Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Miami Ragnar - I am freaking out


All these months in the making.

The race. The movie. One of the biggest events of my life.

All about two weeks away.

I. Am. Freaking. The. F***. Out.

I've been so focused on making the documentary part of this journey that I have forgotten my own "running" part of this journey. My three legs are: 4.2 miles, 9.9 miles and 4.1 miles.

9.9 miles. In the middle of the night. Who thought this was a good idea?

I can't tell you the panic that is trying to set in. I'm trying to maintain a sense of "WOO HOO - this is an adventure!"

But I haven't ran more than 4 miles since early October, I'm deathly slightly afraid of the dark, and I'm already imagining being chased by pumas, evading alligators and trying to escape boa constrictors  (and any other scary animals I can image live in Southern Fl.)

The thing is I'm very lame when it comes to wild life. Even running around my suburban neighborhood, I've been known to have my heart skip a beat by a pigeon who has swooped in a little too close, I'll cross the street if a squirrel looks a little mean. A dog off a leash (even a little one?) Stopped in my tracks. Yeah. I know. I'm nuts. So you can just imagine how I'm feeling about this crazy midnight run thru what I can only envision as a rain forest but probably will be more of a road/running path.

make no sudden moves and no one gets hurt


Perhaps the fear of the dark and animals will make me run faster?

Sigh.

I've been dealing with a chest cold that finally took hold of me last Friday. I'm pretty sure my immune system gave up fighting once I heard the Sandy Hook news. I slumped into a depression and numbness for most of the weekend and submitted to the illness. I just couldn't deal with that news.

But I'm starting to feel a wee bit better, even if I still have a cough in my chest and a heaviness in my heart, so, I did an "easy" four miles today.

But there was nothing easy about the four miles I did at a 11:30 avg. pace. It was tough. I coughed and panted. I thought about doing 5 or 6 but decided that not over-doing it would be better than the mental "see I can do 6 so I can do 9" game that I like to play, for right now. I'm hoping that the five half marathons I did in 2012 will be enough of a 'base' background training that though I haven't clocked many miles lately, those miles will somehow count.

My plan for last minute training is to do another 3 or 4 by Friday and then 6 over the weekend.

Next week, I'd like to do a 4-4-8 type thing.

And then a few miles the week of the race.  I think I'll be OK. I mean, it's gotta be OK. I'm not going to give up or let my team down, so I've got no choice but to suck it up and be great.

That's my plan for the miles. As far as the alligators? I've got nothing yet.

XO
Jen

11 comments:

John Hulsey said...

Remember, this relay is not our challenge. This relay is our celebration. We have all reached amazing goals, accomplished so much, and inspired so many. Our Miami to Key West run is going to be one big "heck, yeah!" occasion.

Breathe. Relax. And get ready for a great time!

Unknown said...

You will be fine justvtakeyour pepper spray for the animals ;) I was worried about everything you mentioned on my relay too and it all worked out and totally rocked! It was high on my list of awesome things I've done in my life:) you'll do great!

misszippy said...

Just think of the adrenaline shot you'll have when you see your first gator--that'll get you moving w/ no problem! ; )

In all seriousness, I think the excitement of it all will keep you going. You may be sore the next day, but you've got this. Excited for you!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I'm as prepared as I can be, running on a treadmill with Kathy Lee and Hoda or Anderson to keep me company, in bright flourescent lighting and a fan whirring overhead! I guess I have to trust the captain and know we'll be fine.

Scott said...

Just think of yourself as having a great taper before the race and thus should be fully rested. Hopefully you have a nice headlamp and aren't going to rubber band a flash light to your head.

Colleen said...

You got this, Jen!

Carly said...

Excuse me? Pumas?

Z@KickingKilos said...

Jen you will be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I so want to meet you!
My husband has business there--hence the Miami trip. Else I guess I would have just gone to Oahu!

:)I hope we can meet. :P

RoadJane said...

I'm freaking out too!! My legs are 5+, 6.9, and 5+. Hope I see you there!! It's my first Ragnar and I really hope everything goes well. What time does your team start?

Unknown said...

Thanks all!

Jane - what's the name of your team and what runner are you? I will definitely try to find you at some point!

You have tough legs too!

I'm sure we are going to have a blast :-)

I think we're starting at 7AM


The Skårtist said...

I speak from experience here when I say, running in the dark, in the middle of the night, with fog rolling in and with zombies and racoons chasing you (whether real or in your mind) totally makes you run faster!!! Even though my leg was only about 5 miles, it was the fastest 5 miles i've ever run, mostly because I wouldn't let the one guy in front of me out of my sight! --- My advice for that leg, is pick a buddy and stick with them. It's going to be soooo FUN!!!