Friday, December 3, 2010

Long run day musings

I have this thing about long run days - part of me really looks forward to them, it's always a challenge to rise to and I always feel amazingly accomplished when I'm done. It is still fairly new for me to be able to run for any sustained time without stopping. I mean, lets remember a year ago at this time, the only running I was doing was to my car, if it was raining, to get holiday gifts. And in said car, was the only way I was traveling 10 miles anyplace, so - there you have it.

Every long run I do is a mini victory, it's a feat I carry in my pocket proudly and I look forward to that dose of "good for me" every week.

On the flip side, there's a small part of me that finds the long run, well, freakin' long... and by the way, thanks to the fact that eventually I'll have to run 26 miles, it's just going to get longer. I have to carve out a minimum of 2 hours for the long run (soon to get longer) and that takes sacrifice and work. I am a partner in a media business that my partner Angela and I have been building that requires full time attention (though, thankfully with a partner who is also a runner, she supports the running thing...), a part time (paid) blogging gig that requires me to do a lot of writing and a toddler that rambles in at 3pm... not to mention all the other stuff that goes along with being a mom and wife... Sorry the laundry hasn't been done, dear. Long run day. OOOPS.

Oh well, it is what it is - Finding balance. I make it a priority because ultimately it's a meaningful journey (and this running blog would be pretty lame if I didn't have any running to talk about.)

Long run days also scare me - looking ahead to next Friday where I'll be jumping to (gulp) 12 miles... oofa.

As we approach this weekend, I have a bunch of friends racing this weekend that I'm very excited about!

Julie and Angela (partner, and one of my BFF's) are running RNR Vegas! - Julie is full, Ang is half!
Natalie, Lesley and Jason are running White Rock in Dallas! Jason is going to set his PR this weekend, I'm so thrilled for him!

My virtual sign for you guys... It cracked me up - hope you like it :)

And I'm running to a baby shower but will be thinking of all my marathoning friends and wishing I was in Vegas/Dallas with big awesome signs, cheering you all on... Because you guys are showing me what the long run day is really all about!

XOXO

9 comments:

reluctantmomma said...

Awesome!! I love the long runs too - even though my long runs arent' that long YET...

I am running a 10K this weekend - in NYC - I'm really nervous...not sure why...guess it's just because it's my first race beyond a 5k -

anyway - RUN JEN RUN!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

I wish you were in Vegas too, Jen! I would need you to hold up this Ralph Macchio banner on Mile 20! Hehehe!

You're too sweet! Maybe we can plan a marathon together with Jason and Karen next year? It could be full or half. At least we're together! =)

financecupcake said...

Long runs rock! If you're having that much trouble working a long run into your day, you can try getting up a little earlier and running before your family wakes. All of my runs are early runs, and they don't throw off my day in any way. Good luck! :)

Jason said...

LOL....love this and kinda hate it at the same time b/c now the song is in my head and will never leave....you're the best around....nothings gonna ever keep you down.

Ahhhh....The Karate Kid.....Larusso's gonna fight? LARUSSO'S GONNA FIGHT!!!!.

Now I may have to find that movie and pay for it on demand.


Long Runs days are not fun now but when you get to those longer runs you will look back at your base and think to yourself....I GOT THIS!!!!

keep going and keep smiling.

Unknown said...

@erobell -- Good luck this weekend! 10k is nothing to sneeze over - awesome!!

@Julie -- I think Lesley tossing around San Diego in June -- that's super close to you ;)

@Christine - it's tough to get up earlier - my son is an early bird 5:30 /6 and then I have to get him off to preschool by 7:30 so we're busy around here and running at 4:00 am -- prob not happenin'! LOL but never say never :)

Jason -I love that old school Karate Kid -- that song is so funny, I might download it for long run day! :) If you need any extra motivation on race day (which you won't because you're a machine!) Think of little LaRusso...

Molly said...

It's definitely all about balance, but it's totally worth it!

Now I have that Karate Kid song in my brain... : )

Unknown said...

lol Molly ;) if it's any consolation, big mistake on my part because it's stuck in my head too.

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's my first marathon, which means I'm totally going to PR too!!!!!!! LOL!!! That's the fun thing about new distances.

And I totally hear ya on long runs, especially for slower runners, like me... I mean my long runs are sometimes 4 hours... that's insane!!!

Unknown said...

Yay - Lesley -- You go for your PR!! I know I'm a slower runner too - once my long runs hit those insane miles, its gonna be quite a few hours for me too.