Wednesday, June 9, 2010

day 35 - 110 days to go - steps of progress



This stairway is significant.

70 pounds ago, when I was still working full time in the city, these stairs ran alongside the escalator at the train station.  I always took the escalator.

One day, the first week of my weight loss journey, I thought I would take the stairs to burn a few calories.  They were so hard to do that I had to rest half way up for a second!  I was huffing and puffing and sweating my way up.  I thought my heart would beat out of my chest and I could die right there.

Today, I decided to run up the stairs because the escalator was pretty crowded.

I ran up those steps like they were nothing.  Not only didn't I rest but there was no sweating, there was no huffing and puffing.  I could've carried on a full conversation!  I didn't feel taxed in any way.  I felt like I could've ran another 100 steps.  It just felt normal.  No problem.  Like a stroll in the park.

It was like magic.

Or scratch that.  Not magic.  HARD WORK.  

The progress has been so slow that sometimes it's hard to realize how different I really am, or how far I've truly come.  The scale moves slowly and occasionally I'll move down a size.  Yes, I even ran/walked a half marathon... but, wow, to remember how it felt the first time I ran up these steps to now.... it's incredible.

It just goes to show, if you keep in the fight, you can tackle anything.  One step at a time.

XO
Jen

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay! And with the crazy day you had you still found time to blog! Go Jen!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Ang. Yeah, I took a picture of the steps and figure I would throw this up. It was a highlight in my otherwise stressful day! :)

Frannie said...

Awesome! Sorry I've been AWOL for a bit... family visiting, busy days... but I'm glad I checked back in... I've been trying to do stairs more and park just a little further away from a store... not all the time... but getting there, one step at a time!

The Skårtist said...

lets do the central park stairs next week!!! You game?! And/or maybe even (gulp) the reservoir ?

Kathy said...

Wow ... that's great. If that isn't proof of how much you've worked and what a difference it has made in your health than I don't know what is. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Thanks all :) Sara, maybe... for me to come in from Jersey to run around steps in Central park in humidity -- tempting. really. lol... maybe lunch? Promise to run up the steps at the train station!