Monday, December 13, 2010

OMFG What if?

OK, so I did that long run day last Friday and since then, I've been mentally struggling. It was cold that day and my thighs took a few days to thaw out. I was super proud of that run but it wasn't easy. Not mentally or physically.

Which made me go check out the upcoming weeks of training- this week I go from 4 training days to 5 and it looks like this:

6mi (done today), 3 mi, 6mi, rest, 2mi, 13mi...  The week after that (Christmas) I'm scheduled to run on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day... Later, I'm running 14 miles on New Years Day, etc...

All of the sudden, I got dizzy. All these miles, all these "what ifs" what if it's snowing, what if I can't find the time to run 14 miles, what if my husband gets ticked that I have to figure a way to long run on Christmas? What if I have to do a long run on a treadmill? What if, what if, what if.  Some of them are imagined and some are real. 14 miles? 18 miles? What if I can't do it?

The last few days I've begun to question this journey. "Why couldn't I have stuck to half marathons? Why do I have to be so public about everything - now there's no turning back. UGH. Why did I already pay the entry fee?" These are the voices I've been fighting in my head.

Today I ran six miles. I feel good that I did but you would've thought I was running 100 miles with how hard the motivation was for me to find today. I actually went to the gym because it's kind of crappy out. I ran for 3 miles on the treadmill and was losing steam - I literally jumped off at mile 3 and took it to the street for the last 3.  That was a good move and I didn't give up. I don't give up. Very proud of that last 3 miles because the old me would've quit and went home, the new me works thru these moments.

I guess the biggest what if for me is, "What if I fail?" The ugly voices nag, "What if you can't?" 

I'm sure there's a hundred psychological reasons why I'm going thru this and probably a few physical ones too. Fear, doubt, laziness, habit. Who knows?

But in reflecting on this lull in motivation I've come up with some things to grow on:

1. I will stop looking ahead to what's to come in training and like any good recovery/self help member - take things "one day at a time" and "one mile at a time."

2. I am an athlete. And as such, some days, I will find training the best thing on earth and somedays I'm going to have to get out there, suck it up and just do it.

3. I don't quit. And this is my journey - thru these tough times is where you learn what you're made of. It's easy to do things when everything is clicking - the sun is shining, it's a perfect 60 degrees, all of your power songs are charged and there's nothing else to do but run. But that's not always reality. Real winners persevere when the going gets tough - anyone can do anything when it's all sunshine and rainbows. Winners did deep and find the motivation to go no matter what obstacles come their way.

4. I've never regretted a day of running - not ever. I know that this is something I will do forever - I don't want to go back to a goal-less, unmotivated, overweight, unhappy, non-blogging person. I love this new life but like anything in life worth having, takes effort.

Jason wrote this great blog today (thank you - helped get me out there) and spoke about a cool book that I need to pick up. In this book, the author speaks about stotanism:
"The definition, according to Mr  Burfoot, is that stotanism is about toughness, though it doesn't imply an insensitive, superman approach.  The stotan must be willing to stand on his own, to resist pain, to stick to his ideals.  A stotan is quietly self-sufficient.  He accepts the challenges of training, injuries, races, and disappointments without complaining, because he understands that simply by keeping on, by sticking to the path he has chosen, he will get stronger and better."
Needless to say with all the whining, my blog is the anti-stotan today but this idea has stuck with me and I take away the part that says, "simply by keeping on, by sticking to the path he has chosen, he will get stronger and better."

So for now I'm aiming for half the definition. I have faith and belief in that I will get better and stronger by sticking to the path.

I mean, seriously, what if?  What if I succeed? What if I get through this whole winter of training - dreadmills, snow and all? What if I dare to be my best? What if I run 26.2 miles? Who knows... but I can only get "better and stronger" for the effort.

XO

Jen

PS: Do you ever feel like this? How do you get your groove back?

18 comments:

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

you ARE a Stotan!

I keep my eye on the prize Jen. Just think of my marathon finish photo. Think that will be YOU very SOON!!!! I am very excited for you and I'm rooting for ya! Wait, let me get my pom-poms.... ;p

Unknown said...

XO thank you Julie -- I think I might print that picture actually - it's worth a MILLION words.

Jason said...

It is happening to me right now. I have a double work-out today. Normally I go right from one to the next, but today I wanted to come home after my run to see my wife leave for work. Now I do all my things and think about when am I going to the gym to swim and get back home in time to make dinner.

Well I laid out a plan and I'm sticking to it. I will be happy when I am done with the workout and I also think about how happy I was when I finished my workout this morning. On top of the world. Read my FB status about it.

So I do a lot of self-reflection. What is important? What can I let slide? Once I have those answers it becomes easier.

Now, let me tell you this. You fight and struggle and push and your reward is that you will be inducted into a very small hall of fame....a marathoner. Not many people can say that.

In addition to that, when you begin training for the next one it will be easier b/c you will have the experience....and there will be more....trust me.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Jason -- I will be a marathoner... And you will be (as said in mechanical voice) An Ironman. :)

Caroline said...

The unknown is scary..it is normal...sometimes I lay in bed thinking about my first half and I wonder what got into me to think I could do this...but I try to remember that MANY do and if they can I can...if Oprah can run a marathon you can, if the final 4 biggest loosers contestants can run a marathon with very little training YOU CAN!
BELIEVE! BELIEVE! and look at Julie's picture!!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Caroline - WE can and WE will!

Emz said...

awesome post.

just awesome.

all
of
it.
Why couldn't I have stuck to half marathons? Because "you've freaking got this marathon thing IN THE BAG!"

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Emz -- I find your blog super motivating and I'm so happy I found it and I feel honored that you're even reading my bitchin' about 6 lousy miles! lol... ;)

Anonymous said...

I understand everything you're feeling. You are NOT alone. But you know what, you did tell a million people. And you know why you did? Because deep down, you KNEW that would be the motivation you needed on days like today to get up and do it anyway. You think at mile 22 when I thought my legs were going to fall off that I didn't think about how many people I would have to tell if I didn't finish? Yeah, that was NOT going to happen... no way, no how. Sometimes we need a break, and frankly, you are training quite early for a June marathon, so you have a little time up front to redo a week if needed or take a couple days off. You do not have to be a machine all the time, we're human (well except Stotan Machine, Jason). ;-)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Lesley - You must be the best mommy ever because I always feel so comforted by your words of wisdom. :) You are right. I told a million people because I know my only way of sticking to something is - Big Goal + Accountability. I need it. I thrive on it. Otherwise it would be way too easy to say, "eh."

I will take time off if I have to, I'm starting to feel a wee bit better and am really going to try to take it "one day at a time." I have some relief that tomorrow is a little 3 miler - that should be a good, no pressure, run to clear out things...

financecupcake said...

Nice, honest post! Have you posted your training schedule anywhere? As another first-timer, I'm always interested in people's training schedules! You CAN train for a marathon. You are going to rock the training, girl! yea, it might be tough sometimes, but it'll totally be worth it. If it doesn't go too well, you'll just have to immediately sign up for five more. :) You've got this. Have some faith in yourself, mama!

financecupcake said...

P.S. - I meant to thank you for the Spark article. It really helped me mentally. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks, Christina - I'm using the NIKE + Coach "beginner program" that works with the Nike + thingie. It pretty much lays our a course of training and is a 28 week program.

You are welcome for the Spark article - I swear - I was having a meltdown a few weeks ago about weight gain (right around when I started to up my miles) and that article sooo helped me too. It was the first time something about the exercise/retaining water thing really made sense.

Unknown said...

PS; Maybe I'll write out the training week by week in the next few days and link to it so people can follow along or use it... good idea, Christina

reluctantmomma said...

You are amazing - not just because of your journey or your dedication, your drive, your determination. You are amazing because you are real and honest and reachable.

I didn't run my mileage on Sunday or today -but you can bet your sweet ass after reading this post I'll be hitting the pavement tomorrow!!

You rock Jen!! Don't stop beleiving - what if you change us all???

Unknown said...

Thank you Erin - that's such a nice thing to say and very motivating to keep me going!! xo

Anonymous said...

All you can do is take it one day at a time. Screw the what ifs. If you thought like that about everything in your life, youd never get anything done!

Unknown said...

Thanks Michelle - you are right, the "what if's" are paralyzing!