Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Facebook and running - Perfect together



I love Social Media. I admit it I have an obsession, addiction, appreciation for Facebook and Twitter.

Social Media has played a HUGE role in my running success. In fact I can easily say that I would be a whole different person with a whole different set of friends right now if the computer and all of its offerings weren't at my fingertips during this journey.

When I first started running I used this blog and Facebook to help keep me accountable. In those early days, the support and Facebook "likes" really motivated me to keep going.

I also found that the minute I started posting about my running - running friends came out of the woodwork to offer sneaker shopping recommendations, ideas about where to run in my town, training programs and so much more.

Looking back on the last three years I use social media DAILY to keep me motivated, to gather information, and yes - even (especially) to brag. For better or worse, many a long run was fueled by knowing that I was going to get to show off (just a bit) about that run!



Yes, Facebook, Twitter and this blog has been crucial to my success. I'm not sure where I would be without it.

Consider this - Thanks to social media:

  • I have found some of my closest running friends both in Jersey and across the country
  • I got an invite onto the 'Fat To Finish Line' Ragnar team that we're making a film about
  • I figured out a way to run multiple half marathons and one full
  • I became a top five finalist for Progresso Soup's "Souper Me" contest back in 2010
  • I found a way to keep track of my good days, bad days and all those miles! What would I do without Nike+'s social media and Daily Mile?
  • I got hooked up with Moms In Motion and many more friends
  • I was inspired to do yoga
  • I was motivated to try Facebook Challenges like this one I'm doing for March
And so much more.

Who doesn't get a little pick-me-up when a inspirational running quote scrolls past you on your feed?

Thank you I <3 a="" run="" to=""> for daily inspiration on FB!


I can't count how many times I've posted or tweeted running-related questions about countless things: Nutrition, foam rolling, pantsing my poop, suggested play lists, hydration systems, races, etc to get varied answers and feedback from runners across the globe. It's amazing. 

I honestly don't know if I would've stayed on this path if it weren't for social media, this blog and the wonders that come from my computer. I have to give it a lot of credit.

It also warms me to say that thanks to my own Facebook sharing, I've inspired a few others to get out there and give running a shot - it's a wonderful thing.

What about you? Do you think that Facebook, twitter, the computer age has helped your fitness / running?

XO
Jen





5 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I use to be big on using social media about my training and racing, not anymore, I really just use my blog for that now. I might post a pic of my finisher medal or a really cool race pic, but now, years later, I just stopped using it

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I am so thankful for all of my fitness friends that motivate and inspire me. Seeing what everyone else is up to gives me the kick in the pants I need to step up my game and keep things going. It's also comforting knowing that even though I may be home in the house, I'm still connected to so many people, just with some strokes of the keys! SO VERY GLAD WE'VE CONNECTED- and all thanks to the internet!!

Anonymous said...

I am with you on it. When I started run/walking in 2011 I knew I had to post or it wouldn't happen. Plus I am a data person I need spread sheets and all that to keep me motivated. Then once I was doing it on a regular and I had friends telling me that I was inspirational and what motivated them into running (their words not mine) I knew I had to keep going.

I have met so many new people in real life and on line through facebook and blogs that have helped me and like you mentioned were welcoming and so helpful with even what seemed like the silliest question.

keritew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Skysoft provides Computer Support, IT Management, and Cloud Management. From complete building cabling to complex software development.computer support orlando