Saturday, January 7, 2012

Streak? What streak?

Here I am with all this 'streak' speak the last few posts and yesterday I decided to break the streak.

I was in Atlantic City and having a good time. To be honest, there was really not good reason to not figure out the 'streak' mile other than, I just didn't feel like it. So I didn't make it a priority and I'm OK with that.
The fat lady has sung

Ironically, breaking the streak was the best thing that could've happened for today's run (or at least I'm choosing to believe unstreaking was the reason).  I had a long run of 8 -10 miles planned to day and hit the road. Holy gift-from-God the weather was perfect. I took my slightly over-dressed ass and started running.

It was one of those runs where it was absolutely effortless. The miles seem to fly by and I was in a comfortable groove. I was surprised to when Nike would tell me how fast I was going at the end of my miles but then I would realize that I was sweating and a little out of breath… Guess I was pushing harder than I thought but loving it.

Anyway…

Of course all can't be perfect in love and running and around 4.5 miles in I nicely rolled my left ankle.  Yippee-ki-Ay. Awesome.

There was too much going on - I was sucking down a GU (as I decided i was gonna go 10 miles) running down hill into the wind, and navigating a crazy busy car wash - cars coming in and out. I was looking up trying to make sure that I wasn't going to be crushed by a car which took my eyes off the pavement… I got foiled by a cracked sidewalk.  I barely lift my eyes off the road when I'm running around town because the sidewalks and pavement is just jacked up everywhere. It's like urban trail running.

not even close to as bad as it gets in my 'hood

Sigh.

But it felt OK enough so I ran home.

Funny, in the old days I would justify quitting a run/exercise because of some 'fake' pain and now with real pain, I find a way to justify running on it another four miles.

Loved today's run. Ankle rolling, carwash patron avoiding and all.

Average mile was something around 10:30 which is speedster McGee for me for a long run. (Sorry Jason, it's true.)

Came home iced, rested, elevated. It feels slightly sore but no swelling. I'm thinking it was more strained than sprained.

No streak means rest ankle tomorrow and get back on the road on Monday.

Oh. And in other news - I reached ONE WHOLE YEAR maintaining my weight loss of 90+ pounds! No flash in the pants here. No losing all that weight only to gain it back… Hell no, I'm no statistic. I'm keeping it off this time for good!

Yay.

XO
Jen

PS: Loving all the comments on the blog lately - keep 'em coming I so appreciate it and thank you!






9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My last streak I broke much like you did... one day, I just didn't feel like and it didn't really bother me. Funny how that works. Glad you had a decent run, but sorry about that, ugh, ankle roll... blech. Enjoy the rest!!!

Rose (Hacker Half Marathon) said...

Sounds like a crazy run... Great job on one year maintaining that amazing weight loss!!

Run with Jess said...

Aw, man - I hope your ankle is okay. I rolled mine pretty badly at thanksgiving & still feeling the effects! Congrats on the weight loss maintenence... that's tough!

Holly said...

I love that comment about how you used to use fake pain to get out of your workout. You can tell you are a new woman now. Congrats on maintaining your weight loss!

*~*~* Tracy said...

Congrats on maintaining your loss! That's excellent!

I'm glad the car wash/gu/sidewalk debacle didn't cause serious injury, and I hope your ankle is 100% soon.

misszippy said...

Congrats on your milestone! That's big stuff. And boo on the ankle roll. Hope it feels better quickly. And A.C. was surely worth breaking the streak. : )

Erica Gorman said...

I would have to say your weight loss streak is much more important that a running streak! You rock!

Mandy said...

Congrats on 1 whole year! That's fabulous!

Jason said...

HA HA HA! How did you know I had typed a lecture already and then had to delete it all? HA HA HA!

You are awesome. Keep up the great work as you inspire and motivate.

Hope the ankle is better.