Monday, September 3, 2012

The Perfect Body Part II: Today I wore the shorts

Today I wore the shorts.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about I wrote an entire post about how I bought these running shorts and have never worn them. I have this thing about my flabby, white legs and even in the hottest weather usually wind up in long boot cut, yoga pants. It's ridiculous.

the shorts
I'm sure there's a happy medium between short running shorts and yoga pants but whatever. The point was I was annoyed that after losing 100 pounds and running for 3 years, I still don't have the legs to rock these shorts.  If you feel like reading the post it's HERE.

Anyhow, in that post I vowed to be proud enough of my legs that has supported this journey and wear those damn shorts.

That was two months ago.

Today I figured, enough is enough. I'm gonna wear the shorts for my four miler.

I have to say that my decision to wear these was further challenged because as I mentioned in this post the other day, I'm up a few pounds. So in addition to the flabby white legs to worry about, these shorts gave me a little muffin top. OY. But now I was determined to wear them. So I wore my NJ half-marathon shirt that has a little room and pulled on my visor and decided to go.

they don't look too bad provided I don't move and pose
As soon as I started running, I felt super self-concience. The park was packed. The material was riding up and with every step I felt my fleshy thighs jiggling for the world to see… I felt very exposed and I was glad I decided to use body glide between my inner thighs because I'm pretty sure I might've chaffed if I hadn't…

But then, all of a sudden, I didn't care. I didn't care if no one else liked my flabby, over-exposed, white legs. I didn't notice anyone stop and stare. People didn't point in horror and moms didn't shield their children's eyes, thanks to my iPod I didn't hear any gasps. In fact, I think, no one gave a crap. 

And if they did, so what?

I did feel much cooler and every time I would look down to scowl at my legs, I would, instead, catch a glimpse of my NJ half-marathon tech shirt first and instead of thinking, "ugh my legs" I would think "EF it. I'm a runner and I run half marathons. I earned these damn shorts."

I also think that I ran just a wee bit faster wearing them - i kept thinking that the faster I moved the less of a glimpse people could get of my legs. haha.. what ever works - right?

Will I wear them again? I don't know. I think there are probably more flattering styles for my body and those legs could still use a tan but if all of my black yoga pants are in the wash, I might just rock those shorts again.

Have you overcome a 'clothing' phobia? I used to have this thing about my arms too -- but in the last few years I got over that one.

XO
Jen

PS: Pleeeeeeease support the From Fat To Finish Line Film if you can - your pledge will get you really cool stuff - you can score a DVD, training sessions, even some specially made bling! We are so far from the finish line if we don't raise our goal we get nothing, nada, zilch. Also check out the updated trailer while you are there. It's pretty cool. AND ONLY 10 DAYS LEFT! Oy.

If you can't afford to donate money - you can help just by helping us spread the word. Share on your FB page, tweet, blog about it… anything would be super appreciated. Takes a village to raise a running documentary! xo thank you.



Post a Comment