Friday, May 11, 2012

Post race blues: What's next?

Jersey Shore
Nothing like coming thru your race season and feeling that sense of loss. I ran Surf City in February, Hollywood in April and most recently (as you may have heard from my hubby) New Jersey Shore this past week.

Whenever I race and have nothing left on the schedule, I always feel this sense of blah. A little lost, a little aimless, a little itchy. I like having a race on the calendar. Running is its own reward but races make me run a little further, try a little harder, having a goal means something to me.

So now what?

Yep, I'm running Ragnar in January and that's super, super exciting. But That's 8 months away!

Although running ING NYC marathon this year would've probably been very, very challenging due to all the commitments on my plate, I was kinda counting on getting in to spur on my training mode. Well that didn't happen.

I guess I'll have to start thinking about fall races to take me thru the summer. I know my hubby is also already looking forward to his next half. Maybe I'll do Atlantic City again...

---------------------------------------

How cute are our MIM jerseys?
In other news, I am a new member of a running club! I was invited to join the Bergen County Moms In Motion! While many are new runners who are training for their first 5K - I'm honored to join them. We'll be meeting at my favorite park every Saturday morning and I'm looking forward to joining the club. Many are nervous and consider themselves, "non-runners." I'm hoping to be living proof that anyone who has the health, the feet and the commitment, can be a runner. I'm sure that these special mamma's will inspire me in ways they'll never know and I'm excited about it. This will be a new experience for me. I've almost exclusively run by myself since I started running 3 years ago! I'm often jealous of friends who have others to do their long runs with. Maybe I'll even find my own running buddy!

Do you get the post-race blues?
Do you have any fall races lined up yet?
Do you belong to a running club?
Do you have friends you run with or are you typically solo runner?

XO
Jen

PS: Thank you for supporting the documentary so far! If you haven't had a chance please "like" our Facebook page here. The more "likes" the more "likely" we will be to attract sponsorship funds! so every like counts!


16 comments:

Unknown said...

Look how pretty you look in that picture!

Unknown said...

Ha. Thanks, Ang. Nothing like PROOF stamped across your chest to jazz a girl up ;)

misszippy said...

I get that about post-race blues. Maybe look for some shorter races to do over the summer until you return to longer things? I always like to do that--more relaxed but still keeps you sharp.

Have fun with the running club. That's where I found all of my besties a few years back and now can't imagine life w/o them!

John Hulsey said...

This year, I don't know what it means to NOT have a race on my calendar, so I got nothing here. *laughing*

Elle said...

Hope you have fun with the new running club. Bet it will be great.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I liked your page and I got to read Meredith's Last straw! I needed to see that!

Hungry Girl Fan said...

I know exactly how you feel. If I don't have a race on the calendar, I tend to lose motivation in my running. Try finding at least a local 10k to run.

Unknown said...

thanks for all the comments - Michele, thanks for liking us - I do have a few 5K's coming up - one I still have to sign up for next week and another in July.

I'll work it out. It's all good. :D think I'll go for a run now.

Michelle said...

I definitely get post-race blues - as you said, I like having goals!

Enjoy your new running club. I unusually run solo but would love to find a group to mix it up a little

Erika said...

i am running my first ever race in june (a 5k)- i am nervous and dreading it. i am supposed to be doing c25k but it is soooooo hard for me!!! i am in awe of you "real runners" - i have one month left to train and it is going to be ROUGH. hopefully i'll do it and then onto the next one. why not sign up for a 10k for the summer just to keep you motivated?

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I get the post-blues over just about anything, like planning for a party, then it goes in the blink of any eye, and then... nothing. All of the excitement leading up to things and then there's the void. I haven't raced at all yet! My first is 3 weeks from today!

RunToTheFinish said...

I never really have post race blues, but i think it's because for me running isn't really about the races, i run even with none on the horizon...i'm weird!

Jamie @ *that* mom said...

You should run the Reach the Beach NJ Relay! I'm looking for team members ;) I'm not too far from you over in Sussex County.

Otherwise, I ran the Ocean City half marathon last year, and while it is pretty small it was a great race - super organized, nice course (minus some silly out and backs at the far end of the boardwalk), and there was great post-race boardwalk food - ha!

Gigi said...

I am a member of a running club but I don't attend any of the non race events so it is more like I joined for the discounts the card gets me. I wish I had someone to run with but I am a slow runner and always seem to have a hard time breathing when I am running in my neighborhood so I am embarrassed and also would not want to slow anyone down....so I am just a lone runner by default. I have started a little running club with some friends but it is nothing more that we try to do some of the same races and have a facebook page where we post pic, races and encouragement. I love it but I wish it was more.

I always have a race on my schedule that is why I run...to try and beat my last time. I do a minimum 2 5ks a week from March - December and do a winter run series in January and February. Granted I just started running a year ago (5/22/11) was my very first 5k :)

Jason said...

I would have the post race blues I'm sure but I make sure to avoid that at all costs. I need that landmark on the schedule to get after it even if it is not a race I intend to race but use more for training purposes.

Anonymous said...

Excellent Working Dear Friend Nice Information Share all over the world.God Bless You..
bicycle shops north london