Monday, September 3, 2012

The Perfect Body Part II: Today I wore the shorts

Today I wore the shorts.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about I wrote an entire post about how I bought these running shorts and have never worn them. I have this thing about my flabby, white legs and even in the hottest weather usually wind up in long boot cut, yoga pants. It's ridiculous.

the shorts
I'm sure there's a happy medium between short running shorts and yoga pants but whatever. The point was I was annoyed that after losing 100 pounds and running for 3 years, I still don't have the legs to rock these shorts.  If you feel like reading the post it's HERE.

Anyhow, in that post I vowed to be proud enough of my legs that has supported this journey and wear those damn shorts.

That was two months ago.

Today I figured, enough is enough. I'm gonna wear the shorts for my four miler.

I have to say that my decision to wear these was further challenged because as I mentioned in this post the other day, I'm up a few pounds. So in addition to the flabby white legs to worry about, these shorts gave me a little muffin top. OY. But now I was determined to wear them. So I wore my NJ half-marathon shirt that has a little room and pulled on my visor and decided to go.

they don't look too bad provided I don't move and pose
As soon as I started running, I felt super self-concience. The park was packed. The material was riding up and with every step I felt my fleshy thighs jiggling for the world to see… I felt very exposed and I was glad I decided to use body glide between my inner thighs because I'm pretty sure I might've chaffed if I hadn't…

But then, all of a sudden, I didn't care. I didn't care if no one else liked my flabby, over-exposed, white legs. I didn't notice anyone stop and stare. People didn't point in horror and moms didn't shield their children's eyes, thanks to my iPod I didn't hear any gasps. In fact, I think, no one gave a crap. 

And if they did, so what?

I did feel much cooler and every time I would look down to scowl at my legs, I would, instead, catch a glimpse of my NJ half-marathon tech shirt first and instead of thinking, "ugh my legs" I would think "EF it. I'm a runner and I run half marathons. I earned these damn shorts."

I also think that I ran just a wee bit faster wearing them - i kept thinking that the faster I moved the less of a glimpse people could get of my legs. haha.. what ever works - right?

Will I wear them again? I don't know. I think there are probably more flattering styles for my body and those legs could still use a tan but if all of my black yoga pants are in the wash, I might just rock those shorts again.

Have you overcome a 'clothing' phobia? I used to have this thing about my arms too -- but in the last few years I got over that one.

XO
Jen

PS: Pleeeeeeease support the From Fat To Finish Line Film if you can - your pledge will get you really cool stuff - you can score a DVD, training sessions, even some specially made bling! We are so far from the finish line if we don't raise our goal we get nothing, nada, zilch. Also check out the updated trailer while you are there. It's pretty cool. AND ONLY 10 DAYS LEFT! Oy.

If you can't afford to donate money - you can help just by helping us spread the word. Share on your FB page, tweet, blog about it… anything would be super appreciated. Takes a village to raise a running documentary! xo thank you.



19 comments:

Unknown said...

Your shorts look great:) I have the same phobia but I let them hang and swing anyways. Congrats on rocking your shorts!

Su said...

Those shorts are awesome! And they look fab on you!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I have not purchased shorty shorts, but I wear a pair of C9 men's shorts all the time. Why Men's you ask? Because they actually have fucking pockets in them and I can carry my iPod and cell in them without sweating them up in my hands! YOU LOOK MAHVALOUS, BTW!!! And where are those "few pounds?" I don't see them!

Anonymous said...

You look great!! I used to feel like I couldn't wear certain shorts in public but since I started running I say who cares! These legs are being used.:-)
Brandi

Unknown said...

Thanks all but truth be told that pic only looks good because of the strategic way I'm standing - in motion I'm sure it's quite the different view ;-) but it's all good. I made it thru and glad I did.

Colleen said...

You look great in your shorts!!

Caroline said...

Good for you Jen and I think you look very good!

Jennifer K. said...

You look very cute! The truth is, we all think people are paying much more attention to us than the actually are. People are more wrapped up in themselves than in criticizing the fashion choices of random strangers (unless you're Stacy London or Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear). Running shorts are designed to be functional, not flattering. Go do your thing and don't worry about anyone else.

SkinnyMeg said...

I had the same phobia with shorts, I have the WORST legs ever. Seriously. I just said screw it, it's 100+ degrees here I am not wearing pants. I would shop around for different brands, some are more comfortable, I buy a size bigger than I need and it seems to help with the riding up :)

Gigi said...

I have the same issues super white, overly tattooed and lumpy legs. But I will wear running shorts (5 inch or longer only) if I am not running due to the ride up and chaffing. I will wear them with a pair of bike shorts under to avoid the chaffing but then I still have the ride up in my finish line photos BOO!

But with that said GOOD FOR YOU!!! I think it is great that by the end you didnt care!

Gigi said...

BTW - these are awesome!

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=84150&vid=1&pid=221059

Unknown said...

Thanks all!

Those shorts do look great Gigi - but boy they are $$ I got the ones I wore at TJ MAXX on clearance for $11 ;-) I guess maybe I'll treat myself sometime.

Anonymous said...

You look great! I have a pair of booty shorts I had this issue with. I've worn them two or three times now and still feel self-conscious but am getting less so. :)

Paulette said...

Your photo looks great - and yes, it doesn't matter what people think because you are a runner! I feel the same about shorts, very self conscious, and only started wearing them this summer when I found some that I LOVE. It took time (and body glide...) but now I even prefer shorts!

Laima said...

Way to go - they look great Runner!

Unknown said...

I will tell you that my favorite thing to run in is a skirt! It "hides" some of the chub and doesn't ride up. The best skirt I've found, by FAR, for running is the Brooks PR Mesh Skort because the shorts are longer and have that little silicone gripper hem. ♥

http://www.brooksrunning.com/PR-Mesh-Skort-II/220353404.020,default,pd.html?start=10&q=skort

Meister, Running While Smiling said...

I'm so glad you rocked the shorts! I thought of you yesterday actually, and your shorts, because I was debating with myself whether or not to wear just a sports bra on my run: I, too, am up a few pounds, and though I *mostly* don't care, I sure did talk myself into putting a shirt on.

But tomorrow? Tomorrow I think I'll follow your lead.

Jamie said...

Okay... um, I think you look GREAT in the shorts! And check out those calves... girl!

nikki said...

you look GREAT, jen the runner!!!! wear the shorts every time!!!!