costco! I heard you can always return in there and Costco will replace it.