Sunday, January 27, 2013

Easy banana oatmeal pancakes: vegan, gluten free and dairy free


One of the biggest bummers for me when it comes to being gluten-free is missing pancakes. Pancakes are one of my favorite things in the whole world. I know you can buy gluten-free pancake mixes and stuff but I haven't felt moved to do that. I can't see spending that kind of money just so I could have an occasional pancake or two.

This morning I woke up in the mood for a pancake. Taking the gluten/dairy thing into account as well as not wanting to veer off my healthy path - I decided to experiment with what I thought might make a good pancake and it worked! I really enjoyed this and thought I would pass it along.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of quick oats
1 very ripe banana
a sprinkle of baking powder
a sprinkle of cinnamon
a dash of rice milk (or 'milk' of your choice - this is what I had on hand)
a tiny pinch of salt
2 tsps. of Olivio coconut spread (I happen to like this - it's dairy free and organic but you can use soy spread or other thing - your choice.)

love that coconut spread!
I threw the dry ingredients into my magic bullet and grounded it up until it was like an 'oatmeal' flour - a few seconds. Put that in a bowl.

Added the banana and dash of rice milk to bullet thing and blended til smooth.

I combined wet and dry ingredients in the bowl (add a little more milk if too thick).

Heated up a non stick pan with a tsp. of coconut spread. Once the pan was nice and hot I poured the batter into the pan - I made one huge pancake.

Once edges started to get dry looking, I flipped.

Took out of the pan and plate. Topped with other tsp. of coconut spread.

YUM. I think you could add shredded coconut to the batter, chocolate chips, pecans - whatever kind of ingredient is your thing and it would be awesome. I am a walnut fan and will throw a few in the batter next time.

The banana made the pancake pretty sweet. If your banana isn't very ripe, you could prob. add a half tsp of honey or something to the batter. I didn't feel it needed any syrup.

I hope you enjoy it!

XO
Jen

7 comments:

Lealah said...

Love experimenting with pancake recipes! You can also add egg whites to the mix to make them protein pancakes! I'm actually about to go make some right now, except I'm going to experiment with pumpkin and I've heard cottage cheese adds protein, too.. Course I guess that takes away from dairy-free, but it's a thought!

Unknown said...

Thanks! I do a similar recipe with an egg a lot! I didn't have an y eggs in the house and I had a super ripe banana I had to use. I was surprised at how tasty this came out!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

When I attempt to make them for the little one I use Better Batter and it makes ALOT! I suck at making pancakes and found the Van's one's yucky.

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

DEFINITELY would add chocolate chips (if I had them)! Looks delicious!

Scott said...

Did someone say FREE GLUTEN AND DAIRY!! Oh..gluten and dairy free...I'll try them anyway..but there is definitely butter going on the top of them.

Kitty Fantastic said...

Is the coconut spread tasty? Is it like oil you can get but less solidified? I wouldn't eat coconut oil on bread but the spread might work.

Unknown said...

I love the coconut spread. Spreads like softened butter and reminds me of butter - but has a soft, slightly sweet/ coconut flavor. I have spread it on my gluten free toast in the morning and really like it.