Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas, long run and being a runner

Well hello blog friends, I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas.

Things were nice here. I got my Under Armour (Yippee!) but I kind of hate how the pants fit (booo!) I'm going back to Sports Authority for a different cut or size... once I get out from under the mounds of snow that dumped on us. (Sadly, no run today but I did shovel a lot of snow that I'm counting as a cross training thing...)

Christmas Eve I awoke with a nasty head cold, a stressed out husband, a hyper toddler and a shit-load lot of stuff to do and the prospect of going for a long run sounded close to impossible but then I thought to myself, WWJD (that's right - what would Jason do) and I promptly got dressed for my long run. Runny nose, scratchy throat and weary glare from my husband and all.  I did it. 10 miles. An hour and fifty odd minutes of running... But here's what was tough about those 10 miles - not the guilt of leaving my overwhelmed hubby or the throbbing sinus headache, or even my frozen thighs or sweat soaked (shame on me, cotton tee shirt) - what bothered me was that I had to be the slowest runner in the park. I mean who would you expect to be in the park at 7AM, Christmas Eve morning at 28 degrees? Not slackers and joggers but serious athlete types - I ran with as much dignity as I could muster as lanky hardcore runners in tights flew by me and my lousy 11:50 something pace like I was standing still. The first few were fine but after a while I started to feel demoralized, like, even though I was doing something that was totally "athletic" like - running 10 miles while most were still snuggled in bed and with a nasty cold no less, I felt like a fraud runner who was once again the kid picked last in gym. I tried to pep talk myself, "I'm running ten miles!" "I'm 38, formerly massively overweight, never ran before 10 months ago in my life!" I told myself to stop comparing myself to 20 year olds who probably were running track since they could walk. The pep talk helped a little, but I was still bummed by being so slow and so outrun by everyone on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my accomplishments even if I have a hard time accepting my limitations sometimes. My husbands attempt of trying to make me feel better didn't help, "Well, you're not a real runner, or an athlete... these people are "real" runners." OUCH. He's a non-runner. How do you explain to someone that once you start running like this, that all you are is a runner. How saying "You're not a real runner" is like the worst thing you could say. Ahhhh. I tried. Never mind.

It's OK, I know I'm a runner. I know it down to my toes. I got up and did an easy 3 miles on Christmas too - because I wanted to.  I even know that I might have more athlete in me. If I had more money, time and resources, I would be signing up for a tri now I know I would be... While right now is not the time, that's in my future.

I'm reading Dean Karnazes's book, Ultra Marathon Man (I actually met with him back in 2005 for a show development thing in a past job- long before running and before I knew him as a rockstar / running God.  Damn. If I'd only had that meeting now!) Oh well, anyhow, he gave me a copy of his book when we met and I dug it out of my old box of stuff and started reading it. It's an awesome book of inspiration - he talks a lot about running beyond physical and running with heart. Digging deep and never giving up.

I know I'm a runner because of that passion and heart. Running helps me to set goals, teaches me to dig deep, believe in myself and finish what I start. Sometimes you soar across a finish line, sometimes you crawl but get there and never give up. The desire to finish strong, the desire to take on the next big race and the ability to push ourselves beyond what we ever thought possible is what sets us apart from others. So I guess, though I might be the slowest kid in the park, at least I'm a kid who showed up at the park and will always finish the run, any run, one mile at a time.

XO
Jen

11 comments:

Jason said...

Ahhhhh.....the slowest kid in the park is still faster then the fastest couch potatoe sitting at home reading about how to run.

You are on the right path and while you may deem your pace to be slow you have to know that you will get faster with each step that you take.

It's a long road and as long as you don't set a finish line to it (life that is) you will keep going and running and continuing to get better.

Like life, running is ever changing and challenging but you now have the mental capacity to tackle it regardless of how easy or hard it is.

reluctantmomma said...

I am stuck in a TERRIBLE rut right now and I think that reading about your amazing follow through might be jsut what I need to get my A$$ off the couch and onto the treadmill!!

You might thingk you are the slowest kid in the park but you are a ROCK star to me!

reluctantmomma said...

ps - the UA pants fit REALLY weird - low rise in the front - and major "camel toe" issues....sorry if that is TMI -

I was going to take mine back too but then I had to power through b/c I was running my 10K in NYC and it was FREEEEEEZING...so...

Now I am used to it...

good luck on a new fit!! Let me know if you have luck finding something you like better:)

Unknown said...

Thanks to you both, appreciate the nods of encouragement and support - Thanks Erin for the rock star comment, made me feel much better and I promise next time I see some tight-clad, elite runners a$$ zip by, I'll remember YOUR words and keep going :)

PS- yeah, call me a mom but I hate the ultra low rise that's super uncomfortable to me and makes my belly feel fat. me no like. I've read really good things about the Nike cold weather running pants so I'm going to perhaps try those.

Anonymous said...

Butt kick: Stop putting yourself down and looking to others for reassurance and to define yourself. Your husband didn't say what you wanted to hear, but you blogged the truth (you ARE a runner) here for us to read. With weight loss and fitness gain comes a great identity change. Own it.

Great run!!! :)

Unknown said...

Yes Christina, you are right - it was a great run and I'm proud of it. I'm even OK with what hubby said, it's annoying but he doesn't know. He doesn't understand. Maybe someday he will, or he won't. But it's OK because I know it.

Yes, I have to stop sweating the dumb. And I try. It's what keeps me from giving up. It'll always be a battle to shut the bitches in my head up but I'm happy to say, they speak up less and less and they are starting to mean less and less to me... The competitive streak in me will always make it just a bit annoying that I'm the slowest on the block but the fighter in me will keep me believing that one day, I will no longer wear that title...

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

You are certainly a runner - 10 miles is awesome! I have read Dean's book too and it's great.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jeff - I loved your 2010 video by the way!

Anonymous said...

You're definitely a runner... and I guarantee even those faster runners were focusing on their own bodies and pains. We all have different limits (although, thankfully, those limits can change as we train). I run on a very populated lake (same as Jason), and many times I have passed 14 min/mile runners... and the only thing that might cross my mind is "good for them getting out here". In fact, I get more emotional over slow runners (and I include myself there)... because while super-speedy can get around the lake in an hour, I'm going to struggle for an hour and 40 minutes. The durations of time we push our body for are just phenomenal. You're doing awesome. San Diego is going to rock, and I can't wait to be there with you! (And yes, the Nike winter pants ROCK, even for mommy belly - which is my biggest problem.)

Unknown said...

Thank you, thank you for those kind words Lesley! I'm so excited for San Diego :) too and thanks for the Nike review - I think I'm going to like them better too.

Sara said...

You're a runner in my book and a huge inspiration to me!! I hope you have a wonderfully happy and safe New Year!!!! ;)