Sunday, January 27, 2013

Easy banana oatmeal pancakes: vegan, gluten free and dairy free


One of the biggest bummers for me when it comes to being gluten-free is missing pancakes. Pancakes are one of my favorite things in the whole world. I know you can buy gluten-free pancake mixes and stuff but I haven't felt moved to do that. I can't see spending that kind of money just so I could have an occasional pancake or two.

This morning I woke up in the mood for a pancake. Taking the gluten/dairy thing into account as well as not wanting to veer off my healthy path - I decided to experiment with what I thought might make a good pancake and it worked! I really enjoyed this and thought I would pass it along.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of quick oats
1 very ripe banana
a sprinkle of baking powder
a sprinkle of cinnamon
a dash of rice milk (or 'milk' of your choice - this is what I had on hand)
a tiny pinch of salt
2 tsps. of Olivio coconut spread (I happen to like this - it's dairy free and organic but you can use soy spread or other thing - your choice.)

love that coconut spread!
I threw the dry ingredients into my magic bullet and grounded it up until it was like an 'oatmeal' flour - a few seconds. Put that in a bowl.

Added the banana and dash of rice milk to bullet thing and blended til smooth.

I combined wet and dry ingredients in the bowl (add a little more milk if too thick).

Heated up a non stick pan with a tsp. of coconut spread. Once the pan was nice and hot I poured the batter into the pan - I made one huge pancake.

Once edges started to get dry looking, I flipped.

Took out of the pan and plate. Topped with other tsp. of coconut spread.

YUM. I think you could add shredded coconut to the batter, chocolate chips, pecans - whatever kind of ingredient is your thing and it would be awesome. I am a walnut fan and will throw a few in the batter next time.

The banana made the pancake pretty sweet. If your banana isn't very ripe, you could prob. add a half tsp of honey or something to the batter. I didn't feel it needed any syrup.

I hope you enjoy it!

XO
Jen
Post a Comment