Thursday, January 20, 2011

When you feel more like running away than actually running...

I like this quote
Back to life, back to reality... back to freezing temps and snow.

I have returned to Jersey and hopefully back to being on track.

And, I have good news and I have bad news.

Between all the yucky weather here in Jersey and being away for business for a week - my training is getting all out of whack. I'm a play by the rules gal, so being off course is tricky for me.

So, the bad news, I've been "off" the last week or so. I've not done my "official" long runs in two weeks (two weeks ago because it snowed and I did 6 miles in lieu of 10, and this past Sunday where I did 7 miles in lieu of 14... eeks.)

This past Sunday's long run was just too tough to squeeze the whole thing in. I made a choice to go out on Saturday night and have fun with friends, rendering me a nice little hangover for Sunday morning. I am happy that I got 7 miles in at least. The other piece to my decision in not doing the full 14, is, it's over 3 hours of running for me and would not only cut out half the morning but it would leave me pretty beat for the rest of the day. I was away in Cali with a friend and we had a full day planned - I didn't want to screw up someone else's time because I would want to nap and ice down all afternoon.

To boot, I also ran less than I was prescribed for the entire week. Bleh.

I guess that's the bad news. I am feeling behind in training and fighting feelings of failure and incompleteness.  These feelings are making me feel a little down and unmotivated - they are trying to eat away at my confidence and have me questioning my decision on marathon training - which ultimately makes me question the whole marathon decision from the get go.

Which has always been my problem.  The extremes. I'm a 100% or nothing. I've always been black or white. On or off. I've come a long way in navigating this issue in my diet - I no longer feel like it's gotta be a plain salad or a cheeseburger deluxe - I can find a happy medium, a balance. It's a lot of the reason why I've finally found some success in weight loss. I can roll with the food punches a little easier now.

Now I just have to do the same with running and even training.

The irony - I'm not that far behind in training (in fact I started training early to give myself wiggle room in case of injury/illness/or life). I'm not as "off" as I feel in the grand scheme of things. It's my own internal criticisms I have to face down and get past.

So, the good news - I am fighting those feelings and trying to work thru them rather than surrender. I realize that no one is perfect and my success lies in working thru tough times and accepting that sometimes things will be a little off. Life happens. One or even two crappy weeks of half training doesn't mean I give up.

And despite the obstacles, I did do something this week. I could've blown off Sunday all together but I didn't - I did seven miles which is seven more than I would've done at one time in my life. My first instinct was to actually not do anything. Paralyzed by the thought of not being able to do the full 14, I really was going to skip the whole thing until I thought it out. 7 is better than nothing - in fact just one mile would've been better than nothing...

A few other days where I had meetings and could only do a few miles (like Monday I could only squeeze in 2 instead of the 3) is also good news. Again, I didn't just give up, I found a way to do something. I am pleased that I'm hanging in there and still finding a way to run some miles even if it's not as many as "I should". I'm working thru the "all or nothing" mentality that has paralyzed me in the past.

Now lets not kid ourselves, it's a slippery slope of making excuses and patting yourself on the back for "at least doing something," it's going to be a struggle for me - to keep balance, keep on course and remain in the game.

I guess I can take only take it one day at a time. Today I did four miles - I would've liked to do more but I have a crap load of stuff to do and I had to sacrifice a few miles. Maybe tomorrow I'll run more. I gotta get a 12 mile long run in tomorrow or Saturday, despite another storm and freezing temps coming... it may have to be long run on a treadmill or outside or a combo of both.

Either way, I'm learning how to not throw in the towel so quickly. Not to assume an imperfect week means that I'm not "good enough" - it just means I might have to work harder somewhere else.

XO
Jen

PS: make sure to check out this super giveaway at Racing It Off for a pair of "golite" running pants. They look awesome: GIVE AWAY

13 comments:

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

Good for you for getting out there, even when you didn't want to.

Unknown said...

thanks, Rose! It's a journey of ups and downs, for sure!

Anonymous said...

great for getting out there. i definitely know how tough it is to go for a run after a night (or two...or three...) of going out. like you said, you aren't that far behind. i bet you catch up quickly.

Unknown said...

thanks vm - appreciate it MM -it'll be OK -just have to keep plugging

Anonymous said...

Jen your a running superstar! You accomplished so much with your half marathons last year. Don't get down on a few missed runs. You will complete that marathon,you may walk some of it but you know you will finish it! Also moderation is needed. I am sure you feel like with all the mileage you dont have anything else going on in life but running. So it is a good thing that you hung out with your gal pals! Balance is good.

Unknown said...

thanks, Ulla - it's a challenge but will keep at it... get past it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I just saw what it looks like in NYC on the news. Does chasing Ben around the apartment all day count? It should count for something.

Come back to LA! We can easily live without tequila!

Unknown said...

:D I shall be back soon!! Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

You know you have been sitting at the computer for too long when you comment on an old blog post thinking it is a current blog post and don't realize it is old. I am working today reading blogs in between working. I guess it is time to stop working! :) So please ignore my crazy and odd comment that is to a post that is probably a year old.

Unknown said...

No worries - all comments are good comments :) love them!

Sara said...

I know how you feel about not working through things all the time and surrendering. I have been struggling a little with training, and I am trying to take on your attitude of not giving up before I even TRY! Just know inspire others around you (ME) even when you are going through a rough patch! Keep it up - you're doing great! ;)

Jason said...

Hey kiddo -- this is a lifestyle and not a pit stop on the road of life. Sometimes we cannot control things and we have to let go and figure out other ways to do it and you did.

The beauty of marathon training is not only do you get to be in better shape but you also learn to be creative. You use your mind more and you use it to figure things out. Whether it be how do I get the miles in or would this color look better on set....you become creative and that is the beauty of training

You will figure it out and when you need that kick you know where to turn.

You got this buttercup!