Thursday, February 23, 2012

Saying goodbye to your toxic friends

OK. So I don't mean "friends" like the cranky b*tch who shows up to a cocktail party and proceeds to bring the whole vibe down.

I'm talking about other friends and by friends I mean food and food products.

I've broken up with a lot of "friends" during this journey. Long ago I said good-bye to mayonnaise, ice cream, potato chips, soda… even diet soda... Oh sure, we bump into one another every so often but for the most part - they've been kicked to the curb.

I take great pride in having a "pretty good" diet most of the time. Whole grains, veggies, fruit, healthy fats are the base of most of my meals but deep down inside I know that there are other changes I need to make  that I've been resisting.  It's just annoying to have to give up freaking everything.

Like what?

Breaking up is hard to do
Like artificial sweetener. I use the stuff in the yellow packet or I did. It was my friend. So sweet, so tasty - no yucky aftertaste and no calories. Ah. What's not to love? A Weight Watcher's dream. I mean I shouldn't have to give up a sweetener. Pout. But...

Deep down I had suspected that this can't be the greatest stuff in the world for you, I mean it's pretty much a chemical - no? But I lived in denial of it and then my mom posted a link on Facebook that read: Toxic Chemical being sold as Health Conscious Sweetner.  It wasn't about the pink or blue stuff. It was about my stuff.

Now, it's not like I'm downing fifty cups of it a day. A packet here and there in my coffee and occasionally some in other items like oatmeal.

But still. Why am I going to use something that can be considered harmful? It's dumb. I quit smoking and mayonnaise and now I'm going to get cancer because of this crap? Ugh. So I have to say goodbye to my friend.

And please Mr. Yellow Stuff - don't come after me - what do I know? You might be 100% safe and awesome - I'm just not taking any chances.

I bought this tonight:

welcome to the family
And though it's got calories, it's low glycemic and I'll just have to use it in moderation. I *think* it's better than regular refined white sugar. I hear there is some debate about Stevia too - so I will skip that.

Who's next?

Well I am a salt addict and I have to work on breaking that habit. I also should say goodbye to a few of the pre-packaged processed frozen meals that I rely upon for the occasional lunch in a pinch.

All in good time. I can only lose so many friends at once.

These friends, however, I have no plans of saying good-bye to:

I will not be saying goodbye to coffee, wine or my
occasional martini - so sue me. Girl's gotta have some fun


How about you? What's your poison? Who do you have to break-up with?

XO
Jen

19 comments:

nikki said...

chips ahoy.....but we have an understanding....there are certain parts of the month where it's ok to set sail on the ship of chips... but since it's usually after 10 pm, it doesnt count anyway. (it's good living in this happy little world of denial)..... xoxo and great work, jen the runner!!!

Unknown said...

hahaha - great. now I definitely want a cookie! thanks, Nik.

Jamie in Savannah said...

Oh holy heck, I'm SUCH a whino!! I totally know that this much sugar is naughty, but I love it oh so much... I'll eat egg whites for breakfast, salad for lunch and grilled chicken with broccoli for dinner. Just don't make me sacrifice my beautiful RED. ;)

The Skårtist said...

Have you met my friends Cheesy Poofs? They travel in LARGE packs, so they can be dangerous. Sigh. I've tried to break it off, but there something so fake cheesy good about them, it's so hard to let them go...

LilyWren said...

Chocolate chocolate and cheese..not necessarily together though! I can eat cheese in a whole block so I don't tend to buy it regularly!

As for sugar/sweetener I have my coffee without but when I have tea (usually Redbush) I need some kind of sweetness! I use a teaspoon of my husbands bees honey. It is an acquired taste sweetening with honey but I have got used to it now :)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I honestly don't think I've crossed anything off my list of friends. I do avoid them a lot because a visit with one of my BFF's can lead to an entire soiree with all of the others! I should really limit my packet consumption, along with the non-dairy flavored creamer, but it's probably my only vice. (Alcohol is consumed less than once a month, if that!)

Unknown said...

Thanks - glad I'm not alone - this morning as I swirled a bit of the agave in my coffee (just not the same…) I realized that if I was ever going to get on the 100% clean eating bandwagon, it's gonna be a long road!

My little breakfast alone had a half a piece of processed low fat cheese, an english muffin sprayed with spray no-calorie butter and the sandwich topped with a squirt of store-brand ketchup. Oy. Low in calories and fat - yes - but still crappy.

Sigh.

Unknown said...

Diet Dr. Pepper (and Diet Coke).

misszippy said...

The list gets longer all the time, doesn't it? I have to say I have a really clean diet--my downfall is too much of a good thing sometimes (hello, almonds, my love!). I'm with you, though, no giving up wine or coffee!

Crystal said...

Chocolate and wine...sometimes together :) But I have to say that I have replaced "fake" sugar with agave and honey and I'm perfectly satisfied! Some other things that have helped - banana adds the perfect amount of sweetness to your oatmeal or homemade bakes. And buying flavored coffee helps with not adding any calories but give it the "something" that I need :)

Unknown said...

Crystal - Good tips! And I see nothing wrong with Chocolate and wine - they are def more heart healthy and have some value vs fake butter spray or processed foods…

Amanda - I'm definitely working towards eating more and more cleanly. It's a work in process but I've come a long way.

Penny said...

I definately try to eat clean - obviously I don't always succeed but I try. I won't give up chocolate, wine or coffee. Depending on the time of day, week or month - they are my BFFs!!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

love it! coffee, wine and my occasional screwdriver will never part ways either =)

TurboTurtle said...

Oh, dear. Really? Do I HAVE to give up my yellow packets? Because unlike strong-willed you, Jen, I will have to put real, honest-to-goodness SUGAR in my morning cup-a-joe if I am going to survive. The good news? Those three spoons (I'll let you think teaspoon, when really I mean tablespoon!) of sugar might require some extra calorie burning, but will NOT cause cancer.

I have a whole cabinet of naughty friends I should probably kiss goodbye--starting with the "garden" chips I bought for my kids (they contain 12 vegetables!), but which I eat since they won't! Like you, though, I have already said an almost-complete adios to my beloved diet soda, with only one per week, if that.

Sigh ...

Erica Gorman said...

How about we bond and say good bye to artificial sweeteners together. Feel free to check on me and ask me if I slipped. :)

Unknown said...

Lisa - I hear ya sister. So annoying - isn't it?

Erica - Good plan - let's do it!

Katie Foster said...

It seems like every time we switch to something "healthier", later on they tell us that it's not healthy, but we should try (fill in the blank) instead. It's so frustrating, isn't it?! I've never liked the artificial sweeteners, but I now use Stevia in my tea (I didn't know that it was another controversial thing!). I tried the Blue Agave, but didn't like it--and lately I've been reading all kinds of controversy about the Blue Agave too!

Jason said...

There is no good reason in this world to get rid of coffee. There is scientific evidence that it is good for endurance athletes so keep drinking it and don't fret it.

Now the agave is good, but get locally grown honey and it works just as well and will help with your allergies b/c it is local.

I gave up alcohol when I figured out that training without a hangover was more beneficial to my times/paces.

Suz and Allan said...

I don't know there's anything I've broken up with but there are a lot of things I've never been big on such as salt. Never cook with it and never add it to anything. I have cut back on my cokes (diet or not) and limit myself to one per day.

I'm sure I need to say goodbye to lots of things in my diet but I don't!