Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year 2012! Running streak day 1

Happy New Year friends!

There once was a time that New Year's eve meant drinking until i couldn't see.

It doesn't mean that anymore.  But don't think we didn't try.

We went to our friend's house for some appetizers and drinks but by 11PM we were calling it a night. Hubby wasn't feeling great and we figured we'd head home before the revelers hit the road.

at least we looked the part until 10:30 PM

Awesome friends and family

Even so, we still had a great time. New Years now means celebrating friends and family and we got to do that.

someone cut that crazy kid off 
It's actually kinda nice waking up refreshed and non-hung over to be honest.

I'm gearing up to do a mile run - I will be partaking in I <3 To Run - (at least) one mile a day running streak:


Only gonna do a mile today since technically yesterday and today were to be "rest days" and yesterday I ran 2 miles (after my 10 mile long run) and today I'm a little achey - so gonna go a slow mile and just enjoy the nice weather and the first day of 2012.

Ironically I'm on a 13 day run streak without even noticing it. Was looking over my running log yesterday and realized that everyday I've gone out and did some kind of running. It's funny how that happens.

Are you doing a running challenge this year?

What is your opinion about run streaks? 

Part of me thinks it's a cool challenge the other thinks you've gotta be careful that you don't get so wrapped up in the streak that you don't listen to your body if it truly needs a rest.

XO
Jen



10 comments:

Harold said...

I would put myself in the nay corner, IMHO they induce artificial pressures to run and not listen to when your body needs rest more than it needs running or is a safety factor - you just have to get the run in after all it is day 66 of a streak. You get the picture, out there on a Saturday night at 11:45 P.M. trying to get that mile in to keep the streak alive when it is foggy and freezing rain.

Eventually streaking tends to catch up with us, but hey a lot of people feel a lot differently than I do. It is up to the individual runner, not any one else whether they streak or not.

Harold

Unknown said...

Thanks, Harold - Even tho I'm giving this a go, I kinda have that feeling too - I'm going to try not to get too hung up on it and just see how it goes. Thanks for the comment!!

Unknown said...

Whatever gets people to put the sneakers on is cool with me. If a challenge like this keeps you accountable then go all in!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jeff -

We'll see how it goes. I think if peeps are smart about it and listen to their bodies it could be cool. I like the idea of moving everyday.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

They don't say how fast you have to do that mile so it could be a 15 minute mile. Snort. Which for me would be normal but for some that's like walking pace.
I know there is a runner who hasn't stopped like 2 years but I can't remember her blog name at this moment.

Anonymous said...

Moving every day is cool. I know I probably wouldn't get out every day. It's like a new year resolution for me - don't plan it if chances are good you won't do it. I don't like to set myself up to feel like I failed and I'd probably get wrapped up in it to a fault because it's a personal challenge.... But I enjoy following people that are doing it.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments BWMFA and Jen -

I just did my 1 mile today and while I was running it I gave some thought to the challenge. I think I'm going to aim to do something every day. That'll constitute my personal streak.

Since running is my primary form of moving - that'll probably be my first aim. However, if it's Jillian's 30 day shred or a few miles on a (newly inherited) exercise bike - then so be it.

Will see how that approach goes :)

Unknown said...

Happy New Year!! Your night was certainly rowdier than mine. I was dead asleep by 8pm!! ha party animal I am....
Best wishes with your run streak!! just be smart and listen to your body.
How about a promise to MOVE every day even if it is just a 1 mile walk???

Erica Gorman said...

Awesome Jen! I am glad to see someone with the same goal. We can go through the 1+ 2012 streak together!

Happy New Year!

Jason said...

Happy New Year to you.

I think you have to listen to your body for one, but I also think that recovery is the only way to get stronger so rest days are a must. Running can take a toll on your body so making sure to get enough and proper rest is very important.