Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Curses! Foiled again - I am queen of the dumb injury

I smile, he plots his next move...
Knock on wood, I haven't gotten injured actually running. However, this is the second time in my short running career, where I'll be sidelined due to some other dumb thing.

If you've been following me for a while, you might remember this horror of horrors of when I injured my toe nail with the fridge door, resulting in losing my big toe nail and being in a good deal of pain for a few weeks...

Now, the latest.  Yesterday, in typical 3 year old fashion, my son dumped his bowl of cereal on the floor. As I got on my hands and knees to pick it up, my son decided to climb up on to my left calf with both feet - 35 pounds or so of a bouncing toddler on your calf, probably isn't great. I yelped and got him off as quick as possible but Mommy's not sure she can run on it now.  As it was happening, a searing pain shot up the back of my calf and through my foot, cramping it up.  I'm not in agony or anything but my ankle and the area feels a little tweaked. Almost like when you "lightly" roll your ankle. I can walk on it - and it doesn't hurt enough to even have to pop an advil but I'm wondering if I should rest it for a few days?

It's very annoying because I wanted to run today, as I was putting on my running clothes I spoke to my best friend who thought it would be dumb to run and potentially aggravate this thing. She advised resting it and unfortunately, the small voice inside has been telling me that too.  

BOOO. Not my week! First the smelly guy / baggy pants incident of Monday and now this. All I want to do is get my freakin' run on. 

What would you do?

XO
Jen

3 comments:

The Skårtist said...

Definitely rest it for a day or two. Maybe start with a walk before going into a full out run... Then buy yourself a good set of safety pads to wear around the house... ha ha ha.

Anonymous said...

I vote get out there and run. IF it bothers you during the run, stop and then rest. You might find it isn't even noticeable.

I like this post, though, not because you're hurt (promise!), but because life with my kids is different now... post-race when they sit on my lap, they have to sit a certain way. I'm very upset if they step on me and it tweaks a muscle... or oh my dear, if they step on one of my toes... my poor, mistreated, partially mutilated toes. Ugh. Poor kids, mommy is soooooo sensitive to things that could ruin her running. LOL!

Unknown said...

@Sara - thanks, I will probably keep off it 'til Friday as i didn't go today and tomorrow I have a shoot. It still feels a little off. :( UGH... so annoying -

With that said - @Lesley, your advice is the advice I was looking for earlier today and I so would've gone if I got it! I'm itchy to get back to running, especially off not getting a longer run in the other day and feeling like I'm making progress with speed.

Either way, I'm soooo annoyed that I'm even in this sitch over such a dumb thing -- Ugh. he might have to go back in time out. lol