Thursday, December 6, 2012

You never know where the road may go

You never know where the road may lead.

It's funny. Never in a million years did I expect to be living the life I'm living. Running really changed my life and in ways that I could've never predicted.

Back in February of 2010, I was struggling with my weight (stalled for a long time at about half way to my weight loss goal). I had just lost a sister-in-law to diabetes, was still trying to get footing on the next chapter of my career. I went in and out of bouts of depression and was having a tough time mothering my child who was difficult and often frustrated because of some of the special needs he has.

Running led me to this blog, which in turn helped me pick up jobs in the writing world. Those writing jobs helped me to put food on the table while I continued to build my film & TV business.

Running and blogging about running led me to meeting some of my best friends in the world including running buddies and Moms In Motion.

Me, meting up with fellow blogger and dear friend Jason, Angela filming - on location 

at REV3 Portland Maine, filming Jen Small 
Running led to weight loss, good health, better mental mood, less depression, a magazine article and confidence. It's opened doors to opportunity that I would've never imagined.

When you do one positive thing in one direction, other things happen. Things fall into place without even trying. At least they have for me.

Fall races: Top left - Rik (Jerry) Katie - Rik & Katie are the ones who started the Ragnar team!
Top right - hubby and I, bottom - newest runner to the team, Carly, Jen S. and John H.
And my partner and I are making my dream film. A film that will inspire others to run, seek good health, find good friends and make their own dreams come to life. We even now have an IMDb film page now!

How did I get this lucky? All because one day back in Feb. 2010, I decided to start running.

On location with Ragnar film runner, Allison
It hasn't been easy - mainly because making a film is expensive and we've struggled to piece together enough money to be able to pull it off. Also, every week we've been traveling to film the 12 racers - MI, WI, ME, CT, CA, OK, KS, CA, NY, and today we go to Ohio. (I missed the trip to AZ for one of the racers). And finally we'll travel to the race in Miami, Fl in Jan. It's not easy to do all that traveling with little money and a family. My husband had been a rock star - he believes in me and the project. Even my son Ben takes it in stride, bigs hugs, "I love you's" and "see you in a few days, Mom!"

The traveling makes it tricky to keep up on all the running and fitness I want to fit in - but we do our best to keep it a priority -

Angela rocks the bike as I make the best out
of the hotel treadmill in Kansas City, KS
I know we are on the right road. I know that like any tough road or race that if we keep moving forward, even slowly, that we'll get to our finish line.

And as I have learned, staying on the road, putting one foot in front of another and crossing finish lines, is what its all about.

I am so grateful. It's hard to put into words. If I had woken up with a cold, or in a different mood, or if I didn't tell a bunch of people when on a whim I decided to start running… If I hadn't immediately plunked down too much cash on a race that was too big for me… who knows who I would be and where I would be.

What other gifts has running given you?

XO
Jen



10 comments:

Daphne @ Daphne Alive said...

Wow, this is a wonderful post!

Last fall my binge eating was out of control and I ended up with several deficiencies from my poor diet. I started having muscle and heart problems because my body wasn't getting what it needed. My body was doing so poorly I couldn't even walk around the grocery store. After I got that under control I started running. It's amazing to go from not being able to walk this time last year, to being able to run 5k in a year. Running hasn't opened up doors for me, but being *able* to run is a blessing.

Unknown said...

It is a true blessing Daphne! Your own progress and journey is amazing!

Unknown said...

Wonderful story that will inspire many! And. Daphne, keep at it! Don't ever give up on you! I'm expecting you to rock it!

Unknown said...

so awesome.
i was feeling the same exact way yesterday! one good decision leads to another :)

LOVE YOU and I am so excited and HONORED to be a part of this amazing project.

Keep Smiling!!

Maureen said...

Love this! I'm really looking forward to the film. :)

nikki said...

so proud of you... and love our running days... xoxoxo you're on your way, jen the runner!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

After so many failed attempts to lose weight throughout my life, running has helped me stick to a healthier lifestyle and finally lose the weight and live life. I didn't do it all those other times, but it was the right time for me to do it and every choice had a wonderful consequence. I liked Sparkpeople on FB. I found Katie's success video, which led me to her blog, which led me to yours...I'm so glad it all happened this way!!

misszippy said...

I chalk it up to more than luck--you have a great, inspiring story to tell and you've worked hard to get where you are. Pat yourself on the back!

Colleen said...

Wow, what beautiful and inspiring words! You are not only inspiring because you have changed your life and improved your health, but now you will be sharing that with others that will surely be touched by yours and the entire team's story. Awesome and thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments. I am the happiest, luckiest girl. I'm filled with such gratitude for this running journey and for you guys, the friends who have supported me in my running and blog. I will never be able to express the emotions I have for the whole thing.