Friday, January 20, 2012

7 reasons to stop hating the treadmill

at least I can watch the muscle heads at my gym
Ah, The good 'ol dreadmill treadmill.

Many of us have a hate-hate relationship with it.

Some more than others.  I myself have grown to tolerate the treadmill. I will admit that it's easier to deal with it when runs are 6 miles and under but I've used it to run up to 14.

Not everyone hates the treadmill. I mean powerhouse runners and bloggers like EMZ runs on one and even did her own 24 hour treadmill fundraiser on one!  Lesley from Racing It Off also often turns to tread work without mention of dread.  She clocks some serious miles on it too!

Today I woke up with a groan at the thought of hopping on the treadmill… So on the heels of yesterday's post about being positive I started to talk to myself about all the good things about the good 'ol tread.

So in honor of national treadmill day… (never heard of national  treadmill day? Well that's because I made it up…)

I'm listing ten seven (I couldn't come up with ten) reasons why we should stop hating the treadmill:

  1. Climate control. No ice, no rain, no snow, no heat wave, no cold weather gear, no coming home and waiting for your thighs to defrost or cursing the sunscreen that's sweated into your eyes… Just go time.
  2. Reality television. It's so much harder to watch an episode of the Jersey Shore running thru a park… well. unless your park is in the middle of Jersey (like mine) where you might sight a Snookie or two… 
  3. A handy dandy dash board.  No figuring out where to carry your Gu, hydration, music, towel, iPhone, uh. remote control for reason number 2 - treads have all kinds of cup holders to stash your crap.  And talking about crap...
  4. Potty perfect.  Gu hit your tummy hard? Too much pre-run hydrating? Running so hard you feel like puking? Never fear, a potty is near!
  5. No dogs, children or sidewalk cracks to trip you up.  On my run the other day thru the hood, I made the mistake of running by a middle school just as the tweens were getting out. Oh the horror. Weaving in and out of walls of kids with heads buried in their cool smart phones was a great time if you like running a 15 minute mile. Also, I'm good for catching every little bump in the road just at the right spot to trip. 
  6. Mindless Miles.  It's not to say they aren't worthy or important miles. Sometimes it's just a relief to run without thinking of anything. I can blast my music and truly tune out. When I'm running outside I'm on heightened alert for above mentioned dogs and sidewalk cracks, plus cars, bikers, predators and other things that can harm ya.  I like that I can completely zone out.
  7. Hill and speed control. Wanna run up hill - no need to go out and find one! That's so old school. Incline it up, baby!  Want to know what it feels like to run a 5 min. mile? - Set it to 12.0 and have at it. Good luck. Modern technology! I do like challenging myself to running faster and faster on the tread.
So what's your thoughts on our poor, often hated friend the treadmill? Love him or hate him? 

What's your favorite thing about the tread? Your least favorite?

XO
Jen



21 comments:

Becka said...

Almost all my runs are in the treadmill. I've run up to 26.2 on one. Honestly, I prefer it - for a lot of the reasons you mentioned. Outdoor running is scary :-/

the only girl here said...

Omigracious...I LOVE this post! I really REALLY need to improve my attitude towards the treadmill in our bedroom. Yes....I did say bedroom. We had to move it from the spare bedroom b/c that's where we will put our sweet baby girl when she cOmes home from china! Sooo...I love that it's in front of the TV and near a restroom. That's where the love stops. I can't run as fast or as far on the tm and I KNOW its on an incline....even though that little incline section says zero....I need to change my attitude :)

Unknown said...

Becka - I hear ya sista - it is scary out there! Impressive 26.2 on one! WOW you are my hero.

only girl, Congrats on your sweet little girl. My friend has been trying to adopt a little girl from China for years now and we're hoping this is her year too.

I hear you too! Treads can be boring and stagnant - but we have to self talk ourselves into embracing the tread!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I PREFER the treadmill! *GASP!!* Even though I bought a Garmin and can keep track of my distance and pace easily, I just can't picture myself opening up the door and hitting the ground running. So, I'll occasionally go to the track, where I don't have to contend with all of the things you mentioned. But that's REALLY fun, running in a circle! And then, add winter weather, and I'm REALLY not running outside. I mean, I'm guessing they don't plow the track after a snowstorm, right? Is it heated somehow??? lol

Unknown said...

I don't think you're alone, Fab -- there are days where I'm growing to GASP like it better than outside too - for the above mentioned reasons as well ;)

Suz and Allan said...

I enjoy being able to run on the treadmill when I'm working from home and waiting on someone to call me back. If they call I can hop off, take their call, and then hop back on. If the weather is nice I enjoy running outside if I can!

Frenchie said...

I am a weather wuss. If it's too cold or rainy out, I hit the treadmill. Not necessarily with a lot of enthusiasm, but I do it. I too have done up to 14 miles on it. I also use it for motivation. There are days when I just can't get up the enthusiasm to do my run. I know if I have a moving belt under my feet, then I will keep going. Good for you for looking for the positive side of it.

Frenchie said...

I am a weather wuss. If it's too cold or rainy out, I hit the treadmill. Not necessarily with a lot of enthusiasm, but I do it. I too have done up to 14 miles on it. I also use it for motivation. There are days when I just can't get up the enthusiasm to do my run. I know if I have a moving belt under my feet, then I will keep going. Good for you for looking for the positive side of it.

Aimee said...

Love your post. Hate the treadmill. Thanks for reminded me that there are good things about it :)

Mandy said...

I call it the dreadmill. It doesn't help that the one I have at home isn't the nicest of dreadmills (the incline doesn't work and I swear the speed is wrong).

Funny - we I started this whole running thing, the cold was so hard on my asthma that I did most of my runs on the dreadmill. It SAID I was doing a 14 minute mile. When I switched to outside and ran a 12 minute mile I was delighted, and never went back to the DM. :)

Stouty said...

i was scared of the treadmill until i started running on them with my wife last year... now they have become a part of my training due to the lack of hills in Kansas. i'm still loud and awkward on them... but whatever it takes to prepare for my ultra trail runs!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I do not mind them at all! My husband has my set up a little different. I have a monitor in front and I can watch HULU on it. I have tables set up with all that i need. I can stop and reset the treadmill and in that time i can pee, and use the stick or foam roller. I did all my training for my half last year on it. Don't mind it at all! Plus if you are just starting and you have one at home it's so easy to use and not feel self conscious about how you look!

The Skårtist said...

Oh my goodness. This post actually makes me WANT to run on a treadmill. Yes I know it's a balmy 70 degree perfect LA day, but you are so right. Outside I have to carry my own WATER!!! I love a good cup holder.

PLUS on a treadmill you know EXACTLY how far you have gone and if you don't have to worry about how far it is to get back : )

Jeannie said...

I've grown to love my TM for many of the same reasons especial #s 1, 4, and 7. It's also convenient for me to run early morning or late night when dark or during the day when kids can play inside while I run. :)

Emz said...

Man. I freaking love this!!
How am I soooo late to the party!!?! :(
I love this x 444!
Favorite---zone out time. No cars. No dogs.
Least---ha as if. Nada.

TurboTurtle said...

I have grown to love mine--like you said, you can put your favorite tunes on and zone out without fear of running into a car, through dog poop, or in front of a maniac! I still love my long runs with friends (the miles go by so fast when you're venting about your job, your kids, or the fight with dear hubby!), but now I am even more encouraged to try a long run on the 'mill! Thanks for the great post, Jen!

TriGirl said...

All valid points. Absolutely. And I will run on the mill but nothing beats being outside and actually having my feet take me somewhere...unless of course it's snowing, or raining really hard, or dark out :P

Erica Gorman said...

And when I do the gym treadmill, I can listen to my music all I want!

Lynette said...

I've always called it the dreadmill and avoided at all costs. HOWEVER, I have a time goal for my upcoming half and have been using the mill for speedwork and tempos. It has now upgraded to its real name, the treadmill. It's working for me, so now it is my friend. Totally agree with your reasons. I ditto every one of them.

Jason said...

Great reasons but I've got one that trumps them all as to why I use one on only the harshest of days: BORING

No houses to look at, no cars to dodge, no sun, no snow, no rain, no nothing......just a belt going around in circles.

As a matter of fact I would rather run 26.2 miles in a track than run 4 miles on a treadmill.......

Anonymous said...

My best-neighbor-friend-slash-best-running-friend lets me use her treadmill as often as I like. Which isn't very often at all. Yet there are those days where I am SO lazy, that I can actually convince myself that running on the mill won't be as grueling as running thru my hood. I know it makes no sense, but for some reason I can psyche myself into believing it... until mile six when I realize that the ol' machine ain't no joke. ;)