Tuesday, May 8, 2012

That's what he said: My hubby's race recap of his first half at the Jersey Shore

Marty and Jen pre-race
The alarm went off. 4:00 AM. For most people this is a hideous time to open their eyes, but for a parent of child who could care less about time, this was the norm. The one big difference for me this morning was that I was about to run my first half marathon.  With butterflies flapping away in my stomach, I managed to get dressed in the dark in an effort to not wake up our son Ben who had wandered into our bedroom, again. The race was still a couple of hours away, but in my mind I had already won. Ben never flinched. Proof that miracles do happen. Maybe this will be my day.


The sun had not begun to shine, but we were on way to Long Branch NJ for my first battle with 13.1.  As an ex-performer I have had to endure my share of nerves before a show, but this was different.  Although I felt prepared, I just didn't know what to expect.  All of my training had taken place on a torture device known as a treadmill. The most I had ever run was 10 miles on this thing and even though I've heard if you could run 10 you can run 13.1, I still had my fair share of doubt. My mind went back to my first and only 5K, where I felt I had trained enough but hit the wall only 1/2 mile in. 13.1 was a pipe dream for me. Something athletes can only do or my amazing and inspirational wife Jennifer.  I have always hated running. From my days playing man hunt on streets of West New York, NJ at 10 years old until yesterday, running and I did not mix. I have been asthmatic all my life so I've never had any luck when it came to running. I would just pretend that I thought it was boring, but in reality I just really couldn't do it.

About a year ago Jen signed me up for that first 5k. I really wasn't in any shape to do it, but she made me feel confident that I would be able to conquer it. I'm so glad she did. Although I almost died a couple of times during that 5K, I finished it. I broke through the asthma thing and I proved to myself that I had the ability. Since then, I have lost close to 20 pounds, most of that contributed to running. I said yes to Jen's suggestion of running my first half. I trained hard and the moment came quickly.

It was 55 degrees, perfect running weather. I knew it was going to be a good day, not only cause I felt it, but our car got crapped on four times by rogue birds as I drove 80 mph on the Garden State Parkway. What are the odds? That's good luck - right? As soon as we pulled into the parking lot you could feel the electricity in the air. My nervousness turned to excitement instantly. We quickly made our way over to our corral and waited. Corral by corral, runners began their journeys. Our corral was called. The moment of truth had arrived. For a second, doubt crept in. Was I going to hit that wall early? I turned to see my beautiful smiling wife giving me the thumbs up. I knew then that this time would be different. I was trained and confident that I would tackle each and every one of those 13.1 miles. Thank you so much Jen for being you and believing in me.

We took off. The breeze felt incredible as we weaved in and out of slower runners and walkers. Why have I been training on a treadmill all this time? The music was blasting and luckily Jen kept holding me back and helping me keep a good easy pace. Before I knew it we were passing mile one, then mile two, I couldn't believe how incredible I felt. I wasn't gasping for air like in the past and my body really felt good. We got to mile three and Jen had to to stop for a potty break. I had all intentions of stopping too but she told me to keep on going and she would catch up. I had no doubt she would, so I agreed and kept on chugging along. Weird things happen when you don't really know what your pace is.** All of the sudden I turned into Jesse Owens, the short, latin, over weight version, but Jesse Owens none the less. I must have been running like the cops were after me because all of the sudden my music was interrupted by the sound of Jen's Wonder Woman ring tone. She was literally running like the devil trying to catch up to me. Oops.  **this is Jen - I wanted to kick his ass at the time. I told him to jog/keep an easy pace so I could catch up… I SPINTED for more than a mile in the 8:30 area to catch him! I was a little peeved and sucking air by the time I got him. grrrr. Thanks dear.

She caught up to me right after mile 4 and laid down the law on keeping a nice slow pace. I just couldn't help it. I felt like a gazelle for the first time in my life. I knew I had to enjoy it now because the big bad lion, aka mile 11, was coming to pounce on me. I had never run more than 10 miles and when I did that I thought the gym was finally going to get to use their portable defibrillator. At mile 5 I heard my kidneys pleading for a porta potty break. The problem was that every time I stopped there was a line 20 deep of people that clearly could care less about their times and I was damned if I was gonna let the 3 hr pacer get too far ahead of me.  I kept running and putting off the inevitable until visions of kidney stones danced in my head. We stopped at mile 7 and waited for one of those potty doors to open. I don't know what was more torturous, my exploding kidneys or losing time. Drop and go people, drop and go!! We finally got back under way. I'm feeling real good, Jen looks good and we were coasting. It was incredible to see how many people were out there supporting us. I couldn't have asked for a better atmosphere for my first half. The best thing of all was experiencing this with my wife and my best friend. Amazing.

Miles 8, 9 & 10 felt longer than the first seven. My ankles were screaming, I had chosen the side of the road for most of the race. I was literally running on a slight angle. That took its toll. Running in the middle of the road for a while really help me out. Then came mile 11. The end was so close but oh so far away. Jen started to have cramps in her hamstrings and my legs felt pretty battered up at this point. Luckily Jen found some coconut water and downed it - that seemed to help her. Now I'm starting to struggle, but we are on the Broadwalk and only 2 miles away. I still could not see the finish line but it was only a matter of time before it came into view. My inner Jesse Owens decided to take over again. I wanted that finish line to come quickly and with Pitbull singing one of his 50 songs in my ear phones, I took off running like a hurt gazelle that's trying to stay away from the jaws of a lion. All of the sudden I looked back and to my surprise Jen was not there. I didn't realize she was still going through a little cramping. I slowed down and we both headed towards glory. ***ahem. I was cramping a little bit and with the fear that I might have another seized moment like I had at the Hollywood Half, I didn't want to risk it… besides, we were still 2 miles out and I save my 'gazelle' move for the last mile… rookie. ;) 

There it was, I could see the glow of that beautiful finish line the distance. Jen suggests that I take off my ear phones and take in the moment. She was right. The crowd was pushing me towards my goal. The closer the finish line got the more emotional I was getting. I could hear our names being announced on the speakers. Crossing that finish line might go down as one of the most incredible feelings I have had or will ever have. That sense of accomplishment cannot be out done. You trained, you hurt, you ran the miles. I almost shed a tear until I came face to face with the hardware. My first medal, unbelievable. Like zombies we hobbled the streets of long branch and waited for our school bus to come and rescue us. Finally the bus arrived. The sweet taste of victory over pancakes at IHOP awaits.



victory
Overall I have to say that it was an amazing experience that I will never forget and I will continue to run. I'm truly blessed to live with a great coach and motivator. Maybe a full marathon awaits one day. For now I'm just happy to see the 13.1 bumper sticker on the back of my car that Jen gave me as a gift after the race, and now I am in on the secret… I now know that I can do anything I set out to do.


Why Yes I am the proudest wife ever. 


XO
Jen


PS: Marty forgot to mention that our time was 2:51 not bad considering two potty breaks! Pretty sure we would've come in around 2:40 - my garmin (which automatically pauses when stopped) said we did it in 2:38… not bad. My first took me 3:15! Go Marty.

26 comments:

John Hulsey said...

You must keep running and you two have to blog together again. I loved the recap(s)!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

THAT WAS HYSTERICAL!!! I mean, I felt the appropriate feelings of awe and happiness for Marty, but most of the time I was cracking up! He had me right from the moment he DIDN'T wake up the boy! Running like he was chased by the cops had me thinking of my husband running this morning in his black Yankees knit cap and jeans! He has to keep running JUST so I can keep reading his guest blogs! please.

Allison D. R. said...

I was so excited for Marty reading this, and all of his comments about your support made me misty-eyed. Then I got to "my wife and my best friend" and I lost it. You two are WONDERFUL together! I'm so happy for Marty for accomplishing this huge feat!! And yes, definitely must hear more the hubby!!

Unknown said...

You just made me cry AGAIN! Great blog Marty! I'm going to come run the next one with you guys! If I can keep up that is!

Paige said...

I'n new to your blog. Loved reading about the race re-cap! I'm currently training for my second half that I will run in June.

❀ Paige
Finding Joy in the Journey

Anna said...

Awesome job!

Azrhiaz said...

Aww, that's so awesome! It sounds like he had an easier time of it than I ever did! I'll keep praying for my gazelle moment! LOL Good job, Marty! And I'm so glad you had a great coach to support you and encourage you! Makes me feel a bit envious! :D

Karen

*~*~* Tracy said...

Great job! and great race report!
I look forward to many more. Keep up the good work!

Jogging on Coffee said...

It is so cool that you two did this together :) Congrats on your first half Marty!

Meister, Running While Smiling said...

This post made me smile until my cheeks hurt! Congratulations to both of you -- what an achievement, and what a way to bond.

WAY TO GO, MARTY!!

Jen said...

That was great! Pure entertainment. Your hubby needs to blog more often.

In the pre race photo - I see a belt on you. What do you use to carry stuff with you? I'm realizing now that summer is here that I need to find a way to carry water with me. The humidity is just making me struggle.

Lealah said...

I love this blog! My ultimate fantasy come true would be if my boyfriend would run with me! Congrats to Marty on a successful first half!!!

Laima said...

Nice job - congrats!

Cathy Tucker said...

Way to go Marty! Congrats and thanks for sharing, it is an experience unlike any other!
Jen you ROCK way to play it forward!
Health and blessing to both of you.

Cathy Tucker said...

Way to go Marty! Congrats and thanks for sharing, it is an experience unlike any other!
Jen you ROCK way to play it forward!
Health and blessing to both of you.

Cathy Tucker said...

Way to go Marty! Congrats and thanks for sharing, it is an experience unlike any other!
Jen you ROCK way to play it forward!
Health and blessing to both of you.

Unknown said...

Excellent review! My husband is doing his first half this year too! I actually asked (in jest) one of the 4:25 pacers if she'd like to use the bathroom at my house when we were in Ocean Grove. I loved this course!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

Congrats!! What an awesome job!

DigitalGirlRuns said...

Awesome team effort!!! Congrats on your 1st victory. Keep up the great work and collect more bling.

Janice said...

This made me teary-eyed. I am a relatively new reader and am ready to get back to running. My last run was Sept 24 (our 29th anniversary) at the Toronto Zoo. My husband is the runner (15 marathons) and is my best friend, the biggest cheerleader and best coach ever. Even though he is literally twice my speed, he loves to run with me. My first 10K was in Ottawa 2009. It was Saturday evening. He would run up about 1k to cheer, then another, then another. It got tough around 6k, it was hot, and he ran along side of me to the end...1:32:55, and then ran his best marathon ever...3:32:33, the next morning! I am thinking of trying a half this fall to honour my dad, who was dianosed with Lou Gehrig's disease about 3 weeks ago. Guess i should just sign up. Kathryn Switzer signed in her book for me...It isn't just about running, it's about overcoming the impossible. Go for it; every step is magic!

Frannie said...

Jen- you motivated me at that same race last year! Apparently, you are good at this task. And watch out- you may have not only running competition, but blogging competition from Marty! Great post both of you. Congrats Marty on your first half.

Laura said...

Arghhhh I got super behind on blogs and didn't realize you were running NJ! I ran the full and would have loved to meet up - maybe another time.

CONGRATULATIONS :)

yp1b80 said...

I loved reading your blog! I have been wanting to start training and after reading this i think I am ready. it was truly a motivational blog. Keep running and blogging.

yp1b80 said...

I loved reading your blog! I have been wanting to start training and after reading this i think I am ready. it was truly a motivational blog. Keep running and blogging.

Albert said...

Marty - congrats on completing your first half, and more impressive, your weight loss! Way to go! I too dropped a lot of weight through running and now I love it! I've run a few halfs since, but nothing beats finishing your first one. Enjoy it. Keep it up! Great job.

Unknown said...

I am Rosalin from Russia,I am here to say thanks and appreciate Dr IRABOR of iraborspelltemple@yahoo.com,for all his help toward me,He really take his time to help me to cast a spell when i lost my lover to another woman...Thank you for the spell you cast that brings him back to me,we are now happily married with kids and we are more happier than never before,all thanks to you,Long leave Dr IRABOR and Long leave iraborspelltemple...A temple were all marital and relationship problems are solved,email iraborspelltemple@yahoo.com