Friday, May 4, 2012

Running a race without racing

First medal with Angela
PR!

That's always a kinda goal in the back of my mind going into any half marathon. At very least, I'm always thinking about running the best I can and 'leaving it all out there.'

This Sunday will be different.

This Sunday I will be running the NJ Shore half marathon in Long Branch.  I LOVE this half. It's extremely special to me.

First of all, it's in the Dirty Jerz. My home state, it's my bro yo.

Secondly and more significantly, it's my anniversary half. In 2010 I toed that starting line with anticipation, a little bit of fear, wonder, hope and determination… later that day, I crossed the finish line a half marathoner - a runner, it was the first real goal I'd ever made and completed and it changed my life.

Last year, I took a full half an hour (maybe more) off my initial time.

This year, time will not matter. I will not be PR'ing and I might even finish worse than my first year!

And it's awesome.

Why?

Because I'll be doing this half with my husband. This will be his very FIRST half. I will run at his pace which is probably around what I was doing when I first started running. Marty run? Run a half marathon? This is a miracle - I am so grateful for. A good habit he just might've (well definitely) caught from me. ;)

I had the privilege, pleasure and bestowed kindness to run my first half alongside one of my best friends, Angela. I know her engine was revving to run the speedy pace she could. She walked when I had to, stopped for water when I needed a break and took pictures when I wanted to pose with mile markers. That first half was epic and it was made more special because my friend selflessly ran every step by my side.

This Sunday I will do the same for my hubby. Cheering him thru every mile, reminding him to hydrate and fuel up - I'll take pictures for prosperity and I'll keep him moving when he (maybe) hits the wall right around the 10 - 11 mile mark (at least that's where it happened for me!) And then I'll get to experience that once in a lifetime joy of crossing that finish line by his side.  His life changed forever. And mine too… I'll have the privilege and joy to be there for his first time. Every step of the way.  How awesome is that?

PR? Who needs a PR?

Have you ever paced anyone?
Did someone pace you for your first race or races?
If you are interested - read about my very first half here and last year's 1st anniversary run here.

XO
Jen

PS:  I LOVE you guys. thank you for the outpouring of love, support and cheerleading with the film. It really is gonna take this village to raise an awesome film and words can't describe how appreciative I am of you guys.

PSS: Still owe you a BL post… might not happen. Truthfully, after the walk-off and all, it was kind of an anti-climatic finale. I'm yawning over the thought of a post. Kim looked awesome. I will say that. Sick body. Wow.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

My first race was the Disney Princess Half marathon this year, and I ran with a friend. It was hers too, so she wanted a PR, but I just wanted to finish. But that was ok. This year I want to PR, which won't be hard, since I am actually training for this one. I train alone anyway so running the race isn't much difference for me. I keep trying to get my Hubby out running with me, but so far.... no luck! Maybe one day though! Have fun at your race, and keep it up!

Unknown said...

Good luck with your PR this year, Jenna!

Maybe someday your hubby will join you - I still can't believe I got mine to do a little running! ;)

Paulette said...

So great he is running with you! I'm signed up for a half this fall and it will be the first one for 2 friends - we plan to run together. I'm really excited to pace them and to help them accomplish the goal.

Unknown said...

Awesome Paulette!

I think it's going to be as special as any PR (even if I have to fight the urge to run with wild abandon!) lol

Cathy Tucker said...

Ok, I am soo new to this, what is PR? Don't laugh too hard.
Wish you husband luck! I did my first 13.1 last Saturday and proudly placed a bumper sticker on my car. (once I realized it had nothing to do with the bible, which I always did!) like I said I'm new :)

Unknown said...

Cathy…

OK first of all, i literally LOL'ed at the 13.1 comment. First of all, I promptly did the same thing/secondly - the bible… that was funny.

PR means Personal Record so it's just basically running faster than you did your last race.

It's not silly. Actually makes me smile at how far I've come… All "using the lingo" like a pro when not to long ago I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what PR meant either!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on Saturday. I love that you're running with your husband. It's so admirable of you and really shows your love and support for you hubby. I live in Jersey too and hope to run that half one day. good luck on on the run!

Unknown said...

Ty "Anonymous". Hope you get to too - it's a really beautiful race and the Jersey peeps are a super support along the course!

Elle said...

My first half will be on May 13th and my husband will be running it with me.. his first too, and he will be by my side the whole way - even though he runs much faster than me.

Love that you are seeing yours through his first, too.

Have a great time on Sunday.

Unknown said...

Oh that is soooo awesome Elle - please let me know how your first half goes! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Tracy said...

How awesome to run with your husband!
I'm going to do my first half out of state and alone but for one person coming with me (my friend or mom, not sure which is coming..tho my mom IS a friend..lol) Because my hubby has to stay home with the kids (our son who is on the autism spectrum does not do well in large crowds).

BUT I will be doing two 5ks this year one with each child! I know those won't be PRs, but who needs a PR when you can do something like that with your kids? :)

John Hulsey said...

You are a rock star, Jen. I can't wait to see the pics of you and your husband on the course!

And this time next year, maybe I'll come join you in the Dirty Jerz!

SkinnyMeg said...

Yay, that is so awesome your hubs is on the running train! I tried to get mine, but he doesn't ever stick to it :) I'm running a 10 miler today just for fun, sometimes it's nice to just take it all in without the pressure of a pr! Oh, I totally agree about kim, wow wish I could get to looking so incredibly toned like that!!

Meister, Running While Smiling said...

I *knew* I liked you -- a fellow Jersey girl!

I've never paced anyone, but I did have a good friend run with my in my first half marathon a few weeks ago, which was really helpful -- she tends to run a touch slower than me, and kept me from firing right out of the gate and burning out too quickly. And, because I was still pushing her to run a bit faster than normal, she managed to PR! So we had a win-win situation. It was great.

Have a great time at the race; I've always wanted to run that one, everyone says is's great. Maybe I'll see you on the course next year!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Everyone has written such nice things so I won't mention the dirty thing I thought when I read that your husband is a HM virgin.
That's awesome that you've infected Marty with the desire to run. I'm hoping all of our enthusiasm for health and fitness is contagious! My husband usually tries to push me when we race, but the last 5k we did together I told him to be quiet. The chatter made it worse!

I'm thinking since he hasn't run in a while I might be pushing him this year. Question: Do you ever leave a man behind in order to PR? He would probably tell me to go ahead, but the guilt in me would be unbearable!

misszippy said...

What a cool thing to race w/ your hubs like that! I hope the day went really well for you both and that it's a memory to keep forever!

Jason said...

That is awesome. How did the race go? I'm assuming well b/c I saw the pic on Facebook but I want details.

Unknown said...

:) Race went well - thanks for all well-wishes -- I promise race recap by tonight / tomorrow morn at the latest!