Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The corniest running songs on my playlist

photo source 

So I really rely on music when I run.

I know there are many running purists who enjoy music-free running. Uh. That's not me. Occasionally I don't mind a little convo with a fellow runner… and even rarer, do I like silence… just not my thing.

I don't need to hear my panting/gasping for air breathing. I like music. It motivates me, amuses me and even makes me laugh.

Many a tough run I've "disco'ed gunned" or "lassoed it in" to some obscure dance song that has made a hard run just a bit more fun.

So anyway, as I was getting seriously into one of my songs the other day, I realized that I would be mortified if I was to die on the spot and have someone hear the song that I was so seriously running/jamming to as I sprinted down the street… A song so corny and without a doubt proves, that, I am, indeed, a giant musical dork...

What was this corny song of corny songs?

Um. Ok. Here it is… "Tragedy" by the Bee Gees. Yes. The Bee Gees…

...I really should be holding you
Holding you
Loving you loving you
Tragedy
When the feelings gone and you can't go on
Its tragedy
When the morning cries and you don't know why
Its hard to bear
With no-one to love you you're
Goin nowhere
Tragedy
When you lose control and you got no soul
Its tragedy


Ok. It's not that funny. But seriously, it's a fun song to run to. At least it works for me.

I have a few other corny songs that I would die if anyone caught me listening to would greatly embarrass me on my playlist too:

A few of the best of the worst corniest songs that are or has once lived on my playlist:

Greatest American Hero - "Believe it or Not"
Hold On - Wilson Phillips
Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
St. Elmos Fire - "Man in Motion"
I Touch Myself - Divinals
Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (a man after midnight) - Abba

There are many more but I think those are the most cringe worthy.

What about you? Do you have any delightfully corny songs on your playlist?

XO
Jen






8 comments:

jamie said...

Okay, I TOTALLY agree with you! I have all the same songs on my Ipod, haha. I can't decide which ones are 'corny' per se, but I will say that I say that I've got a couple that are embarrassingly inspiring to me: 1.) From the Rain Man soundtrack, the instrumental 'Leaving Walbrook' brings out my inner champion. And 2.) The Christian song, 'Praise You in this Storm' that makes me want to praise God for the opportunity and ability to get out there and run my buns off.
I am very much inspired by music, and although these two songs don't fit in with the rest of my playlist (Eminem, Beastie Boys, Duran Duran) I love it when they roll around. ;)

Miss Carrie Ann said...

Angel is a Centerfold because Doug Heffernan from The King of Queens was singing it loudly while running on the treadmill in the episode where he is trying to lose weight because Carrie bought him a shirt from the Big& Tall store. I love that show and that is the only reason I have that song on my playlist!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I had a good time getting some music from my hay day in the 80's, like Tears For Fears and Rob Base. I know, quite the range in musical taste... I can't get enough of today's "pop," though, and that can be a bit embarrassing, like my new love for One Direction! And I heard that 98* will be performing on the Friday Concert Series on Today! SO excited!

The Unexpected Runner said...

This made me laugh out loud! Embrace the corny songs! Not only do I have the Greatest American Hero song on my playlist but it is the ringtone I use for my oldest son...he actually used to look like him before he got all his hair cut off! So I laugh everytime i hear it!

I also have a little:
Elton John: I'm still standing
G&R: My michelle
Devo: whip it
Georgle Michael: I want your sex
Johnny Cash: walk the line
Katrina & the waves: walking on sunshine
Loverboy: turn me loose + a couple others
Proclaimers: 500 miles
Tears for Fears: shout
Wild Cherry: play that funky music
Plus you can NEVER go wrong with any ABBA!

Yeah, I'm all over the place...but it makes for some kickass runs ;-)

Unknown said...

Thanks all - love it.

Jaime - I actually feel like checking out those songs now!

Miss Carrie - Awesomely corny song with a fabulous story behind it. I actually did a pop-pom routine to that song when I was ten. Not sure why our coach thought that was an appropriate song for us…

Linda, none of those songs are corny. ;-) at least to me. Obviously I'm hooked on the 80's too!

Unexpected runner - LOVE your list! Whip It and I want your sex definitely rank. haha… Half your songs will definitely be finding their way onto my playlist.

Lorenda said...

I had totally forgotten about the St. Elmo Fire song!! I have to get that one on my Ipod!!
I think that the song I'd most be embarrassed to get caught listening to is "And We Danced", by The Hooters!!

Unknown said...

I think we all probably have songs that could be called corny on ipods, if it gets you running than go get em!!

michellegiampaglia said...

you gave me some great song ideas Jen...I must confess to a binch of interesting songs on my playlists as well...MmmBop, Christmas music, Broadways show tunes and of course my Rocky hits...whatever works huh?