Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Making peace with the treadmill

Today was another 6 miles on the treadmill - I could've bundled up but decided against it. Now that it's below freezing my crappy, half-assed, outdoor gear isn't going to cut it so I'm counting down the days to Christmas for when I get my under armour - pretty sure that I'm getting this because I literally told my hubby that's what I want, here is where you can get it and HERE IS A COUPON for it.  So if I get a pair of earrings or some perfume, well. I will try not to be a total biotch and will try to be totally appreciative of "the thought" but I'll be upset to be without the gear.

Anyhoo. Today was a successful six miles on the treadmill. I count them successful not because they were the speediest - (I think it worked out to an 11:30 pace) but because I didn't totally hate every minute of it. In fact, I enjoyed it.  

I figured out the secret... I have to slow down. Yep. Slow down.

When I'm outside I run faster for whatever reason, I do not clock watch, when I'm feeling good I pick up the pace when I'm pushing too hard I slow down - it's all intuitive.  

On the treadmill, I'm trying to figure it out. I WANT to run fast - especially because my thinking is - A) I should be faster, B) The faster I am, the quicker I can get off the f'in dreadmill and C) I want to be faster. 

The great thing about cyber hanging out with all of you elite athletes is I learn a ton, I get tremendous inspiration, I see what I wanna be when "I grow up." The downside is - I can't help but feel like a slug when you people are smashing 26.2 in 3:20's - or I see your drills of 7 & 8 min miles or your warm ups as my best effort (around 10 min mi.) I am competitive and apparently, a closet athlete (who freakin' knew) and I want to be awesomely impressive with speed  - which I am. For me.  I have to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day - 10 months ago I never ran more than a minute in my life and that minute was run around a power walk of 4.0 - so I've come a long, long way. And that's something to be happy about.

Back to the treadmill, so in the past I would really push myself to run at a 6.0 because I wanted to go fast and I felt like I could handle it. I could for a mile or two but when I have to run for 6 miles, what happens at that speed is that I get SUPER HOT (not in a good way like red face, frizzy sweaty, gonna die way) and I guess I use a lot of steam - so by the time 3 miles roll around, I'm spent, cranky, hating life and not motivated to continue, I have to dramatically slow down anyway and the great pace is killed anyway. It just wasn't working for me. Part of the problem was, yes, it's more boring but I also always feel overworked. So today I decided to slow down and now worry about it. I ran at 5.0 - I would inch up to 5.5 and 6.0 for short spells here and there but many of the miles (especially the first 3) were right around 5.0... I still worked up a sweat, it still was effort but I wasn't dying or hating life. So I guess that's the way to go for me.

I'm going on a girls trip for two days - probably won't be around until Saturday, will let you know how that long run of 13 miles goes! (I'm considering it my own mini 1/2 marathon...) 

XO
Jen


11 comments:

Emz said...

YAY for treadmill love!!

It'll pay off!!

Awesome.

Jason said...

Great, great job.....and yeah I'm #1....

Well, you are better than me because I am not doing 6 miles on the treadmill I don't care how cold or hot it is outside. Ain't happenin'

Keep up the great work and all these lessons you learn will pay off....just let Rome get built don't try to force the bricks in.

Unknown said...

Thanks to you two - The big gun, motivating, "I wanna be you when I grow up," for your comments :) Keeping in the fight. It is gonna pay off!

financecupcake said...

Great job! Yep, enjoying a run definately makes it successful! That's great you're slowing down. Most of your runs should be done at an easy pace (save for tempo runs and speed work). I can run a 28-minute 5k, but I do most of my runs at an 11:30 pace (lately 12:00 because of the ice). Check out McMillan's running calculator: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
Scroll down, and enter your best race time. The e-mail part is optional. His numbers are perfect for me.

Enjoy your trip!

Unknown said...

Awesome, thanks for the link Christina!

Caroline said...

I have to do a lot of run the the TM and I like you have to make nice with the machine and slowing dows was key for me when I started going over 3 miles on it...

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Hate the mill but it is necessary :(

The Skårtist said...

when are they going to come out with "treadmill for wii"?!! Imagine how fun it would be if you got to collect coins and save a princess while running.

reluctantmomma said...

I feel EVERY SINGLE WORD - I ran my 10 K at a 11 min pace and could barely get below a 12 for my last 2 mile run - PISSED ME RIGHT OFF - but...I just have to slow down and remember how far I've come and how much I love to run.

You rock and inspire the CRAP OUTTA ME - as ALWAYS!!!

Anonymous said...

Christina is right. I need to be better about that.

Make friends with the tread. It'll save you on days you really need it. ;-) Tread is good. I don't think I could make it through training without one.

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments! :)