Thursday, December 23, 2010

Long run breakfast and tasty "hungry" day healthy dinner

When I was overweight, one of my favorite foods on earth were pancakes. But with little nutrient benefit and calorically high, it was one of the foods I've pretty much eliminated from my diet.

I developed this recipe for when I'm craving pancakes and I love it. I eat this on long run days because it really keeps me satisfied for a long time. They are low in fat, and have protein and carbs to keep you going. I serve with some fruit on the side.

For you weight watcher folks, they come in at around 6 points.



1/2 cup of quick oats (I pulverize mine in the magic bullet to make into an oatmeal flour)
1 egg
pinch of salt
1/2 packet of splenda (or your choice of sweetner)
a splash of any milk (maybe around 1/4 cup) I use lite vanilla flavored almond milk.
a pinch of baking powder

Combine ingredients and pour into a non-stick pan sprayed with a little pam. flip when the edges start to dry out.  Top as desired. I like them dry with fruit. For ease, I make one big pancake (a little smaller than a salad plate) or you can make two smaller pancakes. If you don't mind a lumpy pancake you don't have to "magic bullet" your oatmeal but I find them much better.

My favorite "I'm starving" dinner:


When I'm craving something hearty but relatively easy to make and healthy - I make this super easy turkey chili and serve over brown rice. Brown rice is easier than you think to make - I looooove this recipe:

Preheat oven to 375

1 baking dish
1 cup of brown rice
2 cups of hot water
1 tsp of olive oil
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients, cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven for about an hour. Voila, perfect brown rice. It make a few servings so I usually store the rest in the fridge or it freezes well too.

Over the rice - EASY turkey chili, I like this recipe because I usually have all these ingredients on hand.
2 tsp. olive oil
1 onion sliced
1 garlic clove chopped
1lb of lean ground turkey
1 can of kidney or black beans (drained)
1 jar of salsa (I like the black bean and corn salsa for this - but any will work)
hot sauce, salt, pepper other "chili" type seasonings to taste

Sautee onion and garlic for a few minutes the olive oil add ground turkey and brown. Add beans, salsa and seasonings and let it all simmer for around 15 minutes (or as long as you want.)

My serving size is 1/2 cup of rice topped with 1 cup of chili - comes to about 8 WW Power points.
I top with a sprinkle of low fat cheese, a dallop of low fat sour cream and a few hot jalepenos.

There's usually a lot of chili left and I freeze for another week - for a really easy future meal!

What's your fav. "I'm starving" meal?

XO
Jen

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

umm when i'm starving i usually go for pb&j because i'm too lazy to do anything else ;) i definitely have lots of easy recipes (because i am so lazy when it comes to cooking) but there's something really satisfying about pb&j. it hits the spot

Caroline said...

cereals I guess...very boring!!

Jason said...

Sounds so good....but I have moved to a more plant based diet and so the turkey is out. Replace that with soy veggie and you got yourself a hit.

Also, on the pancakes I made some last night for dinner and mine are so filled with stuff that after 2 small ones you don't eat for hours on end. I will forward recipe if you want.

Azrhiaz said...

Gosh, cereal is great but that mindless crunching is like crack to me. More please! :D

I typically go for either eggs and toast (Sara Lee Delightful bread is like a total staple in my diet 45 cal a slice) or I do a 3.5-4 oz turkey burkey on 2 slices of bread with tomato and a wedge of Laughing Cow light cheese. That usually weighs in around 300 calories.

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

Mine is brown rice. Any entree as long as it's with brown rice. LOL!

woah I've never made pancakes from scratch. I can't believe I just admitted that ;p

Anonymous said...

eggs, yum. I eat a lot of eggs. When I make pancakes, I replace half the flour with whole wheat.

Jason, e-mail me that pancake recipe too, please!

Sara said...

Your turkey chili is about to become my new favorite recipe - sounds great! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Jen! I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Unknown said...

thanks everyone for the comments! Merry Christmas to all :)