Saturday, December 22, 2012

Two years at my goal weight

This week marks my being at my WW goal for TWO YEARS!

I'm doing a happy dance!



I can't believe it. It's no fluke. I lost the weight and I'm keeping it off. This makes me proud and I'm so grateful that I've been managing this. It's something that I always dreamed of being able to do and even though this has all become a "way of life" for me, the significance in this achievement is profoundly important to me.

And I'm happy because my weight is back in control to around 145.2 (It was up to 150 a month or so ago. 150 is my goal but i like to stick around 144/145).

I've always been a yo-yo person… I was either piling on massive amounts of weight or peeling it off. It's how I've lived my entire adult life prior. Not on purpose, of course. I just never could get it right. I was missing pieces of the puzzle in prior attempts.

Of-course a huge piece of that puzzle was consistent exercise and more specifically in my case, running.

And another piece of the puzzle was eating primarily junky-foods. And when I say junky-foods I'm not even talking about the usual suspects of fast food, ice cream or chips. No. I'm talking about the junky foods that I thought "were good for me." All through my prior dieting life I lived on highly-processed foods that used words like "diet," "low-fat" "fat-free." I would count the calories in instant mashed potatoes, 100 calorie packs, frozen low-cal meals, fat-free pudding, fat free chips, 0-calorie butter spray, artificial sweeteners, "sandwich thins," etc… I lived on packaged, processed junk and I thought I was being a healthy person by doing so. I truly think that what has made the difference in maintaining my loss this time around is eliminating almost all of that. I really enjoy eating more clean and much less processed.

And I'm not judging. If you rely on a frozen meal here and there or eat sandwich thins, that's fine. I just almost exclusively used those products. Personally, for me, I'm more satisfied and less hungry by eating whole foods and healthy fats.

Huh. Healthy eating and exercise works. Who knew?  ;)

I am happier, I feel better, and I'm more satiated. I strive to eat clean now-a-days though I am not always perfect. I will still eat chips on occasion, I will still have a little ice-cream, I love my martini's and Greek food Saturday nights… but I have been able to balance things better overall.

On a side note, lately many people have asked me about the difference between Spark People and WW since I talk about both programs a lot. I have been counting calories at Spark. My WW meeting was an anchor for me when I was losing because I loved the people in my particular meeting. I had a connection to my leader. I am social so I liked looking forward to going to my meeting on Sat. morning. It's kind of why I love my Moms In Motion group so much. I continue to weigh-in at Weight Watchers because it's free for lifetime members and knowing I've got that monthly meeting with the "official" scale has been working for me, so why now?

Spark People, though, is GREAT too. It's FREE for everyone which is the biggest plus over Weight Watchers - it has a tremendous social aspect to it and amazing resources. I kind of consider it the "Facebook" of nutrition because you get all this great nutrition/activity information but you can blog, post pictures, join groups, take challenges, send each other motivational stuff and make friends like FB. I was a Spark member as I did Weight Watchers - there are even Weight Watcher community groups on Spark. To me, it's all about support and surrounding yourself with the right people. So wherever you find those folks, is what matters the most.

I am happy, lucky and blessed. I'll never stop marveling on my good fortune of finding running and along the way, finding my way to this finish line.

XO
Jen






9 comments:

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Yay!! Congrats!!!

Daphne @ Daphne Alive said...

Congrats on two years maintenance! You must be so proud!

I agree with Spark, it really is a great site with so much support!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Congratulations Jen! I'm so happy that you're feeling better and eating clean is working for you in so many different aspects. Us not "getting it" for so long and then it finally clicking all happened at the right time, aligning the stars and have us all meet!

Colleen said...

Congrats, you are so amazing!

Elle said...

I am a lifetimer at WW too. Congratulations on your 2 year milestone. So happy for you.

I think Spark People is a really good resource. Good community and I often go there for recipes, it seems.

All the best to you in 2013!

RunToTheFinish said...

yeaaaahh congrats!! I have been at my weight for 5 years now and it is a really amazing feeling to not have to worry about it, but know it's just a way of life now.

Sara said...

This makes me so happy to read. Congratulations to you!!!! You inspire me more than you know. Merry Christmas, BBFF! :)

Z@KickingKilos said...

:) amazing!!!! You are such an inspiration Jen! xo
*congrats*

michellegiampaglia said...

So inspiring Jen...just awesome