Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The agony of defeat... (and da-ankle)

Still not running, and the ankle is still bothering me a bit.  I'm planning on giving it a 3 mile run this Friday and see how I feel after. I honestly don't care about the pain so much as long as it's not getting furthered injured - but I don't know, does pain automatically mean something is wrong?

I've done the stationary bike a few times but I find that to be the most boring thing on the planet - it makes the treadmill look like a roller coaster ride of thrills in comparison. Holy boring. If my weight loss depended on an exercise bike, I'd be in trouble, but, I'm hanging in there.

I feel how this lady looks.
On a side note about the marathon training. I'm freaking out. I really am. I am SUPER confused with what I should effing be doing to catch up. I was behind in miles because of the winter from hell prior to injury - Now, I feel like I'm no where near where I should be at this point. My plan was to follow the NIKE+ training program to a perfect T and then go to the marathon comfortably knowing that the work was done, the miles run, and have nothing to worry about. I thrive off following "the plan" and knowing that I'm prepared. I feel like I'm heading into a final exam without having read the book.

I have no idea how to approach the next few months - do I just pick up where I left off and come in short or do I try to jump in 3 weeks later and suck up the leap in miles?  I've missed, a few 16 mile long runs at this point and this weeks long run is supposed to be 18 miles!  So what do I do? My longest "long run" has been 14 miles and that HURT…  Do I jump right back in (as if with still nursing a sprained ankle and running18 miles or 8 miles, for that matter, is even possible)  - I think going for 18 miles anytime soon might not happen.  I feel so behind. I really need guidance about if it's even possible to get back on track here. I'm very confused.  Help?

The back up solution is dropping to run the half. I'm not all jazzed about that option but I might have to go that way if I can't figure this out.

XO

Jen

14 comments:

Kerrie said...

I'd take a look at Jeff Galloway's training program. I overtrained last year and hurt myself four weeks from my first big mary. So, this time I'm taking things slowly. Run/walk, which I JG's philosophy. Last year, my pod. told me if pain/soreness does not go away after a 2-3 days rest, that that's not good. Not sure if he just meant for shin fractures or if that goes for other things, as well.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kerrie - I will look into that - I've heard of his program but don't know much about it.

Michael said...

Wow that's a tough decision to make. I can give some advice - but my disclaimer is that I have never completed a marathon - only halfs. The general rule of thumb is not to increase your mileage more than 10% a week, so if you jump in where you left off you will probably be running more miles than your body can handle yet and might reinjure yourself. However, it still seems like you have quite a bit of time left before your marathon, so you might look at some other marathon training plans and see if you can come with a new plan. Good luck!

Unknown said...

Thanks very much Michael. I am worried about jumping up too much too. I've gotta figure this out somehow.

Jason said...

Jen - I would not jump right in as if you were not hurt. That is asking to get hurt again. Take a step back and build back up. You will be fine because you already have a base. Life happens and you can't concernt yourself with not following that program to a T.

Get out there and see how far you can go before making a determination to do 8 or 10 or 12. Don't jump more than 10% from your base and start from there.

Unknown said...

Thanks, we'll see how the run goes on Friday and take it from there. I walked on the treadmill today for 20 minutes and then it started to bother a bit so I backed off. I tried to jog lightly for a minute and that was a little iffy so I backed off but right now it feels pretty good so I'm optimistic.

Unknown said...

Maybe you should go to the doctor Jen. Make sure it's just a soft tissue injury.

Unknown said...

I don't think I need a doc - I've sprained before worse. it feels like it's getting a little better but if it gets worse, maybe I'll go.

The Skårtist said...

I have to preface this with the fact that I have never run more than 5 miles. But I would agree with most who said not to skip ahead in the plan. I would see where you are and how you feel a few weeks before the marathon, there is no shame to dropping to a half then. A Marathon is no joke. I would still be impressed by a half (especially if you still wear the tutu!)

Unknown said...

:) Thanks Sara, I promise not to do anything stupid (including wearing a tutu!)

Anonymous said...

Jen - I can help you write a plan. If interested, we'll talk when I get home from Disney. ;-)

Unknown said...

Have a great trip at Disney and I WOULD LOVE THAT!! Tremendous!

Megan said...

New follower here! Congrats on your weight loss and half marathons! I feel your pain with the ankle issues. I'm sitting here right now with mine wrapped.

Unknown said...

Welcome Megan! Glad to meet you. I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle :( hope you heal soon.