Running, which was kind of a strange challenge I gave myself, early on - has gradually gone from something I dreamt impossible, to something I was struggling through and now to something I actually have found a passion for.
Explaining how you could love running to a non-runner is nearly impossible. I can't say I wasn't once in those "non-runner" shoes of disbelief over how one could love this... it's taken time, remember this entry?
Anyway, rather than 'splaining anything, I thought I'd do a good ol' fashioned, "top ten" list of reasons running makes me happy:
10. Sweat. You burn more calories in less time. Twenty minutes of running kicks twenty minutes of walking's ass when it comes to getting your burn on.
8. Weight loss - hello smaller clothes, good bye fat pants. Seriously. Last year I lost 7 pounds all year, since beginning to run in February I've lost 22 pounds. Thank you #10 and #9 on the list for your support.
7. Stuff. Races = cool crap. I've gotten everything from medals, to hats, to t-shirts and even free vitamins - an elliptical machine has never given me a damn thing.
6. Runners High. Running, still better than meds. Seriously, more bad moods and cranky feelings have been broken by running than anything else. I used to reach for a cigarette, alcohol or food (OK, sometimes I still reach for the occasional martini) but running has definitely helped me sort out more than one crabby moment or two.
5. Health. Oh yeah - I'm healthier. Well who the hell woulda thunk it? Eat better and exercise = excellent blood pressure, low blood sugar and good cholesterol. I'll be damned. Next they'll tell me it'll help me prevent stroke, heart attack, cancer and improve my sex life. What!? It does? What am I waiting for? Better get something sexy to wear - wake my non-running hubby up!
4. Swagger. That's right. I walk taller, feel more positive, even feel like there's a little more confidence to my step. I've run 13 miles... twice... biatch - I can do anything.
3. Other cool stuff - remember how excited I was when I got these socks? Or these new sneakers? I can't wait for my Nike + to hit Jersey (scheduled for tomorrow). Buying fun running stuff is always motivating.
2. Blogging. I have loved this blog, it's really made me figure out a lot of stuff, like working out of your comfort zone probably won't kill you and that eating a greasy cheeseburger the night before a marathon could be a bad idea. Running and this blog has gone hand and hand - if I wasn't running I'd have nothing to say. Kind of. I would say something - perhaps it would be far less motivational and far more cynical...
|Me and Ang - Jersey Shore May 2010|
PS: Karen, Sara, and everyone else who's followed this journey - thank you xoxoxo