Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lucky in Kentucky

The last two weeks have not been awesome in the world of running for me.

Right now I'm living the dream and in production in Kentucky on our first television pilot for network.  It's a big deal. After 3 years of working really hard my partners and I did it - we are getting a show on the air!

a pretty morning in KY
However, being away from the family, working 12+ hour days, 7 days a week, experiencing bad weather and having limited places to run has left my running pretty woeful. I managed to squeak in 1.25 miles two days ago during a little downtime and that helped to clear my mind but wasn't nearly enough. Besides not getting to really run the bigger challenge is being away from my family. I miss my son and hubby so much! They are making such a sacrifice for us but I do believe it will all pay off in the long run.

The other tough thing out here in rural KY is the food! It's not like there are Whole Foods to roll up on or even a nearby grocery store - 15 miles away for a little one - and not so shockingly no gluten-free or organic section ;) I found some rice cakes so I've been living on oatmeal, rice cakes, a little peanut butter, hard boiled eggs and potatoes. We are going to journey out to Walmart tonight after we quit for the day and hopefully replenish our fruit. We are trying. Local fare is mostly fried.

While I feel pretty bummed about the running I am proud of myself for making my "Hot in your tank top" March challenge a priority. It's only 4-5 strength training exercises for a set of 3 (about 10 - 15 mins of exercise total) but it's enough to get me sweating and though every night I want to sit down and have a glass of wine, I force myself to do this circuit first. I definitely feel happy about sticking to that commitment and if I didn't have that, there would be a good chance that I wouldn't be doing anything at all. :/

In other news, I got very lucky in Kentucky! I bought a PowerBall ticket for this past Wednesday's drawing and on a fluke I checked it - I hit 4 out of 5 numbers and won $100! Yippee! That's a 1 in 19,000 chance so that's pretty cool. If I had hit 5 (odds jump to 1 in 5 million) I would've one 1 million dollars!



I go home sometime this week, looking forward to getting a few good runs in.

How are things with you? Do you do monthly fitness challenges to keep on track?

XO
Jen




8 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

We miss you Jen! I'd text you but I know you're busy. I have finished 22 days of the I <3 To Run's March streak and I'm up to almost 57 miles this month. Congratulations on both the tv show and the win!

Katherine said...

beautiful pic, girl!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

Katherine said...

beautiful pic, girl!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com

Raye Johnson said...

Welcome to Kentucky! What part are you in? I live in Lexington, where I am lucky enough to have a Whole Foods, Good Foods, and Trader Joe's! Should I send you a care package?! Hope you enjoy your time in our beautiful state! And yes, our weather is pretty crappy right now, even though it is supposed to be Spring.....

Anonymous said...

First and foremost -- congratulations!! Your hard work and family sacrifices will most definitely pay off:)

I had to laugh a little when you said local far is mostly fried. I KNOW!! I'm originally from Maui where fresh local fare consists of bananas, apples, mango, coconut, etc. straight from the land and when I moved to Alabama for a boy I gained probably 30 pounds in 2 years. YUCK!

I'm glad to hear your still getting your sweat on no matter how difficult it has been -- some is better than none, so don't be too hard on yourself!

PS: That's AWESOME about the PowerBall ticket!! Every time my [ex]boyfriend's Dad goes to Kentucky, he buys those!!

bobbie said...

I'm right down the road from where you are if you would like to meet up to run?! Not sure what your average pace is but I'm kinda slow right now 4mi/9:30-9:40

Unknown said...

Raye - I do love KY - it's my fourth time here and we've usually stayed in/around Lexington which I LOVE. I even somehow caught big blue fever along the way and became a UK fan. ;-)

Right now I'm out in Rough River. It's gorgeous and I'm sure really beautiful once everything begins to bloom.

Where are you Bobbie? By the way your slow is fast for me! I run about 10'30 right now.

Z@KickingKilos said...

great pic Jen!
Now don't want to sound silly--but did you try the 'Kentucky' fried chicken in Kentucky ;)
x