Monday, August 20, 2012

Sweaty girl and a Handana review

It's time to pick up the pace.

I have been running enough to recognize a pattern in my running, I seem to lull in miles during the hot and humid months of July and August. My runs get reduced to generally 2 - 3 milers - in addition to the heat, I usually don't have a race on the schedule until late October.

Well. Time to kick it up. I did the math and realized that I'm only 10 weeks away from my next half so it's time to get my ass in gear.

Today I went to my fav. park and did 5 miles. Ah. Awesome. Of-course the Nike+ App tried to tell me that this run was a 6.2 mile run and I ran it with an average pace of 8:30 but, that is woefully, woefully inaccurate. Sigh. I wish. the good news, I kind of knew the distance because I have done this route before and Nike recently updated the app to be calibrated. So we are straight.

But even today was warm and I was sweating.

Unfortunately, I often get very strange and obscene sweat marks:

WTF? I just can't
Sigh. I guess it's a good thing I'm older and slightly just don't give a flying F anymore if people look at me funny. But I really wish I didn't get those little circles RIGHT ON MY BOOBS. It's annoying. Yet funny. I used to get mortified by everything and while I would die if I ran into Ben Affleck or my high school crush like this, I guess with the other sweaty folks in the park, I don't care too much. I guess. It helps that I don't usually notice this debacle until I'm back to my car. If I caught a glimpse mid run I might be way more self-concience. 

Last week was even worse. I ran in really bad heat and humidity and I just looked crazy. My pants looked like I had peed in them, my face was tomato red and my hair was frizzing out from under my running hat -- I'm sure I was a sight for sore eyes. I guess I'll never be one of those girls that looks like a supermodel when I run.

And yes I think you should give me brave points for posting this hot mess of a picture on the internet.

So while these aren't good looks in sweating… I'll tell you what is - The Handana.

She's rocking a Handana
The good folks at Handana dropped me a line to see if I'd like to check them out and I jumped at the chance. I always am carrying sweat rags with me and have even resorted to having those sweat bands that tennis players have on their wrists to help mop the sweat. But those things are so hot and bulky. I liked the sleekness and design of Handanda and according to Handana's website: 

Sweat. Snot. Handana handles it! 
Handana is a high performance athletic band designed to be worn on either hand. Handana just slips on like a glove with your thumb in the center hole.  Made of supplex Lycra, which is nylon made to feel like cotton, Handana wicks away the moisture and drys quicker than cotton.  Wash in cold with like colors, line dry, and Handana is ready for the next workout. 
Whatever it's made of, it's great. I loved the convenience and feel of it and definitely felt like a rockstar wearing it at the gym.

I am not the best photographer
but you get the picture
So if you're interested in learning more about Handana - check them out at their website or Facebook page!

Are you hot or a hot mess when you're running? Any embarrassing sweat experiences? Do you have to carry a sweat rag or something when you run?

XO
Jen

PS: Don't forget to check out the trailer (and possibly support) the documentary film I'm co-producing and directing that shares the same name as this blog: From Fat To Finish Line the film

PSS: Handana sent me their product to try but this review is entirely my opinion and that ugly sweat picture is really me. True story.

15 comments:

misszippy said...

The shirt is really funny! I will say that I pretty much always look like I peed my pants (shorts) in hot humid conditions. But I'm old and I don't care anymore either! (there are bonuses to getting older!)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I have sweat rags. The 5k at LIMA gave them out the last 2 years, so I now have 4, but I'll resort to wash cloths and Christmas hand towels if that's what's left! I really do sweat like a mo fo and I really recommend my haircut- no more fly-aways!!!

Unknown said...

Haha - Amanda - it's so true as I get older i really just don't care anymore.

LOL Linda… that is me with whatever little wash cloth/ christmas towel whatever I can find. I actually thought of you when I got this Handana thing because we talked about it when we ran NYC. You would like the Handana I think.

Shelley said...

OMG, I thought I was the only one who suffered from Sweaty Boob Syndrome. My most embarrassing moment was when I ran my first 10 mile race - I was so proud when I finished and gladly posed for pictures. Then I saw the two circles...ugh. Just to make you feel better, here's the link: http://www.myjourneytofit.com/2010/10/buffalo-stampede-10-mile-race-recap.html

Unknown said...

Shelley - #1 - loved the race review. #2 Loved, loved, loved your boob sweat pics!! LOL We are not alone! Thanks for your brave sharing as well ;)

Katie said...

The sweat pic is funny. Isn't it great how, the older you get, you just don't give a fuck what people think?!

Case in point: at my race last weekend, it was cold and rainy, and my nips were pretty perky. Everyone was staring at my chest! Bad choice of shirt, but I was comfy ;-)

SkinnyMeg said...

I sweat like a dude when I workout and learned NEVER EVER EVER wear light grey workout pants. You WILL have butt sweat showing :)

Unknown said...

Haha Katie - Megan, GOOD advice! ;-)

Unknown said...

Jen i always look like i have peed my pant after a run and my face looks so red that you would think i had a chemical peel and then sat in an Oven. I must say good job on the post of the sweaty boobs i dont know if i could be that brave but then again looking at it it looks more like a smiley face saying i dare you to say something???

Unknown said...

ha! Roxy, I totally thought it looked like a smiley face too!! Love this: "my face looks so red that you would think i had a chemical peel and then sat in an oven." Yeah. Me too!

Jamie @ Running Toward Healthy said...

I always have to bring a hand towel because I sweat so much at the gym. How much sweat do you think that Handana would hold? Because I have a lot! :)

Unknown said...

Jaimie, I brought Handana instead of a towel and it did the job (I sweat a lot too) by the end of an hour workout it was pretty much at limit. I think if I was working out any longer I could use a second. I might order a second - one for each hand!

Laura said...

Does the Handana provide cushioning, to replace a weight lifting glove? I don't think I'd wear one for cardio, but it looks a lot cuter than my standard issue ugly black lifting gloves.

Amber Sosa said...

Thanks for this post! I will never be a "pretty" runner but oh well!

".. pants looked like I had peed in them, my face was tomato red and my hair was frizzing out"

It is like you just saw me after my last run! Very excited about checking out the Handana!

j.love said...

So funny - I sweat a LOT and had been wearing a wrist sweat band pulled down around my hand/thumb to better wipe sweat off my brow, and thought, "I need to invent something like this..."
Someone beat me to it! I'm off to buy a Handana...