Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Whatcha want? Aiming for less than 1%

Tara from Biggest Loser Season 7 - 26.2 finish
I was watching The Biggest Loser last night and the remaining four got to run a marathon. They had nearly no real training time and anyone who's been down the road of having to get marathon ready can appreciate the scratching of the head of how on earth are these people preparing to run 26.2 in just 30 days? It's probably even a little reckless that the audience isn't warned to "not try this at home." 

Who knows? I have to hope and assume that they've got some kind of really smart sport trainers that are getting these folks there and that the months of intense training (though not traditional running training) leading up to the marathon has enabled these folks to run without injury. 

As debatable as the training / TV show thing is, the one thing I do take away from these contestants is how much each of these contestants wanted it. Every single one of them wanted to finish that marathon no matter what. They were scared, nervous and apprehensive but they all made up their minds to run it/walk it/crawl it - if need be. And they all succeeded.

Months ago, I wrote a blog about want vs can't and that theme still comes up for me, often. WE CAN do anything, the question is do we want to? Do we want to bundle up and run in the wind and cold? Do we want to do long run day when you also have a ton of Christmas shopping to do? Do we want to run 2 miles, 6 miles, 12 miles or 26.2 miles?  

Do we want to re-evaluate, face our weaknesses, deal with our fears, suck it up and do it anyway?

The answer for me is often, maybe surprisingly, NO. I often do not want to run in the wind or do a long run day. When the weather is bad, I don't "want" to run on a treadmill. I often "want" to sleep late, chuck it all or eat pancakes and sausage. I want to order pizza and watch reruns of 90210 (the original).

I constantly have to talk myself into want. Wanting to do this, still takes a lot of mental work but that mental work is crucial.  If you tell yourself you can or can't, want or want not - you are right.  

I WANT to feel like a winner, I WANT to attain and maintain good health, I WANT to attain and maintain my ideal weight, I WANT to cross that finish line... Because I have all those wants, I choose to keep in the fight because I can.

I always have to remind myself to not lose sight of the big want for the temporary temptation. Whether it be skipping training or eating something bad - that "want" may feel good in the moment but will do nothing for me or the most important goals.  They do nothing for what I really want.

When the host of the Biggest Loser welcomed the four contestants to the starting line of the marathon, she mentioned, "Less than 1% off the American population will ever run and complete a full marathon." WOW! I think somedays I lose sight of how special of a journey this is because I've surrounded myself with so many blogging buddies who are running marathons that it seems almost like "everyone is doing it." But everyone is not doing it.  I am doing it - because I WANT to and I CAN and... 

I WANT to be in that less than 1% club.

Today I ran 6 miles that I kinda didn't want to do but am now so happy I did. I'm also working on wanting to do a long run of 12 miles this Friday. I might as well start looking forward to it, because either way, it's happening.

XO

Jen




11 comments:

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

hahaha! I WANT, I WANT, I WANT! - This is how I sound when shopping! ;p

Anonymous said...

I choose to run. Sometimes I want to... sometimes, I'd really rather crawl in bed (and almost always I'd rather order pizza). Running is definitely a choice... but a good one! Keep on choosing right!!!

Jason said...

As I told a friend of mine greatness has never been achieved without desire. GOTTA HAVE THE WANT TO.

It is not easy, but nothing in life is.

Yesterday I had a lot on my mind as I was driving to the pool. I got in and said to myself to just do the warm-up and go home. Then I thought about a conversation I had with my coach this summer. I was doing a 1 mile time trial, then a 5 minute cool down followed by a 1.5 mile time trial. I got about 1 mile into the 2nd time trial and QUIT. Flat out QUIT and had every excuse....hot, humid, tired, out of breathe, etc.

I told her I should not have quit and should have walked if need be and she said: YOU NEVER QUIT. From that day I have not quit and when I finished that pool swim I felt like a $1M.

Even during the swim I said to myself this pool swim is going to lead to the best day ever and the rest of my life starts when I finish these 2650y of swimming.

GOTTA HAVE THE WANT TO!!!!!

Unknown said...

@Lesley - thanks - and yes pizza will always be on a want list. Check.

@Jason -Yes you do have to have the want to but sometimes, that WANT takes WORK. I think it's a common mistake to think "want" will always come easy and I think that's what sets people apart and what stops people in their tracks - they limit themselves in the immediate rather than push thru the uncomfortableness that what it takes to get to their big "wants".

You want to run a marathon? Then there will be a lot of moments where I will have to muster up the oomph to go out and train, work thru the cold, deal with being busy, tired, cranky, etc because somedays I'll want to do anything but what I need to, to get to my goals.

I agree with the "never quit" thing. And that often gets me out the door. I don't have to be perfect, I don't have to have the greatest training ever - I just cannot quit - so get thru it however you have to but no quitting.

Unknown said...

AMEN! It's about heart :P great post Jen. You WILL be in the 1%

Love the comment Jason

Unknown said...

Thanks Jen! I will be the 1% and you tri guys are probably in a .005% -- I want that someday too ;)

Sara said...

Awesome, Jen! You are my inspiration! I LOVE THIS POST!!! You are so spot-on. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! When is your marathon again? I think I'm a slacker compared to you! I need to get my butt into gear ASAP!!

financecupcake said...

Love it! My mom is a huge fan of Biggest Loser, and she shared the < 1% stat with me. WOW! That is pretty cool, isn't it?

Want, want, want... Girl, this is all about DELAYED GRATIFICATION. As someone who used to be all about instant gratification, I totally know what you mean. What gets my butt out of bed in the morning is thinking a few hours ahead. When I look back at my morning, would I feel better knowing that I slept or that I ran? Easy answer! Plus, how great do you feel after a run?

Runner's World has a nice thing on patience here: http://rwdaily.runnersworld.com/2010/12/all-we-need-is-just-a-little-patience.html

Unknown said...

Thanks for the nice comments. Sara - my marathon in June 5th but the program ends May 21st (I started it slightly early to give myself wiggle room if illness or something comes up)

Christina, I do love that stat! And when I'm running and need a pep talk I'll often remind myself, "if it were easy, everyone would do it."

Thanks for the link to the article!

Unknown said...

I thought of you when I was watching that episode at 4:00 am while I packed for my trip. I have to say that Ada inspired me (and she kicked ass!) As for the training thing, you can't forget that these people have been "training" for a living (essentially 8 hours a day in the gym for 3 months) with Bob and Jillian.

Your blog gets better and better. I "want" to do it just to cross that finish line with you. It will be such an honor.

Unknown said...

Awwww -- XO I loved Ada and you're right about all that training. I'm so happy that we'll be doing this together!